.:: ~ PROJECT: BLU ~ ::. pics, pics, pics

em00guy said:
Belive it or not there is some method this particular bit of madness. These blowers are increadibly well engineered producing almost no mechanical noise. It is a persintant theory in fluid dynamics that the pressure created by forcing air through the heater cores causes traditional fans to loose a great deal of performance due to poor tourqe. Because of the non existant mechanical noise i can run these high tourqe blowers at a very low rpm and still best the performace of several 120mm case fans.
But then it's no longer overkill :(

On a more serious note, it'll be interesting to see a comparison between your proposed setup and one with axial fans in terms of cooling performance :)

em00guy said:
Belive it or not there is some method this particular bit of madness. These blowers are increadibly well engineered producing almost no mechanical noise. It is a persintant theory in fluid dynamics that the pressure created by forcing air through the heater cores causes traditional fans to loose a great deal of performance due to poor tourqe. Because of the non existant mechanical noise i can run these high tourqe blowers at a very low rpm and still best the performace of several 120mm case fans.
Damn, youv'e really thought this all out. Good job.

Oh sweet jesus thank you. I leave for a month and em00guy pops back out of the woodwork. Glad that your alright and still working.

wow [H] is not a way to describe this... i dont think theres a word for it really... the best that comes to mind is wow... :D

em00guy said:
I also think id make a better fry cook than a scientist but that story is for another day.

You could probably make it as a comedian if that falls through.

BTW 2 more blowers mounted at the back would be way better. Or - 4 mounted at the bottom corners and used to hover your case would be hella tizyte. Add another perpendicular to those and it could spin your case... the possibilities are endless.

So, here is the source of my madness for the past few weeks. The touch switch circuit design is finally complete. As you can see the entire mechanism is consistent of two separate circuits. I’ll give a brief explanation of the forces at play here. The switch works by the principle of capacitance. The touchpad (which can be a any small metal object) has a certain capacity for electrical energy. When a finger is brought to rest upon the touch pad the capacitance of the touchpad is in creased by the capacitance of the part of the finger in contact with the touch pad. This interrupts a 50khz pulse being output by the clock circuit. This interruption triggers a set of nor gates that allows the pulses to be output. My design is a modified version of a circuit that operated an old electronic drum set. Only one clock is needed to feed pulses to a theoretical limitless number of switches, and each switch circuit will have two switches due to the nature of the integrated circuit used.

Here is the original circuit design:
http://www.paia.com/touchsw.htm
Clock circuit
touch_clock.gif

Switch circuit
touch_switch.gif

This will be my only update till my finals are over this week. Then I’ll Make the pcb and start testing the circuit.

Ok, I lied one more update. I’ve made a pair of circuit board layouts. In case your wondering. The digital self is my small freelance development firm, I’m hoping to start doing advance Computer science and mathematics research through it when I graduate.

Clock layout
touch_clock_brd.gif

Switch layout
touch_switch_brd.gif

Where can I get a cheap PWM controller? I have some Apple fans that don't appreciate voltage based speed regulation.

GodSpeed said:
Where can I get a cheap PWM controller? I have some Apple fans that don't appreciate voltage based speed regulation.

Are you looking for a circuit to build or an assembled pwm to buy?

em00guy said:
Are you looking for a circuit to build or an assembled pwm to buy?
Either way works actually, but I rather have a nice clean thing to work with.

All these circuits... I don't know what the HELL is going on here! :p

I hope it works because those 5 sensitive switchs will rull all!

It's so refreshing to see some circuit designs on the [H].
Keeping my eye on this one.. :)

I've been studying up on my electromagnetic field theory and have thusly modified my circuits with ground pours to suppress EMI. I've also condensed the boards a bit for a more compact design. Sorry this is taking so long. I've been waiting on my parts to arrive. They should be here in a day or two...then the fun starts...oh hell yes it does.

switch circuit:
touch_switch_brd2.gif

clock circuit:
touch_clock_brd2.gif

em00guy said:
Lets just say dual foot long heater cores (radiators) cooled by two 600 cfm blowers each the size of a small Australian orphan and a 600 gpm pump with 22’ (thats alot) of head.

umm, where did you get the blowers? website? if so link me please. Also where did you get the pump and heater cores?

crazyman_130 said:
umm, where did you get the blowers? website? if so link me please. Also where did you get the pump and heater cores?

I bought the fans from a small company that was selling them on ebay. I forgot the name though. I'll check into it. The fans are made by EBM. A german fan company.

here is the pump
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CP7111

the radiators are from a '77 pontiac bonneville. You can find them at autozone for about $20USD

em00guy said:
I bought the fans from a small company that was selling them on ebay. I forgot the name though. I'll check into it. The fans are made by EBM. A german fan company.

here is the pump
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CP7111

the radiators are from a '77 pontiac bonneville. You can find them at autozone for about $20USD

ok awesome, get back to me on the fans...nice pump there btw, little pricey...but for the crazy like me and you its deffintly not to much :)

crazyman_130 said:
ok awesome, get back to me on the fans...nice pump there btw, little pricey...but for the crazy like me and you its deffintly not to much :)

Ok, I got the blowers from a company called Quickar electronics that was selling them on ebay under the user name quickarelectronics. They were only $10 USD + shipping. However, they only sell them one at a time and i haven't seen any up in some time. You can also visit their website - www.quickar.com - and contact them to see if they could help you get a hold of them. Here is the data sheet on the blowers: http://www.ebmpapst.us/allpdfs/D1G133.PDF

The blowers are/were made by EBM which is now EBMpapst.

hope this helps

Ok good people, after a few weeks of madness and Jello I’ve completed prototyping the first stage of the touch switch. I’ve completed the discrete circuitry and it’s WORKING. When you touch a makeshift aluminum pad the input voltage of +5v is output, when you let go, the voltage dies. YESssss!!! All that’s left to do now is programming the microcontroller and creating pcb’s for the circuits. I’ll be ordering the parts for the controller and programmer after I move on Tuesday.

Wiring the timer. Sorry about the blurry pic, I was freebasing some cocaine to get me through the day.
DCP_1650.jpg

All done with the timer
DCP_1652.jpg

Finished wiring the switch circuit
DCP_1653.jpg

no pokie, no voltage
DCP_1676.jpg

pokie pokie, voltage voltage. Wohooo
DCP_1677.jpg

These are the new schematics that are slightly modified based on the wonderful circuitry I found on this website: http://jacksonharbor.home.att.net/touchsw2.htm I basically replaced the 680k resistors with 820k resistors and the 4700 ohm resistor with a 10k one. This basically increases the circuits ability to discharge the touchpad allowing me to use a much larger or more dense metal object

Clock
touch_clock2.gif

Switch
touch_switch2.gif

holy crap that's awesome. i may have to (try to) use that schematic... a touch-based power button would rock.

absolutely beautiful! :) i may consider doing something like this for my next desktop. very awesome. :cool:

Check this out... how cool would that be.

PC Modder custom case submissions
Hi em00,

I'm an editor for Sandhills Publishing, publishers of Computer Power User and PC Modder magazines. We're working on the next issue of PC Modder, and in one of our articles we're showcasing custom modded PCs. I've been looking through several modder forums for good possible submissions, and I came across your Blu mod. I was wondering if you'd be interested in submitting it for consideration for the article.

The creator of each case we include in the article will get a free 1 year sub to CPU magazine, and current subscribers will get a free 1 year extension to the subscription.

I'm looking for a 400 word description (or less) of the mod, plus the PC's specifications, plus a few photos. For specifications, we'd like the model of the mobo, CPU, RAM (and how much), video card (or "integrated"), hard drive(s), optical drive(s), and "other" (any water cooling, custom lights, additional fans, etc.). This isn't a requirement though. Just give us whatever info about the PC's specs that you can.

Let me know if this is something that would interest you, and if so, feel free to send the write-up and pictures to me. I'd like to have all the materials by the last week of June if possible. Let me know if that would work for you.

Thanks!

Regards,
Michael
Editor, PC

MadHatter said:
Wow :eek: how did u learn about all of this stuff?!
Actually, I haven't learned anything in school. Seriously! Everything i know i learned from breaking things and fixing them (and a few books). When your microwave smells funny, dismantel it. When you cant figure out how to put it together again, build a microwave ray gun. The human mind is capable of an unfathomable amount of cunning. If you challenge it you can figure anything out. I remember one time when i was in junior high I forgot to build my science fair project until the day before. So i duct taped two quaker oats containers together, stuck a series of magnifying glasses and a flashlight inside and made a laser (sort of). My project went all the way to the state competition. Don't think it's because im smart, I actually have terrible grades and I don't work very hard. I just discovered long ago to backhand your brain when it tells you it can't do something. That, and geeks are in now so brains have a positive effect on my standing pw00ntang quotient.

em00guy said:
Actually, I haven't learned anything in school. Seriously! Everything i know i learned from breaking things and fixing them (and a few books). When your microwave smells funny, dismantel it. When you cant figure out how to put it together again, build a microwave ray gun. The human mind is capable of an unfathomable amount of cunning. If you challenge it you can figure anything out. I remember one time when i was in junior high I forgot to build my science fair project until the day before. So i duct taped two quaker oats containers together, stuck a series of magnifying glasses and a flashlight inside and made a laser (sort of). My project went all the way to the state competition. Don't think it's because im smart, I actually have terrible grades and I don't work very hard. I just discovered long ago to backhand your brain when it tells you it can't do something. That, and geeks are in now so brains have a positive effect on my standing pw00ntang quotient.

I aspire to be you. :D

Back