[Project] Interior Des(k)ign - SR-2 inside

Very nice work man.

Thanks!

i wetted myself :(

Haha, you need Sr-2 Pampers!

very nicely done, can't wait for the finished product! :D

Thanks, neither can I, I need time!

how much you want for it?

1 million dollars....mwooooooohahahah and the world! Or an SR-3 with 2x2011 cpu's? ;)

Im subscribed - curious how it finishes out!

Thanks pal, keep checking for updates....

MOAR MONITORS!

There will be either 3x 23" dells or 2 x 27" dells, im undecided, plus Im saving up for tri-sli so pennies are tight!

Looking nice can't wait to see it done.

Thanks dude!

S[H]ady;1038289466 said:
holy crap!

this is epic!

Wow, thats an awesome complement thank you! I hope the finished desk is epic and I dont let you down!

very impressive! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks, soon be finished hopefully, if I stop adding things...

cant wait for more updates!

Tomorrow or Monday my friend, keep looking!

Is this a '68 Porsche in the background?

Edit: Nevermind, a Karman Ghia I guess :D

I was somewhat close.

Seems like you're having fun. can't wait to buy another house and do stuff like that as well.

Nice work Wejjy. Thanks for the updates and the pictures. A few questions if you don't mind.

1) Where will the Power Supply go.
2) Where does the outflow from the radiators go? Is it going in to the walls?

Is this a '68 Porsche in the background?

Edit: Nevermind, a Karman Ghia I guess :D

I was somewhat close.

Seems like you're having fun. can't wait to buy another house and do stuff like that as well.

Close yes! Thanks, thats the reason I built this case, fed up of my PC looking out of place, now it will 'fit in' more.

Really nice work, but I feel your not providing enough updates with pictures.

Thanks mate, sorry for the slow updates, my little girl is in hospital at the moment so I havent got much time, back to it soon though. Plus Im waiting for my laser cut parts to arrive...

Nice work Wejjy. Thanks for the updates and the pictures. A few questions if you don't mind.

1) Where will the Power Supply go.
2) Where does the outflow from the radiators go? Is it going in to the walls?

Thanks mate, the kind words help me keep going! No problems with the questions too, i'll gladly answer them...

1) There are 2 PSU's both are hidden in the void underneath the desk the wiring will be custom and the loom as such will be slightly different to the usual PC, you'll see soon!

2) The hot air from the exhaust side of the rads does indeed vent into the walls, I may reverse this in winter so cool air is drawn in, there will be a grill underneath to allow the air out so dont worry about the positive pressure. Well observed though!!

Thanks!

Looks awesome dude! Can't wait to see the final product. Watercooled SR-2 builds are always a joy to see.

Thanks mate, sorry for the slow updates, my little girl is in hospital at the moment so I havent got much time, back to it soon though. Plus Im waiting for my laser cut parts to arrive...

Thanks!
As a father of 2 I hope your daughter is home soon.

Ok so the reason for me not updating this in a while is my daughter, she had the first of 3 operations recently on her brain so to say that modding has come second for a while is an understatement. Hope you all understand...anyway she is improving and well on her way to recovery now so the modding will resume.

24433079.jpg

I managed to make a little tiny bit of progress on the rear radiator cover before I hung up my tools for a while, this was 3 hours work with a jigsaw and file to get it to look right, it will be glued in place with soundproofing between the steel and the ally.

738e8b39.jpg

Looks ok to me and will be painted on the exterior too...

6512b59b.jpg

5e19fc72.jpg

Ignore the uprights, they were just there to assist with the clamping as its not glued yet.

The final part in the jigsaw is the laser cutting, I have waited and waited and waited for these guys to come up trumps with my panels but they are driving me mad, they never reply to emails, when I call them they give me excuses, so Im looking elsewhere to get these parts cut, as soon as theyre here, the case will come together really fast! In the meantime we have decided also that we might move house, so I need to find an equivalent corner to put this beast in, otherwise the move wont work! Although Ive been given permission by my wife to build the biggest coolest shed as a workshop/modding haven so I may be persuaded.

More updates soon I promise!

Hope your daughter is okay, thats a nasty looking scar.

Nice update on the work.

Good lord, Now I wan't to send a get well soon card :( I hope everything works out as best as possible.

Hope your daughter is okay, thats a nasty looking scar.

Nice update on the work.

Thanks pal, shes getting stronger by the day, soon be back to normal hopefully!

Looks like a karmann gia.

Cool project man. Some serious [H]....

It is indeed a Karmann Ghia, thanks for the kind words, I need them!

Good lord, Now I wan't to send a get well soon card :( I hope everything works out as best as possible.

Thank you, an EVGA Classified Ultra card would be a great get well card! Lol

So the laser cutters called and told me my parts are ready, so im off to them tomorrow to collect them, then hopefully on wednesday I may be able to make a little but of progress, ihoping to get this finished by Mid March.

Quick question... Should I go Sli with EVGA Classified 580's the 3gb cards or go for 7970's in cf. I do a lot of rendering as well as gaming so need to know which would be the best all rounders not only gamers?

Thanks pal, shes getting stronger by the day, soon be back to normal hopefully!

It is indeed a Karmann Ghia, thanks for the kind words, I need them!

Thank you, an EVGA Classified Ultra card would be a great get well card! Lol

So the laser cutters called and told me my parts are ready, so im off to them tomorrow to collect them, then hopefully on wednesday I may be able to make a little but of progress, ihoping to get this finished by Mid March.

Quick question... Should I go Sli with EVGA Classified 580's the 3gb cards or go for 7970's in cf. I do a lot of rendering as well as gaming so need to know which would be the best all rounders not only gamers?

Lol I ran out of spending money buying my 2500k and stuff :cool:

I would take the 7970's myself, But that's just me.

Your mod is looking good, keep up the great work.

Good luck with your daughter's recovery, my prayers are with you, and your family :)

Whoops clicked the wrong button and put my badge in. :p Should be a sweet looking corner desk :p

Thanks for the kind words even though you didnt mean to click on me! Check again please soon!

Your mod is looking good, keep up the great work.

Good luck with your daughter's recovery, my prayers are with you, and your family :)

Thankyou for liking my mod and for the prayers, both appreciated very much!

Minor update 19/02/2012

So my daughter is recovering slowly, my wife is fed up me being under her feet 'trying to help', so I got sent out to the workshop for 2 hours this afternoon... Heres what got done! Not major progress but ive been away for soooo long, plus my dad and I share the workshop and he's the best dad but sooooo messy, so I spent a lot of time looking for things that werent on my bench!

I wanted a usb header so tried to fit something discreet into the existing design, this is what Ive come up with to solve this headache...

I took one of the uprights from the front right hand end and modded it

8577d3b7.jpg

Marked it out and drilled the pilot holes

Then set about it with a file...

e13fbe27.jpg

Needs finishing but I didnt manage to find the square pin file! (ahem dad!!)

5bc4c041.jpg

Cut the slot out on the rear to slide the usb header into...

2e214434.jpg

How it looks

f1be0178.jpg

Ive also moved the HDD hot swap system from the front panel to the left end between the two uprights as shown in the renders I put up earlier in the thread. They needed airflow over them, so Ive designed a panel to slide into the end with a 120mm fan on the rear. It swivels out of the way to allow full access to the hot swappable discs so cool and practical.

Here it is...

f2b55dce.jpg

It was only the same process of plasma cuteer and folding so I didnt take any progress shots of it sorry! One more...

a6fe9d42.jpg

Im chuffed!

It was good to be back to normal, kind of. I will reveal the laser cut panels soon, Im just waiting for the 8mm steel bar to put around the perimeter then I can make progress.

I also treated myself to a 7970, the first of a pair hopefully! Oops! Wont bore you all with box shots!!!!

See you later in the week guys!

I love it! Prayers for your daughter! Hope all is well! I really like these built in desk designs. I think I'll try it out for my next build in about 3 years. ^_^

Update 24/2/2012

A reasonably big one this time guys as I picked my steel up from the laser cutting firm, and then had a decent day at the workshop excitedly getting it all together. I worked through things as logically as possible so here are the progress shots. I'll let the photos talk as they kind of speak for themselves!

d152e77f.jpg

8f5a9499.jpg

Shiny!!!

66f58cdb.jpg

9f46c125.jpg

c137c0db.jpg

01cf5a67.jpg

09a02238.jpg

This forms the framework...

880a8cde.jpg

b27e6205.jpg

8534b561.jpg

35f4e804.jpg

eb839b75.jpg

95544370.jpg

Had always planned to cut these out as they are underneath so they need to fit around the lower fans like this...

e01a9675.jpg

f9a83ff0.jpg

54f94c0b.jpg

bd7d9312.jpg

Im really happy with the proportions etc.

235f07c5.jpg

Had to make a rear cover for the hot swap HDD cage so I cut along my shiny new panel and used 20mm angled aluminium to cover the sides, it needs to be cut to the right height, but Ive made a lid for it already, thats for tomorrow!

6b66257f.jpg

Its a bit dark sorry, but this gives you an idea of my plans, the HDD rack will have two SSD's mounted on the front of it with little aluminium mounts, should look nice hopefully. Needs painting though!

a5abf75f.jpg

Thanks again to my sponsors!

b6b8aaeb.jpg

6d0137bc.jpg

awesome man, really starting to come together.

Thanks man, more to come tomorrow, have a couple of hours in the afternoon to pop up to the workshop again, so hope to get the other side dome and the HDD rack finished!

Update 25/02/2012

Bit more progress today on the HDD rack. I managed to get the backplate cut down and the lid fitted. I blind-rivetted the bar to the front of the lid and then tapped it M4 and put two more cap-heads in the front to secure it. Once painted all will look uniform, at the moment it doesnt look crisp enough for my liking, but a lick of paint will sort that!

8ee01b97.jpg

3c4522a8.jpg

0c4da65f.jpg

f2080055.jpg

Also fitted a fan to the rear, the SSD's will be mounted on the front so the fan had ro be placed here really. Not ideal but the only otherboption requires a lot more space so Im working on ideas for that currently.

f6c5344c.jpg

Front cover...

a3d45bd2.jpg

This will hinge down to allow access to the hot swap bays...

85bb151a.jpg

And finally, I managed to mount the radiator to the rear panels, this needs to be a reasonably easy way to mount them as the rear panels will eventually be welded into place, so the fans and rads need to be fully removeable whilst leaving behind the rear panel, the original mounting method would allow for this. More pics of this will follow...

0a00fcd1.jpg

Wow just impressive. Going to keep an eye on this as your rig puts mine to a complete shame.
Also, wishing your daughter doing well in her recovery.

Wow just impressive. Going to keep an eye on this as your rig puts mine to a complete shame.
Also, wishing your daughter doing well in her recovery.

Thank you, glad you are following too, keeps me going on the tough slow progress days!
My daughter is recovering well, thanks again.

bump for looking :)

great work

Ta for the bump and the kind words, always appreciated!

Update 29/02/12

So I managed to squeeze another couple of hours in today, got a lot done, in fact the majority of the fabrication is done, woop de flippin doo! Its been a while but the progress is spurring me on no end!

So first up I'd like to introduce a new sponsor...

feb7b6bb.jpg

I emailed these guys asking them if they would send me an IO plate for an SR-2 with the 9 pci slots as I was strugglinf to find one, they normally sell full cases an phase changers, but they agreed to sponsor me instead! So Im getting the IO plate and a few other goodeis from them, thanks Ales!

So onto the case...

After some scribbling on paper last night, I decided to mount the rads in the simplest way possible, a bracket system through the fan mounting holes, this wY it comes out with just 4 M3's so it keeps it simple.

7a55eb04.jpg

Made 8 of these bad boys!

733b28e1.jpg

43833337.jpg

41d7bb4a.jpg

Acid etched it too as its completed, exciting!

56f57145.jpg

Then I moved onto the desk itself, fitted the last two uprights, including the one I mounted the USB header inside of last time round, this will be hidden from view...all will be revealed as I progress!

e33106f1.jpg

The final hurdle was mounting the motherboard tray, I wanted to be able to remove this without the standoffs which are 30mm tall and snag on everything, so I drilled one end out to remove the threads approx 10mm deep.

d80552f9.jpg

I then tapped the other 20mm again with an M4 to remove burr etc...

3cea5f85.jpg

Then I drilled holes in the appropriate places and countersunk the underside and blind rivetted them to the case chassis itself, this holds them and once filled with resin on the underside also prevents them spinning when tightening the M4's on the top. Sorted!

34b8550c.jpg

5 down, 1 to go...

1e0934d1.jpg

caa79e1f.jpg

All done...

Motherboard tray is now officially fixed!

d4741649.jpg

Next job was the fans. I want the two countersunk fans to push air INTO the case, that means flipping the Enermax fans to the ugly side up, which kind of wrecks my aesthetics, so I started modding the Silverstone Penetrators...what do you guys think? They will be black... With a Red LED.

fb54b078.jpg

fa5f3762.jpg

5e9947ac.jpg

Dont worry, I'll be re-wiring it all!

1219053f.jpg

The pumps fit perfectly too which is always a bonus...

c35ff92b.jpg

Next job, mount the reservoirs, invisibly, as I dont want brackets on show, I didnt finish as had to get home but started, so should be fitted next time Im up there... guess how!

651436d9.jpg

2dde5211.jpg

80a732e1.jpg

f899e250.jpg

0658eae1.jpg

First coat of satin black on the rad mount...

99005ef1.jpg

So thats it folks for today, hope you like it so far, Im getting excited now big time.... Im also planning a dual Raspberry Pi/Arduino project to be integrated into this beast, we shall see, it makes the electronic side of this project which is the next phase so much more exciting!

Thanks again for the support from sponsors:

b6b8aaeb.jpg

6d0137bc.jpg

feb7b6bb.jpg

Its fantastic very L3p quality.

P.S. i hope your daughters recovery is coming along good.

Its fantastic very L3p quality.

P.S. i hope your daughters recovery is coming along good.

Wow, that's the ultimate compliment mate, I don't think I'm anywhere near L3p quality yet, I'm trying though! Thanks!

My daughter is almost back to 100% now thanks :)

Good to hear. looks like it wasn't pleasant for her.

Great work on the build. I check back daily hoping for more :p

Good to hear. looks like it wasn't pleasant for her.

Great work on the build. I check back daily hoping for more :p

It wasnt the nicest but shes better than before, so there are always positives!

Thanks for checking back, should have some time at the workshop tomorrow so check Thursday for large updates!

Also have a fancy new idea for this project, to integrate something small and powerful into it... Hmmm, perhaps then I WILL RULE THE WORLD...sorry bit carried away, but yep got plans, working on them as we speak!

So I cracked on at my workshop for a couple of hours yesterday, determined to get this thing finished, but again a plan arose! Here's your one and only clue! If you look closely there are markings on the panel, the markings say 170mmx170mm... guess away!

4d0bae59.jpg

Anyway, fun over! Onto the buildlog progress, last time round I figured how to mount the Res's invisibly as I didnt like the brackets I previously used, so heres how it all fits...

8a59a84c.jpg

8edb7ffe.jpg

4aeeed3d.jpg

So you basically tighten the four grub screws to align it in the hole perfectly and jobs done, hidden and strong, just what I like!

Then I tack welded the two rear panels in place.

17331048.jpg

Didnt like the rad mounting option still but Ive now sorted it again, the fourth incarnation!

Still waiting on the rear IO panel from LD so used an old one for now to roughly measure things up, fitted the mobo tray in place first and then started off with the square measuring and measuring again.

24b1797e.jpg

d7148ccd.jpg

Happy with the size and fit of the rear mobo panel so started cutting...

3e23133c.jpg

003616ed.jpg

The cables will all run through here as they will be attached to various gizmos, all will become clear! Rasduino contained!

6eabf7cf.jpg

This is the case with the skeleton complete for the first time! Hooray, its off to be powder coated soon, meanwhile I'll be working on the electronics, vero board, arduino, and soldering iron at the ready!

Ive also worked outed an awesome way to paracord cables...its easy and neat and tidy without the obligatory burned fingers! I will put a post up soon and link it here, hope it helps!

Thanks again for the support from sponsors:

b6b8aaeb.jpg

6d0137bc.jpg

feb7b6bb.jpg

I received the I/O shield from LD Cooling, its awesome, the quality is truly amazing. Rather than tapping the holes they press little inserts into them, and the blanking plates etc are just all perfect, I cant rate them highly enough! The powder coating quality is top notch too, thanks guys. I'll be fitting this tomorrow hopefully!

b45e9581.jpg

741779bc.jpg

159ee835.jpg

The case is off to the powder coaters next week, so it'll be onto the wiring etc next, I'll try to update things mid week if possible. Im excited about seeing it all in paint! Then its the fun bit, water + hardware!!!

Also gotta make the monitor bracket, Ive sorted it all on paper, just need to crack the welder out and get on with it, it will look like the monitors are floating, and will allow them to rotate from landscape to portrait, all in eyefinity setup, with this..... Soon to be 2!

aa279b64.jpg

See you all soon!

wow amazing job so far, I just sub looking for more updates

glad your daughter is almost back to 100%!

Very brief update, and shoddy photos as I took them in a hurry sorry. Better ones will follow soon I promise, its just a start as theres a tonne of wiring to do on this one!

So I removed all of the original cables from the Phobya fans I have, and bolted them onto a rad grill I have with the correct spacings so I could work on the back of the fans. I then set about making my custom cables from scratch! Heres the progress...

3d992869.jpg

90888eab.jpg

b2d270c8.jpg

And the finished product...

976c6cff.jpg

DONT PANIC! I have designed some custom stickers to go over the old phobya ones that will also match the rest of the fans as I have Silverstone ones in there too, more to come soon folks!

Ordering some bits and pieces for the m-itx build soon. Should I do the build log seperately to this one until I combine the PC into the desk, or run it inside this log, thoughts please?

nice job on the pcdesk. Also I am interested in the In the little blue car you have there in the garage (looks kinda like Volkswagen or Porsche) Pics please :)

Back