Projekt :: "40" ::

looks awesome, I am gonna have to start keeping my eyes open at work for stuff like this. Way too cool. Do you have any plans for cooling inside the powersupply? Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any fans around there. I like that you can see very little of the power supply from the outside.

you should probably install an intake fan ... a 120mm would be really nice ... even better if you paint it red using metalcast to stealth it :D

The PSU box looks awesome. I have one concern though, it looks like you might need some more intake holes for proper airflow through the PSU box. I'd hate to see your PSU die because of that. Just my two cents. Again excellent work so far.

Captain Colonoscopy said:
The PSU box looks awesome. I have one concern though, it looks like you might need some more intake holes for proper airflow through the PSU box. I'd hate to see your PSU die because of that. Just my two cents. Again excellent work so far.

Actually, with the tiny heat sinks on it, and the really open look of the case, I would mount the PSU bare, with just an orange plexi under-plate. A tiny bit dangerous of course, but much better for ventilation, and once the case is sealed up, really no concern. Plus, you get that cool "box-o-components" look.

I will run the psu like that in a first time, there 's a 60mm fan for outtake warm air
and full of holes :)
Lot's of psu don't have intake air.
If it start to be too hot i'll find an idea to add a supp fan :p

Little change on the HDD place.
I've use tap's joint as silent block
alim013.jpg

The small L will be "dream-elized" to reduce them.

alim014.jpg

alim015.jpg

the screws are more sexy like that :)
alim016.jpg

alim017.jpg

And a global view..
alim018.jpg

alim019.jpg

bye

You know, I remember reading somewhere that the only position modern hard drives don't like is being diagonal. Vertical, horizontal, on edge, upside down... all fine.

I've never had a problem with hard drives just dangling at angles when I was copying stuff, oh well. Time shall tell. Looks great, dude.

Oh man, I really love the way this case is turning out. Its going to be very psychadelic when its done. Keep up the good work man.

I was thinking the same thing about the drive...I work for Apple and I know one of the issues the engineers had with the iMac G5's was the HD didn't like being horizontal and tilted a little...was causing a lot of data corruption and dead drives....if you are going to keep it like that I would recomend using bushings or gromits to isolate as much vibration from the drive as possible (that was what happened with the iMacs) but I love that case...would love to see if I could find something like that

10 degrees from horizontal or vertical is the limit on drives. Any more than that and you're risking it. Personally, I've never had a problem with a hard disk dangling outside a case, but then I've never really used a drive in that way for anything more than copying a few gig back or forth.

Also, I'd cover the intake holes that are closest to the fan on the psu. The first couple of inches. That way some air has to travel across the psu heat sinks. Using clear plexi would mean it'd be invisible. I'd use clear fans too. Possibly use some aluminium coloured model paint on the black bits (switch and the rim of the mains socket).

ok , let's put on the side all these technical consideration for doing some art :D

let's go for some déco.... :8

Dream-élization of the front.

front01a.jpg

front02a.jpg

front03a.jpg

I decided to paint the box in black
paint00.jpg

paint01.jpg

hope i won't paint nounouche in black :)....
paint02.jpg

paint03.jpg

paint04.jpg

paint05.jpg

bye

I would make the 40 part more pronounced... but then again I think it looks great in it's current state.

I really like it. What are the specs? (sorry if they were already posted, I'm in a hurry. ) :)

DUDE WOW.....this is an amazing idea.

I love everything about it. GREAT CHOICE ON THE COLOR. Can't wait to see more pics of the cooling setup and lighting. Very nice dude. Keep it up.

edit: IDEA :D drill little holes in the side of the feet and place some LEDs in them.

thanks a lot for the good comments :)

@ScHpAnKy : I'll put a 92 mm papst fan behind the "40" ..

@XeRo_Dark : Believe me it's not flimsy at all. The metal is very hard to cut !!! (2mm)

@Deathjester : The specs are:

proc : sempron 2800+
mobo : asus a7v400-mx
ram : actually 256m OCZ pc3200 (will change)
hdd : barracuda 120mg
video : 6600

I've 3 comps @ home - mine is "Alpha" (u'll can find it on the net)
- my son run "The O" (u'll can find it here :) )
- my gf run a P4 3.xx
and we all play together with a wifi lan - q3 , bf1942, seriuos sam .. (that is :p )

the mod will be for the home lan 's guest :D

Beautifull, truely unique. The way you have the drive mounted is very interesting. It looks awsome, but what good is functional art if it doesn't function? Be kind to your drive.

lo
this is the full display rack , the box is put on the bottom
varta.jpg

worked on the "L" used to held the HDD (shortened ????) ...
papatte01.jpg

then orange fluo painted
papatte02.jpg

I've else painted some "serre-flex" (dont know the english word)
- before
serretruc01.jpg

- after
serretruc02.jpg

damn, these rings are tooo crazy :D
neuneuf.jpg

and nounouche again ...(she love orange too :D )
2.jpg

Looks really original!

I think the same way as all those people.. make that HDD vertical just in case.

Also, I would make a bigger hole for the PSU, maybe another "40" logo or something?.. just to increase the air flow out of there. By the way, where are you sucking air from? the bottom? that will bring in lots of dust! yuck! how about sucking air from the inside of the case or from the oposite side of the case?

okay okay ... u win ...for the psu , i've made a hole in the back of the case and added a 80mm fan for the intake, i will post pics tomorrow..(even if i still think that my 60mm in outtake was enough but the majority is the majority ..lol)
If i put the HDD vertical the video card is too long :D (i've testd with my 6800gt) no choise

Are you useing a torch to clear out the cut edges of the plexie?

Im wonder how you did it it looks good...

i use sand-paper, i start with [h]ard paper and i finish with 1200 , it could be better with 2000 , but this last one is a bit [h]ard to find :p

ps: sorry for the pics , i'll post tomorrow...

wal-mart has 2000 .. go to the car paint section ...

Unless you don't live in North America. Then I can't help you

edit: I guess you live in France

Well .. You might be able to find it at a auto store

I've worked a bit more on something i started a few days ago..
the DVD's look

dvd01.jpg

dvd02.jpg

dvd03.jpg

dvd04.jpg

dvd05.jpg

dvd06.jpg

dvd07.jpg

dvd08.jpg

see ya for the rest of this thing (connexion to 12v) and for the psu INTAKE fan :D

that's a very cool compliment , thanks :)

You win else for the HDD positionning .....
nhdd00.jpg

nhdd01.jpg

nhdd02.jpg

I'll need to arrange this molex on the bottom of the pics (she 's very closed to a condo)
nhdd03.jpg

Shinny HDD :naughty:
nhdd04.jpg

nhdd05.jpg

nhdd06.jpg

I love to start many things so..let's go for the handlers
Found these ones in a big market BHV , they are used for furniture
go well with the box mesh :)
poign01.jpg

added orange plexi beside:
poign02.jpg

poign03.jpg