Project: Ligneous

NukeULater

Gawd
My latest mod. I was bored with this old Gateway tower I was using for a server. So after finding some oak and taking the tower apart and figuring out a mounting method this mod begun. I happen to really enjoy working with wood. It is easy to use, yet has its own quirks. I love the contrast between hard wood and metal, it is very modern and clean if built properly. Before some one asks about the name here you go. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ligneous

Before the mod started. As you can see I already mounted steel casters on the bottom of the case. I didn't think anyone would mind not having any pictures.
Random_324.jpg

Random_323.jpg

Random_325.jpg

Random_326.jpg

The workspace. :D
Random_328.jpg

The wood after it was trimmed to size planned to .5 of an inch and glued. Originally, this wood was cut for a floor in my house. These were the left overs.
Random_327.jpg

It calls...
Random_329.jpg

Finished cutting the optical drive bays.
Random_330.jpg

Random_331.jpg

A bit of a problem, at least it was expected. ;) The ones that need less trimming are plastic, the other is going to be a problem because it is steel.
Random_332.jpg

Random_333.jpg

Finished with the plastic side panels.
Random_338.jpg

Removing the fan grill. I will clean the edges better another time.
Random_334.jpg

Drilling out the new mounting holes for the aluminum side vent. I still need to sand blast the vent, it was scrap in my garage.
Random_335.jpg

Random_336.jpg

Random_337.jpg

Time to start finishing the wood. I hand sanded at 220 grit for a nice smooth surface and then finished with Minwax water based polyurethane for floors. It has a very attractive satin finish, and turns very hard to protect the wood.
Random_339.jpg

One coat.
Random_341.jpg

Finished. (3 coats)
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e... Ligneous/?action=view&current=Random_343.jpg
Random_344.jpg

Time to mount the front panel. I am using 6-32 machine screws and tap. later I am going to get pan head stainless screws to make it look better.
Random_348.jpg

I was going to tap these rivets but they just ended up spinning to much.
Random_349.jpg

Then I moved to empty space between the optical drives. I used a 3/32nd drill bit and a 6-32 tap.
Random_350.jpg

Random_351.jpg

Finished with the mounting.
Random_352.jpg

Random_353.jpg

Back to the side panel. :) Please note the safety glasses and hearing protection. Please if you are working with these tools, wear them!
Random_354.jpg

Remember that lip on the metal side panel. Well it is gone now. I cut it off with the jigsaw and then cleaned it up with the angle grinder. But in the mean time. I cut through the spot welds holding on the panel. I expected that. Sorry I have no pictures of the process, I cant grind and photograph at the same time. :(
Random_355.jpg

Finished for today. Notice the oak case against my maple floor. ;) What a nice contrast.
Random_356.jpg

Random_357.jpg

Random_358.jpg

If anyone has any comments, suggestions or questions feel free to post. :D

Is that a Jerker Ikea desk I'm seeing? :D

Yes it is. It is going to be replaced with a new hand made desk. The jerker didn't hold up as well as it should.

I'm really liking my Jerker desk, though. Provides enough space for my 20" CRTs and leave some working space too :)

Man, the wooden front bezel looks so much better than the stock gateway.

for the face, I would have gone from the backside into the wood using either shallow wood screws or machine screws with inserts glued into the wood. would have made the face just flat wood no screw heads.

Also couldn't you have cut a relief into the wood peice that the lip of the metal panel would have slid into?

Any plans for the cd-drives?

for the face, I would have gone from the backside into the wood using either shallow wood screws or machine screws with inserts glued into the wood. would have made the face just flat wood no screw heads.

Also couldn't you have cut a relief into the wood peice that the lip of the metal panel would have slid into?

Any plans for the cd-drives?
I also thought about how to attach the front panel. Nothing other than screws would work. I was going to mount it from the inside but there isn't enough room to be able to remove it.

Yes I could have cut into the wood to allow that lip to slid in, but the wood would have only been 1/8 of an inch think. That is a bit thin for my tastes.

The CD-ROM drives are going to be steathed behind a piece of plexiglass or aluminum.

Glad you like it. :D

yeh probably would've looked nicer if there was a way of mounting form the inside. But you should still change the crews maybe to some countersunk flat headed screws (or w/e they're called) - imo the current ones are ugly. Otherwise it looks REALLY nice and REALLY sleek.

If your not opposed to having the front panel permanently attached, you could countersink the screws and put a dark oak plug over them. That would look nice. Maybe try to laminate the sides and top at some time. Or just paint the rest of the case black and get some black bezels for the drives.

yeh probably would've looked nicer if there was a way of mounting form the inside. But you should still change the crews maybe to some countersunk flat headed screws (or w/e they're called) - imo the current ones are ugly. Otherwise it looks REALLY nice and REALLY sleek.
Yes I am going to replace the screws with some panheads. Most likely stainless, or possibly brass...

If your not opposed to having the front panel permanently attached, you could countersink the screws and put a dark oak plug over them. That would look nice. Maybe try to laminate the sides and top at some time. Or just paint the rest of the case black and get some black bezels for the drives.
That is the thing, the front panel has to be able to be removed because the hard drive cage is attached to the front of the case. Oh well.

I'm thinking about using http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=180 on the side panels. They have a few dinks in them that would hard to use normal paint on. I'm thinking about using the copper color or the silver. Unless anyone would suggest a different color.

you are frigging INSANE...that box isn't worth...oh...uh...never mind...heh heh...really nice, gives me some ideas to lose the (old school) cylon plastic front shrowd here.

Man... what an elegant mod you have there! Top notch pictures and posting. Something as simple as replacing the front bezel was very entertaining to read. Great job. I would encourage you keep going with this and keep your creativity going with the rest of the case!

Since my last update I have painted the case. It is looking really nice and I will need to post pictures this weekend.

Back