Project Tux

AaronP

[H]F Junkie
Project Tux is my personal project that I've been waiting to do for a few months now. It's already been underway and I just hadn't thought too much about taking pictures of it and etc till just now :p.

Task List:
Cut out hole for Acrylic Window [ Done ]
Place Drill holes for both the side panel and the acrylic [ Done ]
Put trim on the edges of the panel [ ] (I don't have any, but I just ordered some from Xoxide)
Bolt the acrylic window to the side panel [ Sorta Done ]*
Paint the Case [ PENDING ]**
Place Tox Memorabilia [ ](Tux Fan Grill, Tux Window Decal, etc)
Paint the Optical Drives [ ]
Replace Power Supply [ ]
Sleeve the wires [ ]
Replace Already Present HDD and Power LEDs [ ]
Place Cold Cathodes [ ]
Place Cold Blue LED Fan [ ]
Replace CPU HSF [ Done ]
Replace Motherboard [ ]
Purchase Low Cost Video Card [ ]
Purchase New RAM [ ]

* I mounted the window but only because I got tired of it sitting around, I'm currently waiting for the trim to arrive.

** In the pictures you will see a 1/2 ass job of painting, I didn't really take my time with it and I paid for it in the end (It cost me around $10 :p). I'll be sanding the actually metal part down (the front bezel is plastic) and repainting it. I also haven't painted the door yet.

Pictures of the 1/4 ass done project:
Sorry my digital camera JUST died (like it won't accept the charge of the batteries) so I'll show you it ASAP.

Parts being considered for the replacement parts:
Motherboard
512MB Stick of RAM (Keep in mind this isn't an expensive computer so the parts I pick out are very reasonable for it's overall purpose)
Power Supply
Video Card

Tux Crap I'm buying to put on/in the case:
Tux Fan GrillThis will go inside the case on the fan, no need to have a 15$ fan grill in the back :p.
Tux Decal
Tux Case Badge

Leon2ky said:
Project Tux is my personal project that I've been waiting to do for a few months now. It's already been underway and I just hadn't thought too much about taking pictures of it and etc till just now :p.
_
Looks like a nice project! Gimme some pics :)

To give you an idea of what it used to look like here is a picture of the same model that I'm modding:
original.jpg

Major Difference is that mine has a different CD-RW, the original owner replaced it after a CD literally exploded inside the other drive (I don't know and I don't care how).

001.jpg

That glow is emitted by 1 very bright LED Fan I bought off Xoxide.com :p

002.jpg

As you can see this is hardly a finished project. And my camera is doing a bad job of showing how bright that fan is but damn it really is bright when I think about it :p.

003.jpg

Closer up shot of the door.

004.jpg

Rear View

005.jpg

PIcture with flash on, shows the extreme contrast of the unpainted door.

006.jpg

Clearer shot of the front. Notice that there is no lit LEDs, I've gotta clean up the LED backlight on the on switch (Used to be gray with an "E" beveled out but I sanded it down).

I'll post pictures once I get the trim in place and once I re-paint the case, I gotta sand the metal parts (The paint is chipping off where I sat my printer on it) I'm going to give it a nice polished look :).

Oh and if anyone's curious here are the system specs:
Intel Celeron 1.8Ghz 400Mhz FSB 128KB L2 Cache
340MB PC2100 DDRAM (Going to replace the 128MB Stick with a single stick of 512MB PC3200)
Intel 854 Chipset Motherboard (Going to replace with this)
Intel Extreme Graphics (Likely going to put in a Radeon 9250 in the PC)
56K Modem (Still have it just took it out cause the Mobo is a Peice)
350W Power Supply (Replacing with a 400W with 2 Fans)
40GB 7200 Hard Drive (keeping may add a 80GB later down the road)
Running on Kubuntu Linux 5.04 (w00t!)

Update!

I got my cathodes and Trim in :D. Unfortunately the Trim is too short so I can't do the whole window :(. I'll be ordering more trim (more Shipping $ down the drain :() and I'm going to place the cathodes AFTER I order the new PSU and Motherboard. (Which I may be ordering in a couple weeks).

Yesterday was a said day :(. I recieved my computers (I shipped them here to Florida because I'm going to be here for the summer doing some IT work) and my side panel window on Tux was bashed in, and the RAM was stolen out of it. Good thing I insured it $900, I also got my main rig slightly bashed and I insured it the same amount. I've already taken it up with Fedex and I'm going to be recieving claim papers any day now. I have to halt the project till all is cleared with Fedex though. OH well that's $1800 in my pocket, I'll use it to upgrade some parts on Tux and upgrade my main rig.

That blows. :(

Anyways when I saw the project title I almost thought you where going to use the Tux case.

Project Tux has officially been cancelled. By Fedex standards my computer(s) has been officially lost. This project was suppose to be my summer project but unfortunately that wasn't the case. (no pun intended). I will start up project tux again once I build a new, Shuttle Based server. Expect this late fall or the beginning of 06.

falsexfate said:
what did you end up getting in return? any compensation?

In total for both the PC's I got $1300. And a good $300 of that is going to a trip to CT.

Too bad about Tux. I was hoping it would be that Linux penguin, but it's disappointing about FedEx. At least they compensated you!

Back