Project: Ultra Defender

Dallas

n00b
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
42
So here is my first electronics project, which is also the first "mod" to my case. This fanbus a work in progress, I plan to add a few more things to the front panel. Right now it consists of 4 on-off-on switches with 2 LEDs per switch. Down is low (7v, 1 LED), up is high (12v, 2 LEDs). Sorry the photo's white balance is off, I am posting this on a spare computer while I wait to order new parts.

I got all of these parts from www.allelectronics.com.

First I came across a project board and decided to put it to use. I soldered some plugs for my fan connectors first.
405173771_92f5d3e391_o.jpg


I put a switch and LEDs on it that I had already made to make sure everything worked the way I thought it would, and it did.
405173935_c5f62dd935_o.jpg


Here is the board with the resistors for the LEDs and some leads for the fan connectors. Oh and the big ugly molex connector.
405173887_0af7828195_o.jpg


The bottom with all the solder joints. This is the first time I have soldered before.
405173735_5457f1d317_o.jpg


Here is the drive bay that everything is going in. Originally I was going to use a 3in bay but I sure am glad I chose a 5, there is a lot more room. There is the DPDT switches and LEDs.
405173756_8ec4a29d32_o.jpg


Here is the beginning of the mistake I made. Instead of soldering the leads to the panel then to the board, I did it the hard way. I put them on the board first, then to the front. That turned out to be a real big pain in the ass to connect the two together. If only I had stopped and thought for an extra half second..
405173812_54efdf3dde_o.jpg


Here it is coming together..
405173857_2d35f340d5_o.jpg


And here it is finished. What a mess. But it worked the first time!
405173912_3f33e23904_o.jpg


405173796_d0486a3035_o.jpg


405173838_8e90c4d75c_o.jpg


And here it is in my case. Man it sure is nice to have, and it was very simple to make even for a first timer. It may not be the peatiest though but I made it! I am ordering new parts next week for my new computer and that will start round two of my modding.

405173723_1c389ca323_o.jpg
 
Back
Top