Project: Vash (Trigun)

This is an on-going project log... ENJOY!

Hey everyone! My name is Jessica and I'm new to [H].

This will be my first project ever, and all comments, ideas, suggestions are welcome. Also any help or tips offered are very welcomed since I am new at modding.

This will be a mid/low end computer since I will just be using it as a HTPC using only component out so I can use it for the tv in my room so the hardware that goes into it isn't high end. Mostly just having anime episodes play from the hard drive to the tv. The computer I'm using right now is fairly high-end though so I guess it makes up for this ones low-end-ness lol.

Thanks so much for the RAM and Processor Pijo! @ SystemCooling.com :D

Specs:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 2 Black

Athlon XP 1600 1.4 Ghz Processor
PC Chips Socket A mobo, I know they suck but I needed a cheap red mobo.
Radeon 7000 (Red pcb)
Crucial DDR266 256mb ram
Optiplex CD-RW Black
Arctic Cooler HS/Fan
Seagate 40Gb HD
Antec 430W PSU

The PCB's are red to follow the theme :)

Also if anyone has 80mm Red LED fans they could donate to the Vash project that'd be great! I have less than $3 right now so I can't buy any pwned

Mods:

Custom Fan Grills
Dremel out fan holes in front and back
Dremel out a window sand edges smooth
Paint chasis Duplicolor Metalcast RED
Custom etching on window
Sleeve the Antec 430W with Vantec Black sleeving kit
Cut out plexy to fit onto bottom of case use adhesive spray and pour sand onto it then clean. Place empty shell casings onto sand for a just fired effect hot glue them and not close to mobo, purchase a .45 caliber gun (plastic) and place next to fired shells.
Raise Plexy 1 cm to make room for wiremanagment trap door dremel out places for wiring.

Images of the case when I just got it!

casebox.jpg

frontview.jpg

Sideview.jpg

backview.jpg

You see why I'll be dremeling new fan holes, these are very bad for air flow.

This is just a concept done in Photoshop of the fan grills I will be making using polymer clay.

Trigun Fan Grill

fangrill3.jpg

Half finished drive bay that I haven't finished painting since it was raining out that day.
bayred.jpg

Here you can see the finished fan holes I cut out one in front and one in back :)
fanhole1.jpg

Just got in my hardware from NewEgg and some of it is still on its way.

I'm in need of DDR266 so anyone that has some lying around and wouldn't mind letting me have a stick please let me know :D
hardware.jpg

This is the gun that I'll be painting either silver or chrome, what do you guys think?? And then model a revolver to place onto the side.
DesEag.jpg

I guess I should add in a disclaimer: Follow all local gun policies, safety laws, and regulations. Guns are not to be handled by minors unless under parental supervision which is still dangerous. Do not brandish a weapon in public or it will lead to serious consequences including ones that could threaten life.

This is the latest I've done, finished it at 7AM this morning. 09/04

I have a question though that anyone can answer, but look at the modded PSU first!
Should I leave it as is? Or paint it with the Metalcast red (see through paint)??!

The whole sanding process took me about 4-5 hours. Used a 2 way motion with a sanding block. (Grits of 320, 400, 600, 800, 1500, and 2000 followed up with rubbing compound)

Stock image of the Antec430W True Power:
Antec_PS-TRUE430_lg.jpg

Now here it is after sanding/modding. Will be adding sleeving after a few people answer my question about painting the outside of this PSU.

An overall pic:
PSU2.jpg

A side pic with masking tape still on the Antec 430W sticker had to cover it while sanding, I just wanted to preserve the sticker incase I needed to know what volt each rail has! Kept the masking tape on so that I don't have to do it again when I paint it.
PSU3.jpg

Pic of where the 92mm fan should be masked that too so metal dust couldn't get into it. Since Antec stamped their logo in I couldn't get inside the circle which is why its still kind of grey-ish but managed to shine the Antec logo.
PSU4.jpg

My hands and arms are very tired now LoL

I've decided to pick up some metal polish when I can and get enough money to. And then paint the PSU red. I've also had people tell me to remove the antec sticker, I'll be sticking that on the Cooler Master case somewhere that only I can see when I need to.

Another Update 09/04

My half finished drive bay is now finished! Along with the piece that holds the PCI slots, its supposed to be easier I guess for people to use but I just didn't like the stock color! hehe.

(Oh if anyone is wondering, the thing I used for a quick picture surface is a side panel I painted for my bf's case that I'm modding its a dark blue which changes colors in different lighting to red.)

I've put that case on hiatus since the Cooler Master Case Mod Contest (CMCMC) will be ending on September 17th! And I need to work on my case haha I don't think I'll be able to meet the deadline though!

painted1.jpg

UPDATE 09/08

I got to cut out the side panel and the top panel today. Since it is going to be a suprise I'm going to upload all pics when I am completely finished with both panels

Also painted the power supply, thought that I would be able to see through the metalcast red paint to the chrome-ish sand job, but can't so the sanding was wasted lol. It's okay though, we all know that it's still there. I'll post pics of the PSU. And only 1 pic of the top panel so that you can guess what I'll be doing. Can't post the side panel pic since it already has what I want to do drawn down onto it.

psured3.jpg

psured2.jpg

psured5.jpg

-----
Secret Top Window:
(once again used the side panel I painted from another case as a surface lol!)

Toppanel.jpg

Updates 09/21

Woohoo I've got some updates for everyone! Sorry for the lack of, been having a rough time at home. I had a really awesome birthday and weekend and hung out with friends for a while but now I am back to the mod scene! LoL

So here are a few pictures of what I've done today, also since I didn't have an acrylic cutter I had to use my dremel with the fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels. Doesn't matter too much since you won't be able to see it when its in

1st up is the main plexy window which is 1/4"
WindowEtch.jpg

2nd up is the mini etch (which I won't talk about too much)
Smalletch.jpg

and 3rd is the gun which I tried to paint chrome but it doesn't look too good, also I ran into a little trouble the gun is larger than the case if I lay it on the bottom of the case so...I'm thinking of maybe taking it and putting it outside somewhere...or I could hang it with invisible string to the inside of the case...I'm not too sure right now what to do but I'll think of something. (Theres still masking tape attatched lol)
chromed.jpg

Just finished painting the inside of the case today, and I chrome painted the underside of the top panel so that when I put the red LEDs in that they would help by reflecting the light. I won't be posting the image of the top panel yet, since I want everyone to see it when I'm completely finished.

The rest of today I think I will be working on sanding and priming the panels for a glossy black mid coat. I need more $ to buy some paint!!! LoL :LOL:

Overall image:
casered.jpg

Front View:
casered2.jpg

Back View:

casered3.jpg

It looks like it will be an interesting case setup.

An idea if you have a budget that allows you to spend a few pennies would be to make your case similar to objects seen in the Trigun world (in other words a "dirty future") instead of a "clean case".

Looks good so far though.

As a fan of anime, I definitly look forward to seeing this mod to it's completion. :)

For your gun problem you could make a plexi cover for the back of your video card and then make a metal post so the weight is shared with the case and have it lay ontop of that with the barrel going along side the CPU heatsink and somehow attach it so it doesnt move

Wow, that really looks promising, I like the idea ( as I am myself working on an anime based case mod ;) )

I've seen a replica of Vash's gun somewhere, so if you're as good with milliput as you seem to be with spray paint/dremel, I guess you could "clone" it using your current gun :D

neway, I'll just keep stalking this thread until it's complete :D

PS : welcome in a casemodding hell, among vicious lustfull males :D

about that gun placement issue, why not sticking it inside the windowed pannel ? ( I mean, stuck inside the case, window side )

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone and glad that there is also interest in a modder who does light mods compared to some that I've seen!

I've actually thought of getting rid of the gun entirely, but will let everyone know what happens as soon as I rethink it over.

Hey look its mashie! Hey mashie!!! :p :D

Hey Jess, welcome. :)
For gun I would say that I believe I've seen a model kit for one so I'll try and find some links for you. You should see what Stresstest did with his keyboard and mouse too, that should give some more ideas. ;)

I've had some ideas for a Vash mod after looking at my Vash toy (it's not the Mcfarlane one!) for awhile now but it's not something I've gotten around too. Instead I've been working on a Lain case mod theme myself. :)

Did you do that etching? It looks pretty good. If you talk with a guy named Bonz I'm sure that you can probably get a custom made Vash fan grill. :)

Thanks! I have seen a model kit of Vash's, but it costs $100-200 :( wish I had that kind of $. Thanks for the link on the mouse and keyboard mod, they look awesome! You're right I did the etching myself with a dremel :) Bonz does some astounding work, but I'm actually going to do this on my own every step of the way. Yes it has been tough! I haven't had any "outside" help except for gathering up hardware. LoL

Amazing work. Could you share a few tips on the etching? I've been experimenting a little with etching but can't get it to look right. Do you use any accessories, like flex shaft or a router guide or anything? And, if you know, what etching bits do you use?

this looks pretty good so far. i have a few friends who would like this theme... maybe i should send them this thread link.

nice work on the etching especially.

good luck!

ShadowAngel said:
Amazing work. Could you share a few tips on the etching? I've been experimenting a little with etching but can't get it to look right. Do you use any accessories, like flex shaft or a router guide or anything? And, if you know, what etching bits do you use?

Haha I'm glad everyone shows interest in the etching! It's the one I worked the hardest on, 5 hours (took breaks every 30 minutes). Sure I'll share some etching tips with everyone. They're actually more like tricks than tips, but anyway...onto the topic.

You will need to purchase etching bit #105 and #107 located at your nearest Home Depot, Lowes or sometimes Walmart. Since these bits are 3/32 you will also need to purchase a new collet, don't forget this or else the bits will just slide right out while you are etching.

Also pick up a sheet of acrylic if you don't have one already, I purchased 1/4" acrylic but they say 1/8" is best. Choose whichever suits your needs.

Print out an image that you would like to etch, don't forget to invert/flip the image. Tape this to the back of a sheet of acrylic. Peel off the protective layer ontop of the acrylic on the other side and this is where you will start etching. I found it best to have your eyes over what you are etching because depending on the thickness of the acrylic you purchased it creates a reflective mirror, kind of like viewing an object in a glass filled with water. So don't forget to always have a constant viewing angle while etching.

I used the flexshaft for better precision. While working you will need to have a firm grasp on the flexshaft handle. The reason being is that sometimes the bit wants to go somewhere on its own accord. Start out with 5,000-10,000 rpms, and use light pressure while still maintaining a firm grip. Practice before you actually start, because there isn't really any margin for error if you are doing a large piece like the Vash window. If you would like to accomplish a layered effect you can turn the rpms all the way to 35,000 again with light preassure trace the image do this only if you are incorporating 2 seperate images it allows things to look more 3D than just 2D. I haven't tried this yet for Project: Vash, but it works.

Good luck with your etching!

Update 09/27!!!

Just working on custom cutting my fan grills, thought why not use the large piece of metal left over instead just throwing it away. Thanks to Dimazz for the idea and guide located at his personal site.

Customfancut.jpg

A pic of my dremel after cutting the window and hole, the disk is worn a bit but I'll be needing it! This is basically my only tool for modding other than a screw driver! LoL

dremall.jpg

Few more case pictures, and a clear one of the front. Now you can see the fan wire grill that I painted black, I'm using a black fan in the front since you can't see it and matches the Black & Red theme.

frontred.jpg

Bird's eye view of the inside of the painted case.

redbirdseyeview.jpg

ooo a girl...

interesting... cant wait for more pics
you could add some "hair" to the top of the case...
Use those fiberoptic light thingies coming out the top...
how about some air intakes in the shape/form of bullet casings?
some nice lettering on the side... etched im guessing...
i like the trap door idea...

Anime Rox!
Dark Angel Rox!

Girl modders...

Cool- I had been wondering if someone was going to a anime-based mod. I'll be watching this thread .... :cool:

Thanks for all the great replys! :D

What lettering on the side do you mean? I don't see it lol

Wooohoo for Girl Modders lol...also a Grill modder ;) hahaha

bullet hole blow holes anyone?

Also, you may want to look into finding a cheap replica of the Colt45 Long that Vash uses.

I haven't been able to find a cheap replica...nothing on ebay either just the model kit which is $170. I wish I had enough $ to pay for it though would definately make my project complete! Well I guess I'll have to wait. I just got a job so I may be able to purchase one this month. We shall see.

Thanks for the great compliments everyone!

Update October 1st!

Yes another update from me! Woohoo aren't you all excited? I hope you are!

Finished cutting out the holes for the custom grills, need to get the screw holes done for it.
customgrills.jpg

Here you see my fiberglass reinforced cut off wheels! One on the left hasn't been used and the little one I'll be using for something special.
cutdisks.jpg

Here you'll see the top panel and the side panel already primed and ready for the midcoat which is gloss black! Can't wait to see the panels finished I am drooling with anticipation! Jk!
2panelsprimed.jpg

If any of you were wondering why I haven't shown any pics of the other side panel it's because that I want it to be completely finished before anyone sees. I think only Mashie has seen this side panel and another friend of mine who came over my house.

But here is a teaser image for everyone!
teaser.jpg

Mini Update 2:09PM Oct. 1st

I'm keeping them updates comin' just for you lol

Some pics of the top panel...I am about 85% done! Woohoo lol it has taken 4 hours to get to this point so far. And later this afternoon I'll post pics of the top panel completely finished, since I'm waiting to get more supplies for the other panels.

Top Panel with Sanded mid-coat and ready for another application of Mid.
midcoatsanded1.jpg

Top Panel with Clear coat ready to be sanded again.
toppanelclear.jpg

Closer shot of the Top Panel.
toppanelclear2.jpg

So here are the steps of painting in a nutshell lol.

Sand
Prime
Sand
Midcoat
Sand
Midcoat
Sand
Top coat
Finishing Sand
Rubbing Compound
Car Wax

Update 10/02

Shiny-ER lol

And here we go...paint job is now 100% finished!!! :grin: Next I just need to wait so that I can use some car wax on it haha

Just to let you know it was REALLY tough trying to get pics without seeing me in the reflection LoL I think the side panels will be tougher.

Picked up lots of reflections here
toppaneldone.jpg

Used the ring so that you can only see it as the reflection, sorry the cam isn't good for close ups.
toppanelring.jpg

JessAlba452 said:
Just to let you know it was REALLY tough trying to get pics without seeing me in the reflection LoL I think the side panels will be tougher.
Why would you try to avoid it? Pictures of the modder caught on film in such an unexpected manner adds a personal touch, if you know what I mean. Much like the occasional finger, toe, sock, toys of the children/cats and who knows what else can be seen in other project logs :D

In regards to the project, I don't think that you can omit the space ships, or at least some parts of them in the final design, as these play a big role in the Trigun story.

Elledan said:
Why would you try to avoid it? Pictures of the modder caught on film in such an unexpected manner adds a personal touch, if you know what I mean. Much like the occasional finger, toe, sock, toys of the children/cats and who knows what else can be seen in other project logs :D
She's a chick so she might be worried about any possible "stalker" thing, you know? It's different if you and I post pics of ourselves since we don't have girl parts if you know what I mean. ;) Atleast if I was a chick I'd worry about that stuff, my little sister just started middle school so I have to worry about "boys" now and I remember what it was like around that age. :(

So shiny....
It seems almost fake without having a persons reflection to compare...
I know some girls who take pictures then paste someone else's pic over theirs...
its funny...
U could always crop in a pick of JMA :D

so mooth... and shiny...
wait... shiny Vash???
We gonna be able to see our reflection in his forehead?

lol I'm glad the shine is mesmerising! :p I just finished installing the mini-window

Without Flash:
topetch4.jpg

Taken with flash:
topetch.jpg

Overall Piccy:
topetch2.jpg

show pics of this girl modder who is into anime, and i'll be satisfied.... surprised no one has asked yet...

I used a dremel for everything :D I don't know if I'm an artist really....what do you think?? :confused:

LoL me post pics of a girl modder who is into anime? Hmm...I'll think about that one, because I don't know any "other" girls who mod and like anime. ;)

Back