Project: Reclaimed

I've been wanting to build a wood case for like 20 years and finally had the time to build one. Almost everything from this project is reclaimed except for the allen head screws, the harddrive bay, and the video card. It's not perfect, but it's my first time building something like this from scratch.

Specs:
Dell C6100 server node
2x Xeon x5560 CPUs
48gb RAM (12x 4gb DIMMs)
MSI AMD RX550 video card
256gb Samsung 850 evo
Hitachi 3TB harddrive
two Dell desktop 300w PSUs

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image1-2.jpeg

Last edited:
The bottom is just the server node with some felt feet. I left the back open because I have a 140mm intake fan in the front and need as much airflow as possible across the CPU heatsinks and PSUs. The system draws air from the front bottom, but I should probably include some openings in the front to improve airflow.

I see. What are you using it for? Looks like it'd be a good HTPC or something.

Also, where is the power button?

Once I get it a little quieter, it will be an HTPC. It fits well in my entertainment center. The node has a power button on the back right next to the VGA port.

As thick as those sides are, you ought to countersink the allen head screws. It would give a much more polished look, and you don't need anything fancy to pull it off, just a drill and the proper size drill bit. A bottom and a little facing on the front edge, to hide the end-grain, and you have yourself a great little custom case.

I love it. I've always wanted to build a case out of wood, and reclaimed wood and parts is excellent way to approach it. Cheers!

Back