Project: MURD3R

SKiZZ

Gawd
Thanks for checking out this build.

I will be using the following new components for the system:

PHASE I

* Lian Li PC-A05NB
* Corsair HX750W
* EVGA Classified X58 3X SLI Limited Edition (759)
* Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
* Corsair Dominator GT 6GB DDR3 GT15000
* ATI Radeon 4890
* Intel SSD X25-M 80GB (2) RAID 0
* LG BD-R WH08LS20K

PHASE II

The watercooling components are as follows:

* Corsair H50
* More Coming Soon!

TEASER!!

4186275644_d1a25d7a43_b.jpg

Last edited:
post a pic bro, forum roooooools for worklog threads on first post, but awesome eq. for the build.

5D Mark II and 24-70L and 580EXII flash :)

I do some wedding photography on the side.

THats a great motherboard there dude, gotto love it.

Love the quality the camera produces btw.

Okay, The good news Lian Li, Power Supply and h50 all came in. The bad news, the 740HX is a hair too long. I could get it to work if I could find a smaller 90 degree power plug and use some longer screws and posts to secure the power supply in. I'll be swapping the 750hx in my server for the 620HX in there now. Atleast its the matching red color.

Okay, The good news Lian Li, Power Supply and h50 all came in. The bad news, the 740HX is a hair too long. I could get it to work if I could find a smaller 90 degree power plug and use some longer screws and posts to secure the power supply in. I'll be swapping the 750hx in my server for the 620HX in there now. Atleast its the matching red color.

What do you mean by too long?

Is it because the Psu is big or is because the cables comes out too far? I have the asus p6t deluxe v2. I really hope it fits when mine comes in.. =/

what should you do is mod the psu area to allow the psu to sit vertically up, this would allow a larger psu to fit in the case... just an idea though :D

hmm... if you did that, wouldn't the power cord have to plug into the side of the case? I mean, it can't come out the bottom, and the top and front aren't against the walls of the case.

EDIT: I see what you mean by vertical - my bad. Still somewhat impractical from a cooling standpoint, though, as you'd have to relocate that exhaust fan.

what should you do is mod the psu area to allow the psu to sit vertically up, this would allow a larger psu to fit in the case... just an idea though :D

I like how you think ;)

Åndhrimnir;1035079510 said:
hmm... if you did that, wouldn't the power cord have to plug into the side of the case? I mean, it can't come out the bottom, and the top and front aren't against the walls of the case.

EDIT: I see what you mean by vertical - my bad. Still somewhat impractical from a cooling standpoint, though, as you'd have to relocate that exhaust fan.

The A05 has a cable to relocate the plug to the rear anyways so point is mute IMO.

*Small Update*

The Blu-Ray burner came in tonight. I got it in now. I'll get some new pics up. Everything is up an running great for now. The wires are messy as hell. I'll hopefully be slow tomorrow so I can do some ordering of modding supplies. Some murdermod wire loom is in order and lots of other stuff.

Anyone know where to get 3" SATA cables?

Newegg has some. Just type in 3'' sata in the search and they are there. No black ones from the looks of the first page but should not be a problem if you are sleeving otherwise I dont know.

Merry Christmas and keep us updated!

Newegg has some. Just type in 3'' sata in the search and they are there. No black ones from the looks of the first page but should not be a problem if you are sleeving otherwise I dont know.

Merry Christmas and keep us updated!

Thanks for the help, but that was 3.2 foot.

I may end up making a custom length with newends and see how that works. But satacable.com has a 4" and that might work.

Got a Logitech G9x for $64.99 at best buy today. Not system related but my other G9 was wearing out.

I'll get some more pics up when I get back from visiting my rents in PA.

Hopefully you had a good trip.

As always I have to nag for updates when possible. :cool:

SKiZZ, c'mon man! Your hardware is drool-worthy, but without pics or updates I'm left waiting.

Picsplz?

Unfortunately my progress has slowed but it is a working computer, albiet a sea of black spaghetti. I had over over $500 in modding supplies ready to pull the trigger but unfortunately some things come up and hopefully I'll be able to resume buying supplies here shortly.

I have fitment issues with the H50 and the large north bridge cooler of the X58 Classified. I can get H50 installed, but not turned the way I need it to close the side of the case as you'll see in the pictures:

4276382123_d10befd791_b.jpg

4276385207_3b88c9db7b_b.jpg

As you can see this is very tight even when it does fit. The PC-A05N definately has some design challenges because of its size.

As far as watercooling goes I may have to scrap the H50 early in this design and go with my final plans of putting a Koolance in the top of the A05N.

I can also temporarily get the top of the A05N cut for the Koolance and mount the H50 in one of the 120MM slots and put another 120MM in the empty one for more cooling and place a red MNPTech Skull radiator grill over it for the time being.

Does anyone know the dimension of the Koolance to see if this even fits on the A05N?

I am also looking for a waterjet cutter who could do the cut for me? Who is an HardOCP approved vendor?

Hope this satisfies some or your geekdom for a while.

I'll leave you with a wide open shot :eek:

4277138158_76d9619d1c_b.jpg

I am also looking for a waterjet cutter who could do the cut for me? Who is an HardOCP approved vendor?

Found a local waterjet cutter and he said those cuts would fall under the $75 minimum fee. Waiting to hear back what the next steps are.

Ordered this this weekend as well as some odds and ends. Not sure I'll even use it especially if I get the Koolance, but it's cool none the less.

4283187605_c56d4fa799_o.jpg

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338221

I did the above case mod with the G50B case, which is very close to the same as the A05N. I was able to use a Koolance Radiator kit with 25mm fans and I think it would fit. The only issue I can see is that the Radiator may be very close to your motherboard. According to this diagram you will need 31mm from the top of your case to the top edge of your motherboard.

Or you could go with an exos, and wouldn't have to worry about any issues with room inside the case.

Is it possible to rotate the rad of the H50 such that the res portion of it is at the top or bottom instead of the side?

Loving the black and red scheme btw.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338221

I did the above case mod with the G50B case, which is very close to the same as the A05N. I was able to use a Koolance Radiator kit with 25mm fans and I think it would fit. The only issue I can see is that the Radiator may be very close to your motherboard. According to this diagram you will need 31mm from the top of your case to the top edge of your motherboard.

Or you could go with an exos, and wouldn't have to worry about any issues with room inside the case.

I think I should be fine on fitment. I'm debating between that one you linked and the one with the built in resovoir. Thanks for the link, I was looking for that, now to convert that to inches.

Is it possible to rotate the rad of the H50 such that the res portion of it is at the top or bottom instead of the side?

Loving the black and red scheme btw.

That's the issue, it doesn't fit at all, the ends of the radiator are in the way and thanks :)

Problem with the one with the built in res, you need almost 2 inches of clearance from the resevoir.

I'm probably going to have to drop my blu-ray burner down to the second bay anyways even with just the radiator one.

Last edited:
Remove the H50, its no better than a Thermalright TRUE anyways in a well ventilated case. Get a TRUE or new Venoumous X.

Mount the H50 on the front 120? Idk, trying to think outside of the box here. Either that or get the 120 fan mount that goes where the vid card section is and mount it there. I think that would be sweet.

Mount the H50 on the front 120? Idk, trying to think outside of the box here. Either that or get the 120 fan mount that goes where the vid card section is and mount it there. I think that would be sweet.

Not long enough on the front 120. Can't say I like te vid card idea. I'm trying to go for very clean design. I may ditch water cooling all together as I was using the H50 for an inbetween spot. I may go with an ultra 120 black or that new one. and maybe a dual 120mm fans on top.

Byt the time I get all the equipment to water cool well its over $800 and honestly this project has costed way more than I originally planned and really wish I would ranted harder on the wife to go with a 27" iMac and if I would go watercooled the way I want, I could of gotten the iMac and the addtional monitor or the 21" Cintiq.

That's a bummer that it's not long enough for the front 120. I thought the tubes were almost 11 inches long? Maybe you could do something like: | 38mm fan || shroud || H50 |
That should buy you at least a couple inches...?

*Small Update*

The Blu-Ray burner came in tonight. I got it in now. I'll get some new pics up. Everything is up an running great for now. The wires are messy as hell. I'll hopefully be slow tomorrow so I can do some ordering of modding supplies. Some murdermod wire loom is in order and lots of other stuff.

Anyone know where to get 3" SATA cables?

Not sure if you ever found your cables, but here is a 4" latching sata cable with a 90 degree on one end. Also available in 8", 20", 30" and 40". Can also try these guys, they have 4" and 5" cables available as well.

That's a bummer that it's not long enough for the front 120. I thought the tubes were almost 11 inches long? Maybe you could do something like: | 38mm fan || shroud || H50 |
That should buy you at least a couple inches...?

It wouldn't fit that way either. I'd have to double check though. But the power supply and drive cage would get tin the way unless I remade the upper drive cage.

Not sure if you ever found your cables, but here is a 4" latching sata cable with a 90 degree on one end. Also available in 8", 20", 30" and 40". Can also try these guys, they have 4" and 5" cables available as well.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, I haven't had updates, I'm not sure of the next direction as I am finishing up my norco 4020 build and that took away some time and money unfortunately. I'll be ordering some of the molex tools this weekend and waiting to hear back on a friends decision to breakup his Koolance case since he has a buyer for the inside parts.

Back