Project...ehmm...Work in progress? (mmm pics)

vtoe

Weaksauce
Im gonna call it work in progress becasue I dont have all the parts needed to complete it yet. But within the next week to 2 weeks everything will be off backorder and available to buy.

The case I am using is from my existing pc. Its a Lian-li pc-65. My plan is to cut the front bezel and front of the case to allow more air flow. I really like the G5 / lnew lian look so Im on the hunt for some perforated aluminum. A single or possibly dual 120mm fan will sit in the front to get some well needed air flowing. I also want to integrate a self feeding cdrom combo so I can just make a small slit in the perf' aluminum, outlined by a solid piece of aluminum. I would like to have the perf' aluminum in the rear also but I havent really looked at how to go about doing that yet.

Well here we go!
1.jpg

Already to be taped up.
2.jpg

All tapped up and ready to be DESTROYED!!!! hahaha :D
3.jpg

I picked up some new sheet metal(extra smooth/fine toothed) bits. Using a jigsaw and having a steady hand helped out. Alot of you guys use rotors to do big long straight cuts dont you? Good thing I had safety goggles on. Chips were flying everywhere.
5.jpg

4.jpg

So it turned out pretty good I think. 2 or 3 spots need to be sanded but other then that I was right on point. Better to have extra pieces sticking out that I can sand off then to have went past my mark.
6.jpg

I didnt get an pics of me sanding the edges cause dust was all over my hands and in the air. I made my own sanding block out of a 2"x 1" and stapled some sandpaper around it. I wanted a nice long flat surface so I could get perfect lines. After that I had some nerf like sanding blocks left over from a previous drywall job I did. They worked well to clean up any burs along the edges and give it that finshed look.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Im tempted to take my whole case apart today and just use my laptop for the rest of the time until parts are available. Its supposed to rain up here on the east coast from tonight through the week, so I'll have nothing to do but mod my case :cool: . I could always just pull out my mobo tray and leave it on my desk running but I dont think my kitty and open pc mix well. See what happens.

vToe

Backorders suck...looks good my nubbly friend.

I would consider modding my case but the entire bezel is plastic and would not be fun to work with. That and it doesn't rain here enough so I never get shut in my attic...but thats beside the point.

Go go plastic powa!

This ought to be pretty interesting. I hope you go overboard :p

Ok I couldnt hold back. I ripped my pc apart and now its sitting in my garage all tapped up. Just waiting for my sis to get back with the digi cam so I can get the pics before I start cutting. She'll be home soon..

Stay tuned!

man she better or i am going to have to get my can of whoop ass

canshot.jpg

apHytHiaTe said:
Complete and total disrespect for the Lian Li case! I love it :D

LOL, I thought you where gonna diss him hard.. But I was wrong.. :D I read your post way to slow so I had a little laugh..

Finally she came back. Here it sat for a couple hours all taped up while I waited for her to get back.
10.jpg

11.jpg

Cutting this was alot eaiser since I didnt have to worry about messing up as much since its on he inside. Also Im getting the feel of the new metal bits which cut lovely.
12.jpg

All sanded up.
13.jpg

14.jpg

Can you say "air flow".
15.jpg

16.jpg

Im gonna be cutting up a bit higher. The lowest 5.25 bay will end up cutting cut off a bit, if not totally. I just ordered this
17.jpg

but it prolly wont be here till tuesday.Im only using the inner tray of it. I want the cdrom drive to sit half way down the top bay and then the HD rack directly under it. Once I figure out the exact spot I can chop off, ITS GONE! I want to be able to fit dual 120mm fans. Down the road I plan on adding a dual 120mm radiator for my future wc setup. Its always good to plan ahead.

See ya soon!

jayjaya29 said:
Looks great. So what kind of hardware are you putting in this?

- MSI K8N Neo Platinum
- Athlon 64 3500 939pin
- OCZ DDR PC-3700 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Dual Channel
- Western Digital - Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10K rpm 8MB Hard Drive
- Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2400 Golden Sample GeForce 6800 GT AGP 8X 256MB
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Limited Edition

All being powered by my existing antec true blue 550.

vToe

Looks great!

Are you going to do anything with the old HD rack? If not will you be willing to sell it? I'm going to need one pretty soon for my case mod.

CrimandEvil said:

thnx crim

Heres a small update.

I ordered most of the stuff I need for my case.

Athlon 64 3500 939pin
OCZ DDR PC-3700 Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Dual Channel
Western Digital - Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10K rpm 8MB Hard Drive
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Limited Edition
ThermalRight XP-120
Lian-Li EX-23 Silver Drive Bay Expansion/Kooling kit

There are only 2 things on backorder.
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Gainward PowerPack! Ultra/2400 Golden Sample GeForce 6800 GT AGP 8X 256MB
Both should be coming in later this week. So I hope...

A couple things are still up in the air. CD/DVD combo drive for one. I want a slot loading drive but havent come across anything I like. Another thing is fans. Ive looked around and found that most 120mm fans max out at 2000rpm. I plan on adding a fan controller so it would be nice to juice them up while my system is under load and turn them down while im trying to sleep. The problem I see is 2000rpm isnt "juiced" up in my book.

If anyone has some insight on either of these things please leave some info.

Thnx

vToe

Do you mean slot loading as in a laptop drive? I know were you can get them but your going to have to wait alittle before I post links (about to hit the sack for a few hours).

for the fans, look at the CFM, not RPM, a higher rpm will most likely just add a lot of noise or lower the life of the bearing. a well designed fan will have high CFM despite the low rpms. 120mm fans do have high airflow and are very quiet as a result of reduced speed.

Yay!!! My parts are starting to roll in one buy one. So by the end of the weekend I should be 90% finshed. Theres only two things holding me up. One is this perforated metal I want for the front of my case. I cant seem to find it cheaper then 80$ for a 1'x2' piece. The other is the case fans I want. The multi color ones I can find but the all blue, which I want. I cant find anywhere. I even had my friend call peru today and speak up some spanglish for me. Still no luck. If anyone knows where to find these to part number fans. AL12025-LD2 and AL8025-LD2 PLEASE PM ME!!! I reall ythink they will compliment the front of my case nicely. since its going to be almost open. I like how these fans glow in the center and the solid outer parameter doesnt.
18.jpg

On to the update!!!!! Heres where I left off. Waiting for my new HD rack to come in so I could measure it up before cutting.
19.jpg

20.jpg

Off they go! Aluminum rivets drill very very easy!!
21.jpg

Marked and taped, ready to be CHOPPED!
22.jpg

23.jpg

AHHHH WHAT I DOO!!! I MESSED UP! j/k Here it is...
24.jpg

Heres the little extra I need to tak off the front of my case to get my dual 120mm fans to fit with ease.
25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

All sanded up. Got my new rivet gun and Im ready to go!!
28.jpg

29.jpg

Here she is all finshed.
I really think it came out nice. Cant wait to make a sweet looking bracket/mount for the fans in the front.
30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Until next time!!!!

Even though I think vtoe is a total scrub :D that is a badass cut up job.

Everyone tell him to stop looking for the fans, cuz he's drivin himself nuts.

vToe's the man, you're just angry...angry angry ehzn.

If anyone out there knows where homeboy can get a sheet of perforated aluminum to use for the front faceplate (well, entire front) for a halfway decent price (I'd say far less than <$50, really) and decent quality, help help a nubbles out! :D

Omnova said:
vToe's the man, you're just angry...angry angry ehzn.

If anyone out there knows where homeboy can get a sheet of perforated aluminum to use for the front faceplate (well, entire front) for a halfway decent price (I'd say far less than <$50, really) and decent quality, help help a nubbles out! :D

You can go to a mac store, smash a G5, and take that...it's a sweet lookin case, btw :D

I have less than kind words for the insides unfortunately...Macs just aren't my thing. I think they intentionally drive me nuts.

I have found good deals on Aluminum Mesh etc.. on ebay of all places.
I HATE ebay, but if your careful, you can find some good prices

D.

mm177 said:
You can always go with these 120 fan aluminum and mod some lights.

It does not look like your fans exist aside from Evercool web.

He wants blue framed, you can find those but the light up ones seem to be pretty hard (I have seen them in the past though). I think he should just get the blue framed/ clear ones and mod them.

Hmmm today started out nice but ended bad. My cordless drill ran outa batteries so I wasnt able to finish. Heres the bracket I made for the font of my case to hold my dual 120mm fans. Since I wasnt able to find the evercool fans I wanted that are aluminum and blue led. I decided to build a shroud to vcover the side of the fans. It came out better then I expected. Just need to cut out holes, trim the tabs stickin out the side to fit my case and mount it. take a look!

33.JPG

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

Im was too tired to pick out the good pics. I had to upload them on a diff pc so I dont know which is which.

vtoe

LOL, what the hells up with all the worklogs having atleast one cat pic? Hmmm..must remember to get a cat pic myself when I start my own log. :D

Anyways looking good there. :)

CrimandEvil said:
LOL, what the hells up with all the worklogs having atleast one cat pic? Hmmm..must remember to get a cat pic myself when I start my own log. :D

Anyways looking good there. :)

hahaha kitties always wanna know whats going on. So they always in your face.

Btw. That lower hole I cut in my mobo tray was done with a jig saw thats why its not perfectly round. I was alittle dissapointed about it but it will be covered my a fan guard so all is good I guess.

vtoe

Man you got all that hardware and you don't have a hole saw for your drill??? Scrubbly...;)

Apparently he's right, evercool is the only maker of blue led aluminum 120mm fans that I can find, and no one has them...I think you're just gonna have to settle for regular blue lighted fans.

Btw the cat, mags, used to be a lot smaller...now it's huge!

Kitty all grown up now!

I heard way back that Antec had patented the blue LED in a fan (lame in my opinion). Might be why you had so much fun finding a 120 mm one.

/unresearched speculation

vtoe said:
Yay!!! My parts are starting to roll in one buy one. So by the end of the weekend I should be 90% finshed. Theres only two things holding me up. One is this perforated metal I want for the front of my case. I cant seem to find it cheaper then 80$ for a 1'x2' piece.

http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html The honeycomb is what most people have, but there's also round hole stuff that looks a lot like your link.

I have that same jigsaw... walmart cleaqrance, 14 bucks. best deal i ever got. wait, i have that case too.

Back