Project: Skunkmunkey Stacker

Looks great! Nice work so far. As for the cracking paint, did you sand the case before painting? It also looks like it might have been too thick a coat for the primer. Primer for steel, aluminum and plastic can be different, I think... paint for one might not bond properly to another, unless the paint specifies that it's for that specific surface.

I think you are right, i sanded it down with some p80 wet n dry and really gave the metal a good scratching, also turned up the heater in my spray room. Managed to get a perfect finish on it now, so more pics later today :)

Great mod!

I had the same problem with my paint in my last case build. I do believe it has to do with adhesion to what ever surface you are painting. I had the same issue when painting over other paints and even over acrylic sheet. Its a pain in the ass. In my case it almost always happened on the final color coat, or on the clear coat so I'd loose hours of work.

got the first white coat on the case down, damn this thing soaks up some paint, took me 2 1/2 tins to get a good even coat down, got to go buy some more when I get back to work on monday, Have decided to redo the 2 side panels as they have a few chips on the corners, also got some 3m film (used for car doors etc) to protect the parts that will receive the most wear. Its finally starting to take shape now and im really pleased with the results so far.

P1000207.jpg

P1000208.jpg

ok, 6 colour coats and 3 clear later i have got the top painted, cant sand and buff out the marks, orange peel for at least 20 days tho, nothing worse than doing all that work and finding a few permanent finger prints in the paint coz it hasnt cured properly.

P1000222.jpg

P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

P1000227.jpg

Now i gotta start work on the insides :) this is the bit I was looking forward to doing :)

The top is looking AWESOME!

I have seen a few "air scoops" on the tops of PC's, and they always look slapped in. The work you have done here makes it look like it belongs here, more like an exotic car and less like a tuner. Nice!

Ok, been a while and I had a few disasters in the meantime but im back and have made good progress :) I dropped the case causing the vent to split form the top. Here it is all rebulit and strengthened.

P1000531.jpg

P1000529.jpg

P1000546-1.jpg

P1000548.jpg

P1000550.jpg

think the paint came out better too. teh side panels and the top part also were damaged so had to fix that too:

P1000570.jpg

P1000571.jpg

Heres a quick mock up of the Vantec fan controller Im modding. Obviously will be a bit neater and the knobs will be straightened. The knobs are actually dust caps in case you were wondering:

P1000584.jpg

And today I got the side panels polished, they still need a bit of work bu they are almost there now, if you look just below the window you can see a part where the paint has a weird bubble in it, this is gonna be covered so i wont bother fixing it.... It s taken me far too long already.

P1000616.jpg

P1000617.jpg

P1000618.jpg

P1000619.jpg

P1000620.jpg

P1000621.jpg

Also few shots of my new Crucial ballistix Tracer ram

P1000623.jpg

That Cadillac motif with the pink pearl looks seriously p1mp! Dr. Dre would be proud. :D

okrather large update today, been so busy with work and so on its been hard to find time to post. Anyway on with the update.

P1000662.jpg

P1000666.jpg

rad fitted in bottom of case.

P1000668.jpg

P1000676.jpg

Heres the first leather panel, this goes over the rad and that is a genuine Cadillac badge. can see my chrome D5 pump housing, got that a while back but havent had a chance to use it. Goes well with the mod.

P1000681.jpg

P1000678.jpg

P1000679.jpg

you will see what this is later ;)

reservoir008.jpg

really dont know why I polished this res as you wont be able to see it., looks cool tho.

P1000700.jpg

P1000703.jpg

P1000704.jpg

Got the switches put in, top polished and mesh fitted in the roof, really pleased with how this turned out.

reservoir011.jpg

the leather panels are coming together now, these are MDF lined with akasa acoustic foam and fake leather. You can also see that piece I showed you earlier.

reservoir013.jpg

can see the panel in front of the drivebay, those knobs are a modded vantec fan controller, the knobs are actually cadillac dust caps.

reservoir014.jpg

reservoir010.jpg

Fitted 2 aerocool turbine fans to the front panel, not finished yet but this gives you an idea how it will look.

P1000766.jpg

decided to remake the part on the left out of mdf, turned out nicely, just needs painting now :)

DSC00146.jpg

some of the hardware going in :)

DSC00147.jpg

gotta love this block, goes so well with my theme.

DSC00149.jpg

all fitted on the commando

DSC00152.jpg

some loop cleaning/leak testing

DSC00153.jpg

getting there now, all filled with fesser 1 purple coolant. More updates soon, be finshed within the next 2 weeks i hope.

Great mod dude! Maybe I should try to do a car mod oned ay! Careful with the gtx i think its got aluminum in there. get the copper top for it!

im not too fussed really, by the time it becomes an issus the pc will have been upgraded and new blocks needed lol. The res is aluminium anyway so hoepfully the fesser water will do its job and minimise and battery effect.

damn dude.. that looks really sharp...
i love the style of the fans and the grill on the front.

Back