Project: Aerodyne

subbed, as always to all your build threads!

What type of wood is that? Are you worried that it won't be strong enough to support the weight?

Looks like Balsa wood. I really like this too. I'm going to subscribe. Are use using a scroll saw or is it done by hand?
It's not balsa. More than likely, it's something like basswood. If constructed properly, it will have no problem handling the weight.

I'm guessing the pegs are where the cover will attach, correct? You're going to have a mold made and cast it in aluminum? That would be ridiculously awesome :)

I'm guessing the pegs are where the cover will attach, correct? You're going to have a mold made and cast it in aluminum? That would be ridiculously awesome :)
Cast aluminum. I was thinking the same exact thing! That would be sweet.

Very nice craftsmanship. Very very nice.

Damn you... I got some serious idea's stirring right now, and the wife is already tired of all this computer stuff.

Damn you... I got some serious idea's stirring right now, and the wife is already tired of all this computer stuff.

Send your wife over to my website at Jeffrey Stephenson Design or find me on Facebook. Chicks generally dig my work. If you are having trouble convincing her you need a flashy, noisy computer that looks like a Las Vegas reject then maybe she can get behind one of my designs. :p

Note to Kyle and moderators...nothing for sale so this was not an advertisement. :D

Hey slipperyskip, I've found a way to make cuts on a table saw without ripping up the edges of plywood.
1) set the blade to something less than the full thickness of the stock
2) run the stock *backwards* through the blade
3) set the blade depth to > thickness of the stock
4) run the stock through forwards

This way, the blade is always cutting into the wood, and never ripping out. I was inspired by a cabinet saw which had *two* blades--in addition to the normal spinning-towards-you blade, it had a smaller (5"?) blade closer to the front of the saw and in-line with the main blade, and this second blade spun away from the user.

It might be worth a try--if it works for you, it could save you boatloads of time. I wish I had discovered it a few pieces of furniture ago...

I'm really enjoying this build. It almost is starting to looks like a mini level 11 :)

OH! The eleven looks like a full size case. It's great work!

Oh I want to create a mATX build out of wood, but I lack the awesome tools needed like a band saw and scroll saw. If you are not using these tools, how the hell are you making these cuts? I know they don't make a mini-wood saw for the dremel!

Last edited:
OH! The eleven looks like a full size case. It's great work!

Oh I want to create a mATX build out of wood, but I lack the awesome tools needed like a band saw and scroll saw. If you are not using these tools, how the hell are you making these cuts? I know they don't make a mini-wood saw for the dremel!

I cut everything by hand using an X-acto razer saw. This is not a recommended method for people who value their time. :D

I cut everything by hand using an X-acto razer saw. This is not a recommended method for people who value their time. :D
Reminds me of my days making models in architecture studio. It's was very similar to this. Making intricate models from basswood using Xacto blades and Elmer's/Titebond. It takes FOREVER, but the time invested shows in the results.

Reminds me of my days making models in architecture studio. It's was very similar to this. Making intricate models from basswood using Xacto blades and Elmer's/Titebond. It takes FOREVER, but the time invested shows in the results.

I get my basswood and some of my plywood from a place in Gainesville, Florida that caters mainly to architectural students at the University of Florida. It's big business apparently.

I get my basswood and some of my plywood from a place in Gainesville, Florida that caters mainly to architectural students at the University of Florida. It's big business apparently.
You're absolutely correct. It's nothing to spend $100-200 per model, just on wood. It's crazy. Have you located a foundry yet? How long will the mold/cast process take?

I want to time warp into the future to see this thing get completed! I wonder where I can find basswood here in Wichita. Everyone is very industrial here, so finding an arts supply that stocks basswood is going to be a tough one. I have to order everyone on-line and get it shipped.

Oh, and I saw the 256GB number, and looked at the ram and I was like o_O ..... Then it clicked. That's the SSD dummy! :rolleyes:

And Cruical, thank you for giving me $47 per memory modual for my defective sticks! I love this company!

Work faster skip, whoopshh! FASTER! (looks awesome!)

I wonder where I can find basswood here in Wichita.

Midwest Products Where 2 Buy

EDIT: Isn't working for me at the moment. Midwest Products is the largest supplier of basswod. It is sold practically everywhere. I have purchased their stuff at office supply stores and hobby shops. I would send you to an art supply store but didn't you guys get rid of art in Kansas? I kid.

Last edited:
Back