Project: Lamniforme II

daedal

Gawd
I won't bother you with the details. I'll rather let the pictures do the talking for now. Please post your comments and suggestions! I'll need 'em later on!

Fresh from OEM Express, a local store. The beast cost about 200$ CDN. Not too bad.
000001.jpg

I also stopped by Canadian Tire for a few supply reffils. You guys should see how many paint cans I have lying around in the apartment. :p
000002.jpg

Man, this thing is huge.. I love it. :D
000003.jpg

So let's see what's inside!
000004.jpg

Oh, it's a box!
000005.jpg

Sweet! A blurry case!
000006.jpg

It's pretty site, ain't it?
000007.jpg

Sorry it's a bit blurry. Still learning how to use my camera and as you can see, I haven't figured it out yet.
000008.jpg

Man this front panel has allot of oppurtunities.
000009.jpg

I love how clean new rigs look. I think I'll mask my drivers later on.
000010.jpg

So many places to bolt on plexi on here. This will be silver later on.
000011.jpg

Doesn't seem to be much room for wire management though.
000012.jpg

So much stuff to rip out of there.. :p
000013.jpg

Just a reference pic.
000014.jpg

The PCI places will be polished later on.
000015.jpg

That PSU bracket will have to be torn out.
000016.jpg

The cleaning has begun!
000017.jpg

And here are some of the victims.
000018.jpg

Another reference shot.
000019.jpg

Here's my temp workbench.
000020.jpg

It's getting there.
000021.jpg

So much to do.
000022.jpg

But it is moving. This thing is gonna look sweet in black.
000023.jpg

Here's how the aluminum panels are clipped on.
000024.jpg

Hmm, these could be replaced easily.
000025.jpg

Even though they are pretty nice..
000026.jpg

Should I cut this thing out?
000027.jpg

Hmm.
000028.jpg

From the inside.
000029.jpg

Another inside shot.
000030.jpg

Yeah, that PSU bracket will have to go.
000031.jpg

Anyone else see some Lian-Li caster wheels on here?
000032.jpg

There's that bracket.
000033.jpg

Reference shot.
000034.jpg

w00t! Received my order.
000035.jpg

Here's the noise isolator. It'll be top-mounted later on.
000036.jpg

Here's the PSOne LCD. It'll be mutilated later on.
000037.jpg

Window kits. Got two because, you know.. I suck with drills.
000038.jpg

Dang this thing is small.
000039.jpg

But it's so cute. :p
Has anyone ever un-done one of these? There are two screws in the back but they only loosten the unit a bit. How do I remove the whole thing from the bracket?
000040.jpg

Possible window placement.
000041.jpg

Had to pick up some cables.. and soem Subway. :D
000042.jpg

Test run. Sweet, it works.
000043.jpg

Work work.
000044.jpg

I'm so scared of scratching this thing somewhere..
000045.jpg

Half way done.
000046.jpg

Bam. That's it. Let's hope it still works.
000047.jpg

Whew. Flawless.
000048.jpg

I'm relieved.. but why is there a big border around the image? Maybe I have to play with some sort of timing? Anyone?
000049.jpg

This is where it will go later on.
000050.jpg

That's gonna be sweet.
000051.jpg

Doh! Could a mod move this to the "Worklog" section please?
Man, I posted in the wrong sections twice today.. ugh, I need some sleep.

daedal said:
Doh! Could a mod move this to the "Worklog" section please?
Man, I posted in the wrong sections twice today.. ugh, I need some sleep.

PM mashie he should help ya out.

Anyway thing is looking good. I'm dif buying a P180 for my worklog. :D

this'll be interesting, but i still don't know why people would want to put a window in the p180's side panels. the whole point of that particular case was to reduce noise, and chopping hole ain't gonna help with that!

in any case, good luck with the mod!

daedal said:
But it's so cute. :p
Has anyone ever un-done one of these? There are two screws in the back but they only loosten the unit a bit. How do I remove the whole thing from the bracket?
000040.jpg

you probably have to take the knobs off the front, losen the screws and look to see if you can see the knobs wiggle with the board, i bet they will

/subscribed

oh.... good reference shots on this case... i was looking at getting 2 to replace the YY cube (i need a big case) and sometimes neweggs pics just dont do them justice

quick question though, the front and side panels, are they white or just ALU colored? if they are white, are they anodized or painted?

thore

thore said:
you probably have to take the knobs off the front, losen the screws and look to see if you can see the knobs wiggle with the board, i bet they will

/subscribed

oh.... good reference shots on this case... i was looking at getting 2 to replace the YY cube (i need a big case) and sometimes neweggs pics just dont do them justice

quick question though, the front and side panels, are they white or just ALU colored? if they are white, are they anodized or painted?

thore

The panels on the P180 are brushed aluminum

BoySetsFire said:
this'll be interesting, but i still don't know why people would want to put a window in the p180's side panels. the whole point of that particular case was to reduce noise, and chopping hole ain't gonna help with that!

in any case, good luck with the mod!
Because we can! :D

Thore said:
Yes, the nobs do wiggle with the PCB but the rings around them look clipped in and might be locking the nobs in place.

gotta chec kthe underside for the clips to release them. the knobs HAVE to come off first to finsh the break down.

el rolio said:
gotta chec kthe underside for the clips to release them. the knobs HAVE to come off first to finsh the break down.
Thing is I don't really have much, if any room, to check under. The PCB has little to no clearance from the nobs, even with the two retaining screws removed. I might be able to fit a flathead screwdriver in there but without reference to the clips, I'd be scared of breaking them off.
I'll try and get some pictures up tonight to show you.

looks good so far... and on your knobs.. it possibly could be that they are just on there that tight in the first place cause i had that same one and had alot of trouble getting the knobs off the first time... gl with it :p

1337m0dd3r said:
looks good so far... and on your knobs.. it possibly could be that they are just on there that tight in the first place cause i had that same one and had alot of trouble getting the knobs off the first time... gl with it :p
Ah, so you mean the nobs aren't retained by the rings? They're simply "stuck" in there?

sweet mod !!

and the knobs are only stuck on, very tight btw

here some pics i took 1 min ago, maybe the desrtoy your concerns about removing them

puuuuuulllll
fc1.JPG

fc2.JPG

fc3.JPG

shadowlord said:
sweet mod !!

and the knobs are only stuck on, very tight btw

here some pics i took 1 min ago, maybe the desrtoy your concerns about removing them

puuuuuulllll
http://members.kabsi.at/e4011a00/fc1.JPG[IMG]
[IMG]http://members.kabsi.at/e4011a00/fc2.JPG[IMG]
[IMG]http://members.kabsi.at/e4011a00/fc3.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]
I love you. :p

Here's a before shot. It was mocking me.
000052.jpg

Random LCD shot because I love this thing.
000053.jpg

Another random, useless shot.
000054.jpg

*Pull pull pull* *Get pissed* *Gasp* Doh, only pulled off the cover.
000055.jpg

*Grab pliers and a cloth* *Pull pull pull* * Get pissed* w00!
This thing is going on top of the case.
000056.jpg

Starting off in the right direction so far, I hope to be as lucky as that one day. Looking great man! keep up the good work!

I mounted my dead ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe. It died a few weeks ago from ESD. I brushed my arm against a TV I had on my desk and the static dircharge it created grounded itself in my PC, bringing the motherboard down with it.
000057.jpg

I started drawing a few "hints" on where I want/need to pass wiring.
000058.jpg

The trademarked "D". Smoooth.
000059.jpg

Time to remove the aluminum cover, but first, I'll have to undo these clips.
000060.jpg

You will be missed, metal slab.. and replaced with black plexi and an LCD. Oooh yeah.
000061.jpg

On a side note, I found these wheels in my toolbox while I was looking for a flathead screwdriver. I'll mount them on the bottom of the case. I love finding stuff I didn't even know I had.
000062.jpg

There we go. Oddly enough, it doesn't feel much lighter. Aluminum sure is a crazy metal. That's going to look so nice once that plexi replacement panel is done. Should be pretty easy to build too with the aluminum panel as a guide.
000063.jpg

I think I'll have to put some kind of pin in there to hold the wheels down.
000064.jpg

And finnaly, here's one of the fans that will be going in this thing. It needs to be polished though.
000065.jpg

That's all for today. I probably won't do much, if anything tomorrow as my girlfriend wants to go see a movie. I'll hopefully start construction on the replacement panel for the front on Saturday.

I'm trying to figure out how I could power the PSOne LCD though a Molex plug without having to find the PSOne Car Adapter plug.

So standard molex runs at 12v, and the LCD requires 7.5v and 2amps (I think it's 2 amps).
Any ideas? I'll also need to splice in a switch in there somewhere so I can power it on and off.

daedal said:
I'm trying to figure out how I could power the PSOne LCD though a Molex plug without having to find the PSOne Car Adapter plug.

So standard molex runs at 12v, and the LCD requires 7.5v and 2amps (I think it's 2 amps).
Any ideas? I'll also need to splice in a switch in there somewhere so I can power it on and off.

I think a bit of vero board, a voltage regulator (u might have to use a variable one and use resistors to set the voltage to 7.5V such as the LM317-T) or use an 7808 8V fixed regualtor, cause I dont think the extra 0.5V will harm the monitor, and a couple of caps across the input and output and you are pretty much done for your power to the screen. you can also pick up std molex connectors from your local electronics store (radio shack in they US)

I found this diagram for the regulator

LM317T Schematic

Molex Connectors you can buy like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=1317&doy=13m1

Hope this helps!

P.S, the above design is for a 1.5A design. It should be ok to power your monitor if you stick a heatsink on the regulator. you should be able to find a TO220 heatsink from your electronics store as well. Make sure it can dissipate 15W

Haha! I love my PSOne LCD screen too. That black border around the edges is there on mine too, and I think that where the plasic may have covered the LCD. They still look badass anyway!

Sev, thanks for that link, I will definately have to use that diagram because I have been looking for one too. :D

Very nice.

Out of curiosity, since I'm planning on getting a P180, how much room for hiding cables behind the mobo tray is there? I've read a lot about the difficulty of cable management in the P180...but I'll give it a whirl anyway. :)

Keep it up! Looks great.

fenton06 said:
Haha! I love my PSOne LCD screen too. That black border around the edges is there on mine too, and I think that where the plasic may have covered the LCD. They still look badass anyway!

Sev, thanks for that link, I will definately have to use that diagram because I have been looking for one too. :D

No problems! :D

Damn that is sweet. What window molds are those? You suck with a drill, I suck with a dremel :p

Today I started disassembling the case. That meant popping all rivets on there, and there's allot of them. I was wondering how the top panel was removed. I could see under there was rivets and was wondering how to remove the top panel so I gave it a tug.
000067.jpg

It's glued on! Huh, how would have thought of that?
000068.jpg

Here's one of the drive cages.
000066.jpg

That's my drill bit, and a fraction of the ammount of rivits that have been drilled out.
Yes, those silver rings are rivets. Yes, there's allot of them.
000069.jpg

And there's the top panel.
000070.jpg

And there's the rest!
000071.jpg

More tomorrow as I install the side window and start painting the chassis. :)

Miller said:
Very nice.

Out of curiosity, since I'm planning on getting a P180, how much room for hiding cables behind the mobo tray is there? I've read a lot about the difficulty of cable management in the P180...but I'll give it a whirl anyway. :)

Keep it up! Looks great.
The moldings are part of a "Window Kit" I got off a Canadian Mod website called "ADPMods". It comes with the window and locking molding strip but their site seems to be down right now. Not sure if they ship outside of Canada, however but I'm pretty sure that they just use standard locking strip.

You may be interested in mnpctech.com for window molding and other cool stuff. you should really check it out.

Back