Project: Satan's Deuce

thanks everyone for the kind words. I just finished the grill for it last night, I am finishing the case this weekend. The final images of this piece will be posted today and tomorrow. I decided to abandon using rods for the grill and instead made slats much like those found on the real cars. The grill is black and the edges are polished just like the real deal. I must say hell must be like making the slats by hand as i did, each one had to be hand filed to fit, there are 23 total each one 1/8" thick. The rods were way to thick to be to scale and looked awkward compared to the slats.

Just popped in to see the case. AWESOME!!

The big grinn fan covers are neat, but wouldn't 'Moon Eyes' be more in keeping with the theme?

Stinky

I have a minor technical query. On your tuck-and-roll, did you use leather or vinyl? If vinyl, do you think there would be electo-static issues with dry air moving over it constantly? Did you make provisions for static to be discharged through the case?

Your artistry is awesome. "Awesome" is really inadequate, but it's the closest English word that's appropriate. Thanks for sharing your creativity and realizing your vision.

well if static was an issue..well its not....

the vinyl (if thats what it is) is touching the case....which is grounded straight to the wall socket ground (via the PSU)
so...no static

The big grinn fan covers are neat, but wouldn't 'Moon Eyes' be more in keeping with the theme?
Moon eyes are cool, but I dont want any company logos on the case besides CI and my own.

A grill and a grill.
I abandoned the rods in favor of the more accurate look of slats. The slats are 1/8" thick and 1" wide. I had to cut and file each one to fit. I also added the bead edge around the perimeter of the grill space. The bezel grill is entirely made of plastics to keep the weight reasonable.
IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

The 120mm front intake with grill:
IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

Just awsome Bonz!! I just hope the winner puts in parts that are worthy of such a case.

Just awsome Bonz!! I just hope the winner puts in parts that are worthy of such a case.
I know the feeling man. I wish I had time to search out meaningful contacts at places like Corsair and AMD so I could get hardware donated for these projects, I hate to show them with no engine in them.
I just dont have time to try and dig up the people who might be able to authorize such a thing for thier company.
This monster would look nice with dual video cards or a SATA raid array. Or even a nice mobo with color matching pcb, or a pin striped matching lcd screen. I could think of a lot of ways to accesorize this beast :)

It might just be me, but I don't care whether there's an actual computer inside this case or not. It's a true work of art :)

I like the idea of trading one's soul for this case ^_-

here are some decent daytime shots.
The trees reflect pretty nicely in the clearcoat.
I know the door edge seam looks rather messy, but there is a black felt gasket that goes between the door and case body that covers that, I just have not put it on yet. The felt acts to keep light from seeping out the edge of the door when it is closed and keeps the door from banging shut and damaging the paint over time.
IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

Yes, you can see right through it when back lit properly, sweetness supreme:
IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

I have been following this mod with interest since it was first posted in the logs, with a name like Satan's Deuce how could you not be interested?

Congrats and hats off, killer mod there.

Man, this case is incredible.Overwhelming. Hope I'm not too late in saying it, but that doesn't dilute the truth of the matter ;)

I've got some questions for you on the make of the case - could you explain a little bit about the grille slats? I'm thinking about a Buick-inspired mod myself, and I'd be interested in doing a similar door grille mod. What material were the slats made of, what did you do for the polished chrome look on the outer edge, and how are they affixed to the door (are they glued on to the fiberglass, did you make notches and insert them)?

Also, is there a place where I could read more about the foam/fiberglass molding?

Thanks for any help, and again truly a remarkable, inspirational work of modding :D

I've seen some impressive mods... but this is one of those casemods that is nothing short of art. Beautiful mod, bonz.

this thing is awsome. you really should take it to a hot rod show. i bet you they'd appriciate it. love the red interior, that was a move of genious. also like htose hinges. i was thinking of using those on my case as well, but i prolly wont be able to get them whole sale like you did. awsome stuff, a pure work of art.

nah, those hot rod guys are not hugely "into" computers.

Sweet sweeeeet case!! I love the look, fantastic! what happened to the skulls in the flames and things?

Skaal-tel said:
nah, those hot rod guys are not hugely "into" computers.

I think you'd be surprised Skaal-tel. CAD-CAM machining is a big part of the hot rodding scene these days, and I think plenty of rodders would get a huge woody over this case. Especially if it matches their car. :D

Although, there is a movement in rodding to return to the "roots" of hot-rods, with all vintage parts, original paints and pin-striping. Check out the work of the "Choppers" Car Club in LA for an example of real purist hot rodding. Don't call 'em rat-rods though... you'll get a nasty reply.

That has got to be one of the coolest, most origional mods I've seen to date. Just Awesome!!

Mach5

Thanks so much for all the compliments.
I have already been asked to build a second and third Satan's Deuce, one for someone who wanted to give it to his Dad's who owns a matching car, and a third version to a guy from Norway. It looks like the Norway project will be built first, I have agreed to make some changes to the design and sweep back the grill to look more like a 1934 ford roadster grill, and change out the paint to blue/green flames on black base with black upolstry.

just keep a fire extinguisher by your case cause the matting in the case can heat up and ingulf in flames! then it would be hard for you to notice becasue your case already looks like fire! :D

Make sure to post worklogs for the other ones :) You should take out an ad in the back of a hot rod magazine :cool:

Back