Project: Little Rascal - Mini-ITX Gaming Rig

Nixeh

n00b
Hey guys i thought id start this Project log rolling seeing as some revived an old project. Instead of carrying on from a project log used for another project which i have put on hold i decided to start this so everyone knows that all that i post in this thread is related to this mod. First off i would like to say that this is my first mod that i will be working on, apart from the odd bit of dremel action on other chassis's

Mod Premise:

A lot of people that start mods have a clear theme that is normally visually represented through the mod, be it from the smallest detail or the case as a whole. My theme however is slightly more different and rest firmly within the Hardware side of things. I want a small custom case that can house a Mini-ITX gaming system. Sadly within the SFF community, which tends to be quite a mod enthusiastic sub culture there are no cases out there that can accomodate what i want, let alone looking the part aswell.

I know i will alienate quite a lot of the Mini-ITX enthusiats out there as with previous mini-itx mods they have been dead small fitting inside Toasters, Windows XP Box or in a case made out of Knex. Whilst all of these mods have inspired me to have a small more compact PC there are just so many limitations that stop a mini-itx gaming system. That said, it doesnt mean it cannot be done, and further more cannot be quiet either.

The Design:

Over the past months this mod has gone through various different design stages, yet they all have one thing in common and that is the perforated front grill which will take up the majority of the front. This will be very much akin to the Lian Li and Apple G5 case style. I have also grown fond of it as it is practical as its stylish if used correctly and also ideal for cooling (especialliy if the whole front of the case is going to be backed by a Dual 120mm Radiator).

teaser1.jpg

teaser2.jpg

comparison.jpg

The case will be using a ATX power supply to accomodate for the power consumption of high end graphics cards, i have been asked if this is a waste of space and the short answer would be no. With the ATX PSU removed i only shorten the height of the case by about 5mm. This is due to the depth of the case being determined by the length of the graphics card and the Radiator and Fans. The Width of the case is determined by the height of the graphics card with a watercooling block attached. The Height of the case is determined primarily by the height of the radiator and also the Slimline slot loading optical drive. So i decided to stick with the ATX PSU as if i go for more powerful upgrades further down the line all i have to do is buy an off the shelf PSU rather then wait around for a SFF PSU to be released that can power the system.

Aswell as this, the case will also accomodate 4 Hard Drives that will be in the PC as i need a lot of storage. these will be interfaced via Sata2 connections. Depending on which board i go for, the board will either have 4 Sata2 & 1 IDE or 6 Sata2. So the board is more than capable of handling this amount of Hard Drives. The hard drives will be housed in a custom made caddy that i have designed that can be removed from the case easily so there is more space for myself to tinker with things further down the line. I have also designed the caddy to make the most of the fresh air that will pumped in by the 120mm Fans that sit right next to it (as you can see in the picture below)

caddy1.jpg

With this i didnt want to use the normal HDD caddy which you see in your average case which restricts airflow quite considerably. With my design i wanted it to be very minimalistic yet not so much so that it was unstable. The aluminium is used only where needed and this means that i can have large open gaps in between the hard drives which allows plenty of fresh cool air to flow over every hard drive.

caddy2.jpg

As you can see from the pictures on this post, the majority of the design has been planned for, though there are still things that i am unsure about. For example im not sure which way to put the radiator, either with the barbs at the bottom where the tubing can conflict with the graphics card, or at the top where it takes space away from where i will be hiding excess cables that i dont use from my S12-600w Seasonic. This also means that i dont know where to put the HDD Caddy, it will be in the same space but could be higher or lower in the case. Luckily enough it doesnt really matter as i dont have to accomodate this too much into my design, all i have to do is make sure that there is space there for me to test which is better.

My other problem i have is the Logo. I have no idea what to have for my logo and where to put it. I dont want it to ruin the minimalistic front, though thats where i would prefer it if it can work. I was toying with the idea of doing something that Bill from MNPCTech had done over at The Mod Nation (cant remember specifically which mod it was) but he created a logo for the case which he used on the front and bent it around the front and it overlapped parts of the sides. When ive thought about the logo ive only really had one idea for the design. What do you think of when you hear the term 'Little Rascal' and i think of a Dennis the Menace type kid that caused mayhem. So i was thinking of incorporating that into the name Little Rascal where the first A would be made up of a silouette of a kid with his arms folded and his legs to make up sides of the A.

That said i am not 100% set on that. If anyone has any ideas for a logo, feel free to post them. If i like the design i will use it and of course you will be credited for the artistic work done on the logo :)

Also if i have enough time and money i will be modding my current Mouse and Keyboard (Logitech G7 and a WolfKing/Wolfclaw Keyboard)to fit in with the theme of the mod, one of which will also accomodate the logo. Im still not sure on the extent of the modifications i will be doing to them, but it will be at the very least a respray so that they fit in with the overall colour scheme of the case, which brings me onto the colour scheme.

Visual Design:

The colour scheme of the mod is still slightly up in the air. I have a pretty firm idea of how it will be styled, which will be a mixture of either Black and Aluminium or Gun Metal and Aluminium, with a Black acrylic side panel which will only reveal the insides once the lighting on the inside is turned on. I am still unsure on whether or not to have a Acrylic Metal Mesh side window mod, so that the perforated aluminium which is so prominant on the front is continued along the side and also to the exhaust on the back.

The lights on the inside will be white, though i am not sure of how to go about getting the type of lighting i want without a load of cables running everywhere. Which is why ive been looking at EL Wire/Strips for quite some time. The reasoning here is that theyre not too bright that it makes your case appear like the holy spirit is in your case, yet not too dark that it doesnt illuminate the case enough that we can see through the window. Whatever i decide to use, the lights will be rigged to a button that will turn them on and off when i want them, and it will be next to the Power and Reset buttons which will be located on one of the side panels.

Case feet is something else im still undecided on. With the original Little Rascal mod on the v300 i was going to completely remake the feet so that it accomodated both the aluminium and the acrylic, whilst having a white LED in all the feet to illuminate them. Though im not sure if i should go with one huge footthat would go around the bottom of the case. Though i think this could be overpowering. Whatever i do i still want feet, as i can design them so that they dampen the vibrations of the case even more, let alone the HDDs and the PSU will have vibrational dampners built into their housing.

The Tools:

Since christmas has just past, i had my mum badgering me about what i wanted for christmas. There wasnt anything i really wanted so decided to get some tools that would help me along the way in creating the mod. Sadly ive just taken some photos to show you what i have, but realised that my cameras data cable is back home in Portsmouth, so i will have to upload them on Sunday.

The tools and other equipment I currently have are:

• Protective Eyewear
    60mm Swivel Table Vice with Anvil
    4x 3.5" Spring Clamps
    3pc Steel File Set
    12" Heavy Duty Combination Square
    Hand Rivet Gun w/75 Rivets
    Dremel (though need to cutting discs) :dremel:
    Foldable Workbench with another Vice
    Metal Bending Brake

I will also probably get a 300w single speed Jigsaw, for cutting the aluminium, and also a electric mouse sander to make sanding that little bit easier

The Components:

Motherboard

Ive had this mod idea in my mind for quite some time, and since then some better hardware has come out since then, though the most important bit of hardware will be obviously the motherboard.

The 2 Motherboards that i am going to decide between are:

Portwells Wade 8656 LGA 775 PCI-E 16X Mini-Itx Motherboard
http://www.portwell.com.tw/images/p_img/ec/WADE-8656-s.jpg

Or

iBases MI900 LGA775 PCI-E 16x Mini-ITX Motherboard
http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/MI900_600.jpg

People will notice some problems with these boards, such as they only support upto 1066Mhz FSB and 800Mhz Memory. That doesnt bother me too much, what i would of liked extra of would be memory slots, but then ive got to remember its a Mini-ITX board so there it will be cutting corners somewhere. Though my main gripe is emulated 5.1-7.1 over 3 audio jacks, which puts my 5.1 headset out of the window unless i lose one of the channels or the mic.

One of the things with this build is that i wont be buying these components until the case is near enough completed, which i plan to be in April so i can showcase it at my clans small 24 person LAN. I am hoping with any luck that there might be a updated board, which will incorporate those changes i would like, but if not ill be happy anyway :)

Hard Drives

Im still somewhat undecided on which Hard Drives to go for. I am for the most part a capacity whore, so i doubt i will be having anything like Raptor drives in my system, though that might change over time.

I am looking at kitting out the 4 HDD spaces with either 750GB or 1Tb Drives. Yup you heard my correctly, that would mean i would have anywhere upto 4TB of storage in a gaming PC which is usually unheard of, let alone in a case thats roughly the size of one of my shoe boxes (size 13 feet so its big where shoeboxes are concerned). Im not sure which drives to go for, as im still having a look at reviews for a balance between overall speed and the ssssh factor that im looking for. All that i now for certain is, that these drives will not be horrible load break all the time Maxtors.

Power Supply

As the plan stands i will be using my lovely Seasonic s12-600w PSU. I love this thing, its more than powerful enough and its whisper quiet, whilst having strong rails. Though the one thing that i hate about it is the fact its got ridiculously long cables, cables that i will not use and will take up much valued space. So i might land up going for a Modular later on down the line and move this into a Media PC.

Graphics Card

I will admit it, i am a ATI fan boy. Love the cards and stand by them. Sadly at this current moment in time, they are not the top dog of the graphics world. Sadly Nvidia are, but with a nice card. I wont be going for a 8800Ultra as i have more sense than money, so im currently looking at the 8800GTX. That said the rumour mill has started churning and supposedly there will be a new set of graphics cards that will be released quite soon that will fit in with my completion date. that said if it reaches April and the new cards are only a week or 2 away, then i will wait for them and carry on using my trusty ATI x1900XTX.

It being a small machine i want the most powerful card within reason, as there is never a hope for SLI in this case, let alone i dont think i would ever use SLI.

Optical Drive

One thing i hate about big PC's are the horrible chunky oversized Optical drives, which tend to be quite loud whilst watching DVDs on. To conserve the space of the case i have opted for a Slimline Slot Loading optical drive which will interface with the motherboard via SATA2. Sadly i cant find any links for them as of yet, but i know where i used to work we were able to get them. It will be a DVD writer, though if i can find a HDDVD slimline player (not writer) and if its at a reasonable price i might be tempted to get it.

Cooling

The most important set of components in this PC besides the Motherboard. For any watercooling experts out there, once youve seen the size of this case and what i need it to do, there is only 1 choice as far as the Radiator is concerned, and that would be the Black Ice Stealth GT II. Its not overly bloated where dimensions are concerned, and thickness width and length are all at the very minimum they can be. this is a no BS radiator that isnt bigger then it has to be, which makes it 100% ideal for this project. Plus it also offers upto something like 20% better cooling then other radiators on the market.

For pump i am looking for a CPU Block & Pump combo to save on the space within the case. I am still having a gander around the net to see which would be the best for waterflow and for cooling.

With this project, i want it to be dead quiet, even when it is at full load. This means i need fans that have a very low dbA and push a lot of Air (CFM). Originally i was going to only have the 2 120mm fans on the front, but in the past few days i have decided to go for a Push Pull configuration comprising of 2x 120mm Fans on the front as intake, and a single 92mm on the rear of the case as an outtake. Ive browsed the net for quite some time and there only seems to be one type of fan for this job (though im willing to be corrected on this if there are better fans), and the fans would be SilenX's iXtrema Pros. these fans are beasts for their audible level. Their specs are as follows:

120mm Model:
-72 CFM
-14 dBA

92mm Model:
-42 CFM
-14 dBA

At full load these fans are more then adequate to cool my case, whilst reminaing whisper quiet.

Other Components

The other components arent really set in stone yet, as they dont need to be. Though for anyone that wants to know, i will be going for the fastest 4gb ram that this motherboard can accomodate for.

Anyway i shall wrap this introduction up now as ive been typing this up for quite some time now and im getting hungry.

Hope you all love the idea for the mod and are keen in keeping up with its process.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, or if you would like any more renders.

If you like to contact me personally regarding sponsorship or just anything related to this mod feel free to PM me on here or send me an email to:
[email protected]

Hope to hear back from you soon, and hope all of you had a good New Year

** Update **

Small update for everyone.

Just messing around in sketchup on design possiblities for the side panel. My side panel will have 3 switches mounted on it.

- Power
- Reset
- Light Power

Im not sure whether or not to go for a more minimalistic side panel or to expand more on the project name on the side. Anyway here are the few designs ive mocked up just to get some ideas.

panels.jpg

any feedback would be appreciatted :)

Note from FLECOM: Do not hotlink images, host them yourself

Looks really awesome... I'd consider buying one...

Could put some ports on the bottom, USB/Audio/Firewire if you need them :)

Power + Reset buttons and LEDs...

For the side panel, i think the Bottom Middle would look sweet... like a brass knuckle.

this project looks sweet!

however, id say hell with the silenx. the specs listed are misleading, as 14db is at the lowest speed, and 72cfm is at the highest speed with a lot more noise

go for some nexus fans (or yate-loons, which are rebranded) as they are truly quiet, and definetely cheaper

I don't know why you would want or need all that HD space but thats your thing so have at it.

Bottom right most side panel.

Did you use Inventor to do those design sketches?

I have been wanting to do a carputer for a while but I could never find an ITX MB that I liked...

I want an ITX MB with no native graphics, no legacy devices, no extra anything just the bare min.

LGA775 socket
2xDDR2 socket
4xUSB2.0
1xPCI-e
1 sound, 1 mic
1 gigabit lan
4xSATA2
I want a board designed to be as small as can be not a scaled down bigger board.

Sad thing with Mini-ITX boards is that yiou have to make some compromises somewhere along the line in what it does or doesnt have.

I used Google Sketchup to do all the designs. Lovely little program.

Will be back around later with another small update :)

This looks great, love the design especially the front mesh - i was planning something similar but it wouldn't look that good and definately won't be as well planned out :p

one thing to keep in mind about alot of these itx boards is that there are front panel hookups. you might be able to tap it for your mic input. but I havent played with mine for that reason or mode to see if it will actually work. just never know

Randolf i was thinking about that. If i can get center sub and rear on the rear output and mic over a seperate board dongle then id be happy. Though im going to have to get in contact with Portwell to find out for sure. Let me know if you get any more info on this.

Well guys you know what time it is... yup its update time :)

Sadly this update has been a bit longer in the making, down to me being a bit busy and a bit lazy.

Thanks very much so far for all the comments everyone has left this project on the 9 forums that it is posted on. All the comments have been very favourable and a lot of people have said they will be keeping their eye on it :) That said, a few people have brought a few design ideas and a few faults to my design that i had either overlooked or just didnt notice.

Also with this update you will notice some more work on the theme and some additional ideas i have used. So without further ado, here are the pictures:
case1.jpg

Not much has changed, though i am leaning towards the panel design that is on the side on this picture. Some of you will noticed something in the top left of the panel. I have decided to add a VFD/LCD display. I still might mount it top right though to hide away some of the cabling, but still have to do the mock up of it first.
case2.jpg

On the back ive designed to allow for a 92mm Fan. I was going to scrap this but decided to add it back in to allow for increased airflow going through the case.

There was a worry about negative pressure due to the flow restriction caused by the GTS 240. Thankfully one of my friends has 2 240 radiators laying about, though not the same model but we strapped them together to take in account the flow restriction and placed a 92mm on the back, and it ran fine. No problems what so ever, so i am quite confident about this now. Though if i land up being wrong ill modify the side panel to allow some ventilation holes (which of course) will match the front to increase air intake into the case.

The PSU will have to be inserted into the case from the rear, where there will be a square cut hole which will allow for this. To fix the PSU to the case there will be a cut sheet of aluminium which will border the psu and will have screws going into the PSU and then into the case. This has been done before with a few mods, especially where the PSU sticks out a fair distance from the rear, and it looks and works fantastically. (Look at Project NLM by JegerJon to get some idea (fantastic mod))
case3.jpg

Here is what the bare chassis will look like.
case4.jpg

As you can see there will be a shroud that will fix the Radiator in place. This will be removable just as the HDD caddy will be. The Radiator shroud fixes to the right and bottom panels. This will also help brace the chassis to make it stronger.

You can see there are some modifications to the HDD Caddy. It has been made longer so that the case can be fixed to the right panel 2-4 times on each side. There are also struts that fix onto the PSU Caddy and the Radiator Shroud. This was to address a problem someone pointed out, that i overlooked. Originally the case was not going to be a tower, but a desktop, and the caddy was designed for that. Using it as a tower would change the change the positioning of the centre of gravity and could cause the right panel to bend/buckle. The struts were added in to help the load bearing of the Caddy so it could be distributed better over the entire case, whilst still being a removable caddy.

case1.jpg

The PSU housing will be rivetted to the case as i will not need to remove this from the chassis. as mentioned with the Radiator Shroud and HDD Caddy, it will help brace the chassis to make it a stronger structure. There is a gap above the PSU. Im planning to put some ventilation holes up there as i dont want pockets of hot unventilated air within the case. Also it gives me the option later on to add a card readers or USB hub or anything quite thin in there. As i probably wont have the money to get a modular PSU straight away it will probably be used to put some of the cables i will not be using.

Regarding the overall theme im going to be having the internal metal components, so everything seen in the bare chassis pictures to be painted either Black or Silver. Im leaning towards black more as it will look better. Also from the front i dont want the v300b effect. With the v300b you have black case but silver internals which were visibile through the perforated grill (like i have at the front) I obviously dont want this to be the case in my case.... pun not intended :)

Anyway guys i hope you all like the pictures. Feel free to leave any comments or questions, as you all help me pickup on things i might of not noticed. Its always nice to have a 3rd opinion :)

Also some extra good news, ive just ordered my electric sander and jigsaw which cost me £13 for both brand new. Bargin if you ask me. I shall get a picture up of the tools when they and the bending brake arrive.

Until next time. :)

as a suggestion i would say, is that you might want to incorprate something to hold the weight of the videocard that you plan on useing as it is a lot longer then the motherboard its self.

Where you putting the Pump? I think right on top of the video-card wouldn't be a bad idea if pumps don't get too hot (I don't think they do?)

If you ever consider making a 2nd of these or sell the original, please PM me... I love the concept, if it comes out right It'd be the perfect gaming case imo... small, water-cooled, I'd probably only put 2 36.7 raptors in it just for a fast RAID-0 setup, I have a server w/ big HDD's for files...

Anyways, I'm excited to see how this turns out. Keep it up

Blaze:

Ive been thinking for a while now that if the case gets enough praise and people like it so much, then i will make replicas and sell them on. Maybe with different themes and stuff, but id obviously have to look in the cost of it, be it money and or time. But yes ive definitely thought about it.

As im a Storage whore i hate the idea of raptors, but did consider the best one with the window for the top hdd so it made the view better. As my mod focuses a lot around the pc being quiet, ive been warned against using raptors by a couple of my close mates who say they are loud as hell. That combined with the samsung 1tb f1 drives which are supposedly dead quiet, have oodles of storage and outperform the raptors, it makes it more of a silly choice to go with any raptors.

Concerning the pump, im looking at between the PSU and rear fan if theres enough room or between the DVD drive and the HDD's. I dont think there will be enough room next to the GFX, but will look into it.

Lord_Tris:

This is another interesting point and glad you bought this to my attention. I will contact portwell to find out if theyve tested this and see if the board is ok. The main weight of the graphics card though is the heatsink, seeing as im removing mine it should reduce the weight considerably. Even if not i think its going to be very hard to plan something at this stage for that problem and will most likely have to be done there and then. The only way i can see being able to plan for it now is if i create an extension plate for the motherboard which will sit under the board and be fixed by the motherboard screws and extend out under the HDD caddy onto the back panel, giving the case a larger footprint tospread the weight over.

Though i will have a long think about it and see if there is something i can come up with.
If you or anyone else has an idea on how i can help ease this problem, i would be very greatful.

Cheers again for the feedback, it is always welcome.

I love the whole design of the case!
I think you might want to add another 120mm fan on the back though:
case2.jpg

I would be really interested in buying one of these myself, if you decide to market them. :D

Keep up the good work!

Also, how do you order from the Portwell company? I'm interested in buying one of there mobo's too.

Well I was Looking through your little thread here and so far it looks like it may become an awesome computer. But I read in it that you didnt like the fact that the mobo you choose only emulated surround sound through three jack. Well I might know of a alternative to the mobo's you have choosen. The down side is that it uses the mobile processors, has two Sata 3Gb/s slots and it maybe a little pricy. On the upside though it has both PCi express 16 and regular PCI and a few other things.

Here is the link to it.

P.S. I was looking at possible doing a similar project a while back ago but seeing how I am in college I do not really have the $$ to do such a project. But good luck man and have fun.

Not to shoot you down or anything but from how I interpreted he isnt to found of emulated surround sound and the one you pointed out does vertual 7.1, and the mobo I suggested should do what he wants to do.:rolleyes:

Also if he wanted to go with a usb sollution for surround I would suggest the Zalman's USB surround sound thing. Link to what i am talking about.:rolleyes:

But ultimately it is up to Nixeh to make the decision on what he want to do, and once again it is a pretty awesome ideal of what he is doing and I cant wait to see the finished project. Also with a detailed log because I might follow in his footsteps with a similar project once I get some cash steadly coming in again. :D:D

For a USB sound solution, if I may make a recommendation, I think you should run it right off of a USB header on the motherboard and somehow work it in to the case so that it looks like your typical secondary audio header.

Hey hey everyone.

Sorry for the delay of the update, i have been distracted by things such as my Team Fortress 2 Map, looking for a job, and also someone introduced me to EVE.

Not much has happened work wise. that said the designs are nearly 100% complete and majority of the stuff that i need to start construction has arrived or is on its way :)

For everyone that cares, the Aluminium has arrived. I found a nice little website that i got all my aluminium for around £60.

rod.jpg

I decided to get a 2cm diameter aluminium rod so that i can use it for the bend at the top of the case. Sadly it only came in a 2m length, most of which i will not be able to use :(

sheet.jpg

The case is going to be created from 2 750mmx750mm Aluminium sheets which can be seen above and below. Just so you get an idea i decided to use my shoes to show the scale... which are size 13UK

sheets.jpg

Im a bit worried about the thickness of the Aluminium sheets. I have planned to use 2mm thick sheets and ive ordered to match, but they just look a bit too thin for the look i was aiming to get. Though i shall slave on and see what it looks like. As it looks right in the model im hoping it will do once its built.

thickness.jpg

Now onto the Tools. I have most of the tools that i require for the build, though i have just ordered some more to make it. I am still waiting on the the needle files, g clamps, rubber mallet (to help with the bending if needed), unibond double sided tape and masking tape and marker to do the marking up.

The bench isnt much but i havent got much room to work in and i needed something that i could stow away when im not using it. Im hoping it should be enough, if not ill have to buy another one :(

toolssofar.jpg

Now onto the modified designs. Ive decided to scrap the knuckle duster designs as it did look a bit over the top and didnt go with the visual clean line look of the overall design. Ive come up with some new designs incorporating the 3 circles for the switch i need.

The left designs are just a window, though the right designs are to incorporate a long vfd if i can find one that will fit. Ive had to mess around with the positioning of the vfd as I was worred (and a few people who commented) on the clearance behind the vfd for the cables.

At the moment i am leaning towards the middle left design as i think the vfd would be more of a gimmick as i wouldnt use it that much. though feel free to let me know what you guys think.

panel2.jpg

As the main construction of my case will be made by folding aluminium to create a more sturdy and stable chassis, i decided to create a mock layout of the design for the complete case over the 2 sheets of aluminium.

Below you can see the unfolded view of the main chassis and below that you can see how all the designs currently are laid out over the 2 750mm sheets.

unfolded.jpg

From the image below you can also see how the PSU Caddy, HDD Caddy and the Radiator shroud will be cut out and how they will be bent/folded into shape.

There will be seams on the Radiator shroud, and small seams on the psu caddy which will either be rivetted and/or filled in using bondo so they look right.

fold.jpg

Ive only set these up today and will most likely change ever so slightly the next time you see them. Im already thinking about adding a 10mm-15mm length along the back, top and bottom of the case that will be folded up to hide the lighting behind and to mount the side panel onto it aswell.

Hope you guys like the update and im hoping to start marking up the aluminium on Monday when the last delivery arrives, which also gives me more time to tweak and double check all the designs and make final decisions before the work starts. Im hoping to start on construction of the case by hopefully Wednesday given that everything goes to plan.

Ive had a conversation with a few guys on [H]OCP about the audio problem that i may face and which 5.1 usb audio card solution i could use which could be mounted within the case and just look like part of the internals. If anyone has got any ideas and suggestions on which ones to look out for and take into consideration i would be thankful.

Another thing im having issues on deciding is Sand/Grit Paper. As i want a very smooth finish, what grit papers should i go from and which grit papers i should finish on. I was looking at 40-80-100-120-140, but im not sure if i will need to go upto 320 grit and space it out a bit further.

Anyway, until next time. Feel free to leave comments as they are glady welcome.

Looking cool so far!

I would go for the top-right sidepanel design. Having the name on the panel would surely be nice to show that you made it yourself, but i think it would spoil the clean look your case has so far.

As for the pump i would go for a Laing, they are quite small and have enough power to drive three times your hosing&radiator. Also you can get them with integrated reservoir so you don´t have to worry where to fit it.

I used one for my rogue, fitted perfectly with room to spare.
http://www.pboral.de/pics/rogue/pmpe.JPG

Small update for you all.

As i was about to head out to go back to Bristol for the weekend a parcel arrived. 4 days earlier then expected i got the last bits of my tools....

toolsarrived.jpg

Also a few people wanted updated overall views of the case.... now with added feet :) So here they are

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

Until next week

Core 2 Quad PCIe16 with 8 inch GeForce 8800GT in a miniITX Case only 5.79"H x 8.26"W x 8.26"D
Mboard iBases Q35 miniITX MI935 http://www.ibasetechnology.net/mi935.html
or Commell Q35 miniITX LV-678 http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-678.HTM
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115034
RAM G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148
GPU Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT GV-NX88T512HPV1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088
HDD Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136012
Optical Panasonic SlimSlot BluRay UJ-225 http://www.slidirect.com/web/do/pub/sku/view?categoryId=43&id=136
Case Hoojum Cubit 3 www.hoojum.com
PS Qform 220W PST-AC12180 http://powerstream.com/ac-12180.htm
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/1472.jpg

Note from FLECOM: Do not hotlink images, host them yourself

Core 2 Quad PCIe16 with 8 inch GeForce 8800GT in a miniITX Case only 5.79"H x 8.26"W x 8.26"D
Mboard iBases Q35 miniITX MI935 http://www.ibasetechnology.net/mi935.html
or Commell Q35 miniITX LV-678 http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-678.HTM
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115034
RAM G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148
GPU Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT GV-NX88T512HPV1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088
HDD Western Digital Raptor 150GB WD1500ADFD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136012
Optical Panasonic SlimSlot BluRay UJ-225 http://www.slidirect.com/web/do/pub/sku/view?categoryId=43&id=136
Case Hoojum Cubit 3 www.hoojum.com
PS Qform 220W PST-AC12180 http://powerstream.com/ac-12180.htm

Is that your machine? Does the powersupply power the quadcore and 8800 under load without issue?

I agree with the others about the text on the top of the side panel. It's not bad, but I think overall, the case would look nicer and more clean without it. It should be pretty sick no matter what though, haha. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Your pump question is easy: look at the Apogee Drive, which mounts a Swiftech MCP-350 directly onto an Apogee baseplate. The pump sits directly atop the processor, and bolts right to the motherboard like a regular heatsink.

I really hope you have a good plan for creating the "grill"/"mesh" holes in your design. If you are going to drill them it will be very exhausting work... not to mention that they will not be spaced right and the angle of the holes could vary if u do it by hand due to the drill slipping slightly.

Also, you could cut off any cables you don't need on your psu and any cables that are too long can be shortened and re-sleeved =)

Otherwise its a great design. I cant wait for more updates =)

No this isnt an illusion, i am back and with a small update, though more to follow :)

First off, sorry for the lack of updates, this has been due to the real world getting in the way and a lot less time on my hands thanks to my new job.

There have been a few small changes to the design which was done during the marking out process. The case is now 1cm wider as i was a bit concerned about the prospect of the WC block for the GFX being a bit tight. Also the PSU Structure support has been extended by 1cm on the depth to accomodate for a slightly larger PSU.

Also what im using for the main motherboard has changed slightly. Instead of going with Portwell, i am now going with a new lovely board from Commell, which has everything i need on (apart from 8gb support which im not going to get anytime soon :p) Heres a picture of the beauty...

commell.jpg

I took some pictures of the marking up that i done last night, not sure if you will be able to see a lot of the detail but will have some more up this weekend once the cutting has commenced and theres some more detailed pictures of the pieces.

markout1.jpg

markout2.jpg

There we some mistakes and sadly i dont have a rubber around so had to go over it in masking tape again. Im hoping i will have some time tonight to start the cutting but im not sure if the blades that came with the jigsaw are for wood or for softmetals, though there are 2 types so i will see if i get on.

I really hope you have a good plan for creating the "grill"/"mesh" holes in your design. If you are going to drill them it will be very exhausting work... not to mention that they will not be spaced right and the angle of the holes could vary if u do it by hand due to the drill slipping slightly.

Also, you could cut off any cables you don't need on your psu and any cables that are too long can be shortened and re-sleeved =)

Otherwise its a great design. I cant wait for more updates =)

To be honest i want to do it by hand, but i know it will be exhausting. I do IT Support in a college so im hoping they will have a mounted drill so it will be the same angle so all ill have to worry about is the spacing. What really matter is the front and that will be done using a predone bit.

I dont want to void the warranty on the PSU. im not sure my 600w Seaonsic S12 will be able to cope so will prob get the 700M12 which is the slightly more powerful modular version, or the 800 one if people think 700 wont be enough power.

I noticed you said you plan on using an 8800GTX, I would suggest using one of the new G92 based 8800GTS instead. Most benchmarks put them as good or better than the 8800GTX's and they cost about $90 less.

Back