Project: Ingraham

Excellent job from beginning to end. I looked forward to every update and can't wait for your next project.

Thanks man! I appreciate you taking the time to post. :)

Have you had a Rig Of The Month from maximum pc for some of your mods?

I think i have seen one of them looking back in my magazines.

August 2006. If you have a copy of June 2005 take a look at page 24. lol

Mr. Stephenson, wait, it can't be over so soon. There must be more to do. I have followed your creations starting with the humidor series. I consider you to be a consumate professional. I am in awe of your work Sir. So it pains me to make suggestions for your perfect creation.
1. As a SilverStone promoter, I was surprised that you didn't use a SilverStone SST-Aero Slot instead of the plain slot cover. Further, you might be able to use one on the fan or sacrifice a fan for its slot cover. Goal being matching slot covers. Either way, the plain one must go.
2. I understand today's design trends, however, using a bad analogy a sports car may not be practical or too useful, but it sure looks good. In that vain the front connectors would have to go to the rear. Further gilding the lilly I would consider hiding the power switch with one of the louvers. By the way, is there a reset switch or is it wired into the power switch?
3. Forgive me for asking as I'm sure you've already covered it, but there is no optical dirve? The UJ-857 is a 9.5mm slot drive that would never be seen. The perfect spot would be centered right where the wood and the louvres meet.
Concluding, don't think I don't like it --- I do. It is always a treat to view your work. And it is difficult for me to make suggestions to a Master in the field. Continued success to you Sir. Cheers!

Hey ethosa! I blush at your gushings. I appreciate your comments and your brazen opinions. Finally...someone with a pair.

But...may I respond, and please take no offense.

1. Putting a slot cover with holes in it directly above a PCI slot blower only short circuits the proper air flow. If you look at it from behind (refer to first two photos in post #118) you will observe that the blower's suction is right next to the empty slot. My cooling system works because the blower draws a negative suction on the case thus drawing fresh air in through the front vents. You are correct about the look of it. I could have done better. When Ingraham gets back from CES I am installing a low-powered PCI-e video card if for nothing else than to gain a DVI jack.

2. Good question . Here is my reasoning based on a lot of experience. People generally don't like being fooled. Hiding the fact that this is a computer seems like the correct (and fun) thing to do but it subconsciously pisses people off. What people DO like is solving puzzles. By placing a few subtle clues around the case I can engage a viewer's reasoning and lead them to solve the riddle I have prepared. What is it? What does it do? I know! I know! Look at those ports. I recognize those things. It's a computer! Great satisfaction followed shortly by a cigarette. :) Much better response than "Gotcha!"

3. Lots of reasons I left out the optical drive. Foremost is the fact that it is a dying technology. I have a 64GB thumbdrive that I can back the entire system onto. I just don't use CD drives anymore. I download entertainment and software and I use CD cracks to eliminate the need to have game discs in drives during play...yeah...I said it. I have three external USB 2.0 DVD burners that work just fine. At last count I own 16 CD drives and I don't use any of them so I was damned if I was going to buy another just to fulfill some imaginary obligation. I left out a floppy drive. Wasn't too long ago when that was unheard of. Ingraham is a show piece. It was built to help VIA debut the their new Nano CPU to the press at CES. I invoke the same rule that allows automotive advertisers to leave radio antennas off of cars for TV and magazine ads. No one seems to mind or care. Ingraham is a working, viable computer that just doesn't get any radio stations. So sue me.

[/soapbox]

Thanks for your post. I DO appreciate your opinions.

Mr. Stephenson, I totally understand your reasoning on all points. The reset switch; does it have one, or did you wire it in with the power switch?
At the risk of being banished from the Tribe or being stoned I'd like to revisit the slot cover. Way back in another life when I designed a computer cooling device (I still have two patents on it) I forked over $60 (that hurt) for a thick book on cooling electronic enclosures and it discussed cooling in great detail; passive, forced, convection, etc. So I understand your cooling set up. With esthetics still in mind you could still use one of the SliverStone slot covers and cover it from the otherside which would give you the look and the "seal" at the same time. And SilverStone has a new SST ClearCMOS cover that could be sealed from otherside as well. I don't know if it would be compatible with the VIA motherboard. I don't own stock in SilverStone. (I don't own any right now.) I understand that you may have shipped it off already and that you are eventually going to place a card there anyway, but I gave it some more thought. Your creations are thought-provoking and for me, intellectually stimulating. Please keep it up. Thank you for your time Masterbuilder Stephenson. Cheers!

Reset switch? Reset switch? I don't need no stinking reset switch. I can't remember the last time I used one. I just hold the power button in for a count of five. I don't know if they even include reset switches on new cases.

Photos have been taken and distributed so that means Ingraham is "done" whether I like it or not.

There is an Engadget article this morning if anyone's interested.

Concur --- who needs a reset switch. Re-reading your posts you mentioned getting the louvers back from the Forge.Please enlighten us as much as you can. I won't be crass and ask how much, but I would like to know everyting else. The process involved for example. Obviously wood can be used for the forms. Could you tell us what company that you used? An unrelated aside, when you see those guys on TV motorcycle shows send off their fabrications to the "chrome shop" and get them back in a couple of days; that is not the normal reality. For the average guy, the job goes into the cue and it will take 2 to 3 weeks minimum. Thank you again. Cheers!

Yes. I was Newegg's poster boy back in the summer of 2005. :p:p:p

Anyone recognize these people? :confused:

techtv.jpg

man, i miss the screen savers.

Concur --- who needs a reset switch. Re-reading your posts you mentioned getting the louvers back from the Forge.Please enlighten us as much as you can. I won't be crass and ask how much, but I would like to know everyting else. The process involved for example. Obviously wood can be used for the forms. Could you tell us what company that you used? An unrelated aside, when you see those guys on TV motorcycle shows send off their fabrications to the "chrome shop" and get them back in a couple of days; that is not the normal reality. For the average guy, the job goes into the cue and it will take 2 to 3 weeks minimum. Thank you again. Cheers!

i think that was a joke, he used wood thought and thought, and only made a passing joke that it looks like ALU. becuase if he had used alu, or even cheap pot metal, that one piece would have cost him more than the entire build (wood,system,and original case) put together.

thore, thanks for enlightening me. Joke's on me. When the Masterbuilder speaks --- I hang on every word. By the way, there is a company that I have seen mentioned previously on this forum that specializes in aluminum faceplates, etc. They even have special software that can be used to create the designs with. Thanks again thore for setting me straight. Cheers!

Great job with this - finally a mod that doesn't look like the retarded cousin of a toaster and a tie-fighter.

Very nice work. Brings back twin memories of my Dad building finished furniture for our house (he cheated and used stain since we couldn't afford nice veneers) and working my butt off in highschool woodshop class so I would have the core knowledge base required to someday learn to build functional and attractive furniture for my own house.

Your veneer work certainly has added a twist to some rather pedestrian projects I have in mind, so thanks for that too.

Color me quite impressed. Daggone fine job, and the overwhelming majority of the work done by hand.

I really like the slotted 'speakers'.

Wow. That is frickin impressive. That is incredibly detailed and immaculatly done. Great job !!

Excellent work yet again skip. You are a master with wood and truly capture the look and feel of the era. I would love to have one of these for myself.

I love seeing your cases at shows and watching people try to figure out what and how it is. That in itself is a accomplishment in itself and a credit to you craftsmanship. Again, excellent work.

I appreciate all the comments guys. It's good to know I stiil got it.:)

One last detail that I missed in the writeup: The centerpiece is an Arlen Ness baby moon gas cap for '97 Harley FLH. Arlen's chrome is insane. The edge of the cap is knurled which matches the knurled rheostat knob on the back.

Thanks again everyone!

wow, very very nice job on that great piece of functional art

what would really be awesome is if you were to mod an LCD panel in this same style of woodwork, and also obtain/create a "wood" theme for the OS's GUI to help tie it all together.

Nice work, slipperyskip, you have inspired me to work on my first big case mod :)

Just an update. There is news out today about VIA's Trinity Platform. Ingraham is being prepped to display this capability at CES in a few weeks. I'm installing an S3 Graphics video card and tweaking the system to demo Blu-ray capability.

I'm also currently building an accessory for Ingraham from the scrap leftover from the project. I'm keeping it under wraps until the show. :)

Everyone have a great holiday season! Cheers!

Can't wait to hear more :)

Have a great time these holidays!

Those speakers look very happy to me. They sure love their new outfit :)

BTW, I'd love to learn more about woodworking skills... do you have guides or anything I could use? :)

Those speakers look very happy to me. They sure love their new outfit :)

BTW, I'd love to learn more about woodworking skills... do you have guides or anything I could use? :)

Thanks. I'm not a woodworker I only play one on TV. Woodworkers have real tools and shops and stuff like that. I do most of my work sitting in my Lazy-Boy recliner while listening to Dire Straits.

Thanks. I'm not a woodworker I only play one on TV. Woodworkers have real tools and shops and stuff like that. I do most of my work sitting in my Lazy-Boy recliner while listening to Dire Straits.

I love Dire Straits :D

I'd call someone who has got the skills a woodworker, though :) and you most definitely have got the skills. In fact, I'd call you a natural. You're sure you're just improvising all this perfect work? :)

I have seen this computer on Engadget. It's a work of art. An amazing piece, my hat's off to you.

Back