Project: PrometheusCu

@modsquad - Thanks mate, and Goodluck with your own pc-a60c - Not that you'll need any luck... boy, you got game! (Try not to put me to shame too bad).

A small text update:
I've ordered a number of small aesthetic copper bits off eBay - everything from copper ribbon wire to fishing rod parts. I may have gotten a bit carried away because I've started bidding on a 1987 Buick Grand National, we'll see if I win tomorrow afternoon.

I've also ordered 100x5000mcd White LEDs and 100xLED chrome holders/mounts.
With those comes the need to convert the chrome mounts to copper, so I got my hands on a case of 6x8oz cans of Krylon Premium Metallic Copper Brilliance spray paint - it too has yet to arrive but I've read that it looks just like copper plating.

This weekend I also spent a few hours in Rhino, modifying my CAD drawings to incorporate some of the revisions suggested to me by the machinist. Hopefully I'll have some precision aluminum prototypes cut this week.

I expect delivery #2 of 4 of my watercooling parts tomorrow, along with the GTX 280ssc cards - upgrade compliments of eVGA.
The AquaComputer components will be sent out to me Monday (hopefully).

I'm in the middle of correspondence with an Indian manufacturer of Copper Braided Sleeving for the tubes and wires. I hope I've finally found a supplier in the form of Sree Lal Guru Industries, despite their reluctance to provide such a small quantity.
If anyone knows of a NorthAmerican source for "Bare Copper Braided Sleeving" willing to sell small quantities, please link me.

The last remaining unordered component will be the MIPs 4 RAM Cooler.

I can see light at the end of the tunnel now.

I'm on the lookout for a several LED controllers that will support 100 LEDs, something that will allow me to create a custom light show in and on Prometheus... if anyone knows of a source for such a product please let me know... it's proving -like so many of the parts for this project- very elusive.

Tune in soon, and Thanks for reading.

I forgot to ask:

Anyone know where I can get my hands on the Lian-Li copper PSU to match this case?
lianli_copper_psu.jpg

Parts update for the masses:
I recieved a package of watercooling supplies today.
First up - a D-Tek Fuzion rev 2 with quad core nozel insert (insert not installed in below images).
prometheus-cpuwaterblock1.jpg

prometheus-cpuwaterblock2.jpg

FeserOne Orange non-conductive coolant, I'd have preferred black but since I'll be using black tubing and no reservoir I don't see the difference... and neither will anyone else, hehehe.
prometheus-coolant1.jpg

prometheus-coolant2.jpg

20x Bitspower Hig Flow 1/2 barbs - dark nickel plated edition.
prometheus-fittings1.jpg

Here you can see the difference between the Bitspower fittings and the stock DangerDen and D-Tek ones.
prometheus-fittings2.jpg

A Black DangerDen Fillport
prometheus-fillpoort.jpg

Last but most certainly not least... 15' of Opaque Black Primochill Primoflex 1/2ID tubing.
prometheus-tubing1.jpg

I was quite surprised by the width of the wall, I guess I don't have to worry about puncture leaks... too much.
prometheus-tubing2.jpg

That's all for now folks, tune in soon!

@jtg1993 - Thanks mate. The Alix board (the one mounted to the motherboard tray) will act as a WiFi terminal, embedded Linux firewall, and a router. The Pico will run the front mounted 7" touch screen; it has windows home server installed on it w/ a custom built front end and GUI - this will allow it to act as both a media jukebox and a means for me to read/write files remotely (basic eg: take notes in class on my eeePC that are written directly to my home PC in real time). Also...e-peen 3rigs in 1 box...c'mon! That's just cool.

I just want to see it in action, are you going to do vids of the build and in action? I just wished I had the intuitiveness(hope that is a word and not Bushtalk) to create like that, awesome dude, thanks for sharing.

@Ozarkboy - I diddn't plan on any videos no. But if I remember and I have the time I'll try to take some videos of the CNC router cutting some of the plate parts for me. Thanks!

@SDMorris - Haha, thanks a lot man.

Another Small Update:
I was browsing performance PC's earlier and found this a very small 2x40mm radiator.

I'm now thinking about watercooling the Pico-ITX also, not for any real performance boost...I just think it'd be cool.

The plan is to get my hands on a Cooler Master Aquagate Viva and take it apart, then use it's pump/waterblock afixed to a piece of copper plate to cool the CPU/chipset. From there the plan is to connect the hoses up to the mini 2x40mm radiator. I'd like to make use of a couple of the 40mm fans I have mounted in the drive bay to create a very small watercooling system enclosed inside the 5.25" bay area.

Opinions/suggestions are welcome and encouraged - but note that I'd like to keep the cost of watercooling the $200 motherboard, that doesn't any need cooling at all, under $100. hahaha.

Picture of the PicoITX board layout can be found here.

You should really call up Lian Li about the PSU. If their marketing department isn't totally clueless, they should be interested in helping you with your project. Great work so far, loving the color scheme.

@SDMorris - If by "processor" you mean Pico-ITX board, then yes it will. The main loop will include the GFX, RAM, and CPU. The secondary tiny loop will cool the entire Pico-ITX board.

@timme - I've contacted them via their contact form on the Lian-Li site. I've yet to hear a response, mind you that was only a day or two ago. I seem to recall a significant response lag when I asked them how many of the Anniversary cases were made... for now I'll just be patient. If by weeks end they still haven't responded I'll just start flooding their inbox with questions over the weekend, haha. Thanks!

Yet another update for you all, I got a package in the mail form eVGA today. My -free- upgrade from the 9800GTXssc cards.
prometheus-gfx1.jpg

prometheus-gfx2.jpg

prometheus-gfx3.jpg

To go with this will be two of these:
23458_3.jpg

Only they wont be shipping for another 10-days.

Clearly nothing is sacred:

Naked GTX280's, and I must say that I have a new appreciation for nVidia engineering... the heatsink on these babies was nothing short of a work of art - engineering at it's best.
prometheus-gfx6.jpg

prometheus-gfx7.jpg

prometheus-gfx8.jpg

They are considerably lighter now only about 245grams
prometheus-gfx9.jpg

A small teaser for you all. I took delivery of my secret weapon today:
carbon.jpg

Don't bother asking where, some of, this will be used... that's a surprise.

A small, bummer, update:
UPS just delivered my Acrylic Copper Colour 2-way Mirror... but I'm totally pissed! The colour is all wrong. It's more of a 'burnt copper' instead of the 'red copper' colour I'm using. I may still find a use for it, but it's 'mystery purpose' will likely be replaced with carbon fiber pieces. (You can't see though the acrylic here because I've not yet removed it's protective backing).
prometheus-acrylicmirror1.jpg

prometheus-acrylicmirror2.jpg

Personally, I think that the acrylic you have is perfect. Since it is slight off a shade it helps keep the theme without drowning the inside of your case in the same color. It's like using a different shade of paint for window and door trim vs paint on the wall to help break up some of the space and create something that draws the eye's attention more easily. That and you don't see too many copper colored acrylics used in case mods.

@KrylonArt - I still plan on attempting my initial plans with this (because I have 4x 12"x48" pieces... and they were awful pricey because it was a custom order) but I'm not sure if I will like the effect. I'm just going to be sure to fabricate the carbon pieces at the same time to ensure that I have spares. It may work... won't know until I cut it out and give it a try. I do know for a fact the one of the uses was going to be a "windowed" section above the PSU on the outside of the case, to allow for better reception for the WiFi antennas that are going to be mounted there - since the "window" will be right next to my top fan grill I know for a fact that idea will need retooling. I have found another source for a similar, (only 1/8" thick, not a 2-way mirror, and no pics of the actual colour), product on eBay, at a much better price. I've ordered a single sheet, I hope it matches better.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some great news.

A User by the name of xtreme0915 over at the nVidia SLi-Zone forums has volunteered to donate his old Aquagate Viva Duo Watercooling kit for the benefit or Prometheus. With this comes a cemented decision to watercool the Pico-ITX unit in addition to the main system. I'll be purchasing a 40.2 radiator, and using the Aquagate's waterblock/pump to cool the Pico board.

Another big thanks shout-out goes out to xtreme0915!

In anticipation of this new generous, unprovoked, donation. I've started making the necessary modifications to the Pico-ITX heatsink.
Modifications that will allow me to mount the waterblock/pump from the Aquagave Viva unit to the Pico-ITX board.

This is Part-1 and it is still unacceptably rough. when its finished the edges will be square and it'll sport a mirror shine.

Here is what I started with:
stockvia.jpg

Then after a couple hours of Dremel grinding followed by hand filing I came up with this:
prometheus-picowc1.jpg

Bottom:
prometheus-picowc3.jpg

Here you can see the amount of material that needed to be removed, because Via had a recessed spot in the middle of the three screw holes where the fan sat. So I had to bring down the whole surface to be flush.
prometheus-picowc2.jpg

Another small update for you all.

I just picked up a dozen BlinkM I2C contolled RGB LEDs - "BlinkM uses a high quality, high power RGB LED and a small AVR microcontroller to allow a user to digitally control an RGB LED over a simple I2C interface"
tm_blinkm_closeup_obliq_sma.jpg

100 white 3mm LEDs, 100 resistors and 100 Chrome Holders to be copper plated.
LED_5mm_Mount_Holder_001.jpg

and with these comes a USB Arduino Control Board that will allow me to write a control program for the lighting inside the case. I'll have the RGB LEDs change from blue to red depending on the water temperature. The other 100 white LEDs will slowly/randomly fade in and out (Mac style) when they are on.
ArduinoUSBBoard-01-L.jpg

Also a dozen fiendishly overpriced Countersink Allen Screws made of copper:
A612PC0_49638.gif

More coming soon - Thanks for reading.

Arduino in a case mod?! sweet

looking forward to see how this turns out

This has to be one of the more intense mods iv seen on these forums.....ill be watching for updates

@stupoop - Thanks man. Arduino looks to be very promising, although I only have a small amount of 'hobby' experience with the language it shouldn't be too tough to get it going.

@Krilikz - Thanks for that, stay tuned!

christ , this is phenomenal, i have sincerely enjoyed following and reading this amazing project man. GOD i cant wait to see this thing fired up:D

@neoice - Thanks a lot man, I appreciate that. I can't wait to fire it up.

@xCrazySnowmanx - Thanks mate. Once it's done I'm sure you'll think otherwise - the final aesthetic won't at all be 'steampunk'.

Good LORD Langer...seriously one of the most promising and best planned mods I've seen in a long time...if not ever. The case mods alone would be sweet, but the additions of the firewall and 7" LCD system is just nuts...I really really look forward to seeing this progress.

Even though our systems have nothing in common, I thank you for giving me more inspiration to do a more professional job with my Shuttle mods I've got planned.

Hey Langer, you slipped off the first page. Any updates? This is shaping up to be an awesome project.

Sorry for the lack of updates folks. I had to leave town unexpectedly for about 10-days.

I'm back now and progress has been made with my CNC parts regardless of my absence.

Tune in soon for it'll be a busy week.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind responses and concerns.

Despite my hopes of coming back to a mailbox full of goodies, the only items that have arrived in my absence are the WiFi antennas, the 100x 3mm LEDs and the 100x LED mounts. I'll post some images of these later tonight.

Still en-route are:
30x 1"diameter x 3/4"tall copper rings.
Female serial plug
12xBlinkM RGB LEDs
Arduino Control Board
12x8oz cans of Krylon Premium Metallics Copper Brilliance Spray Paint
CoolerMaster Aquagate (for the PICO unit)
2.40mm Radiator
Copper Hex Screws
1250ft of custom designed and manufactured 18AWG ribbon wire
Mips RAM-Freezer 4 memory water block.

Yet to be shipped AquaCopmuter products:
aquaero 4.00 USB Fan-Controller
multiswitch USB 1.41
aquastream XT Temperatursensor 70 cm
Rotary elbow adapter G1/4
2x aquagraFX for GTX 280 (G200) G1/4
Durchflusssensor (FlowSensor) G1/4

I haven't yet had a chance to meet up with my machinist to see how the precision cut aluminum prototypes are coming. I've not yet even begun to manufacture anything in copper plate... this will be the last step. I want to make everything from aluminum first to ensure that all the fits are perfect; however my machinist has informed me that he has cut out several aluminum parts and that they are looking good.

Due to the hectic schedules of myself, my machinist, and my financial adviser (who wants me dead, I'm sure) coupled with MASSIVE shipping delays; I'm back to sitting around waiting for stuff to arrive.

Until I get my prototype aluminum pieces I cant start the lighting or wiring because I wont know the exact placing.

havent read such a awesome worklog in a LONG time, I hope to see thing finished soon!! looking SUPER DUPER awesome!!!!

@shadowlord - Thanks man, you and me both... I'm slowly developing a deep hatred for the postal system.

@chronic9 - Thanks man, I appreciate that. If everything goes according to plan it'll be mostly finished in the next couple weeks.

@formula409 - Thanks!

A small overdue update for you all.

Unfortunately my hands are still very much tied, due to many delays (mostly shipping), so progress has been minimal.

I have complete a number of little things this week however:
1- I have completed the lighting design.
2- I've modified and uploaded my verison of pfSense to my Alix board, so it's working nicely now.
3- I think I've completed my arduino lighting software, but I haven't yet got my arduino controller delivered so I don't know if it works as planned just yet.
4- I began designing my front end software that will control my watercooling and run on the from 7" touch screen.
5- I've also ordered a new keyboard, I love my apple slim keyboard but I was unable to find black key replacements for it so I've ordered the bluetooth version.
It looks to me that the new macbooks and the slim bluetooth keyboard use the same keys at least I hope so because new replacement keys were about $2.50 a piece, so I ordered a complete set of black keys for the keyboard. I'll then make new copper housing for it to replace the stock apple aluminum. In theory this should make for a very sexy black/copper keyboard.
prometheus-keylayout01.jpg

prometheus-keylayout02.jpg

Some of the items that have arrived in the mail since my last posting:
Some of my lighting accessories:
prometheus-lighting01.jpg

The 3mm LED housings that I will paint to look Copper Plated:
prometheus-lighting02.jpg

White 3mm LEDs:
prometheus-lighting03.jpg

Resistors that will let me run the LEDs from a 12volt source:
prometheus-lighting04.jpg

And an assembly overview of what the LED holders look like:
prometheus-lighting05.jpg

I also got my Laptop WIFI antennas, I will be using 2x antennas for each of the antenna outputs on the WiFi card.
prometheus-antenna.jpg

Lastly, my 40.2mm radiator has arrived, so once the aquagate gets here I'll be able to assemble my Pico-ITX watercooling system.
This thing is so bloody tiny, sorry for the bad picture, but keep in mind it's only 40mm wide... too cool.
prometheus-40mmradiator.jpg

I used the mill and a frighteningly precarious claming technique to mill down the Pico's heat sink further
prometheus-picowc3-1.jpg

prometheus-picowc2-1.jpg

I decided to take some pics of my workshop, it's very dirty and the equipment is tired, but it all does the job well enough:
prometheus-lathe01.jpg

dropsaw
prometheus-dropsaw.jpg

lathe
prometheus-lathe02.jpg

mill... strongarm style
prometheus-mill01.jpg

enerpac press, and sandblaster
prometheus-sandblaster.jpg

surface grinder
prometheus-surfacegrinder.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the drillpress, but I assume you all know what those look like.

Here's the golden tool - 2.5axis router table
prometheus-router02.jpg

prometheus-router01.jpg

I decided to make an homage to Canadian modding out of some spare carbon panel I had laying around.
prometheus-leaf.jpg

If the stars are aligned and my supplies arrive this week, expect HUGE progress over the next little while.

Thanks for reading, and tune in soon.

Wow at one point in time I wanted to attempt a mod this detailed and intense but I do not have the knowledge time or patience with something this involving. Good luck! I'll keep my eye on this for sure

Back