Project: Aerodyne

Specs:
VIA Nano X2 dual core CPU at 1.4GHz
VIA VE-900 mainboard w/VX900 graphics
8GB Crucial DDR3 system memory
256GB Crucial M4 SSD
150W picoPSU power supply.

Alternative:
Intel Core i3-2105 CPU with HD3000 graphics.
Intel H67 mainboard
Scythe Kozuti HSF

Worth pointing out that this processor + graphics combination is a HECKUVA lot more powerful than I think some people expect. (The HD3000 is in the i3-2105 is twice as powerful as the HD2000 in the i3-2100...and, well, most of the other Sandy Bridge parts, actually)

I recently put together a system using that processor and using the integrated GPU...no problem playing Skyrim on it at 720p on our TV. 'Medium' quality, even - and that's before the whole 'Skyrim acceleration layer' DLL update (although, practically, I'd probably just leave it at 'medium' and let the DLL smooth out some of the framerate dips).

Still, you are getting something in the ballpark of Xbox360-levels of performance and graphics out of it, and that you'd be able to fix one of those mini-ITX systems into a case as badass as what you are showing, here?

Hot damn!

That looks absolutely awesome. Love the 1950s art deco style. You could patent that case and sell it. Seriously.

The higher-quality pictures make it look much, much better.

I have an old Canon S410 (that's what, 7 years old?) that takes much better pictures (sharper, clearer) than our much newer descendant. Dunno why, but that's the way it is.
My old camera just likes to take pictures at that distance and in the poor lighting I give it.

Wow, I love your wood work man. Very impressive. You're a master of your trade.

Yeah, no need for an optical. I haven't had on in my last 2 main rigs.

Keep up the fine work. If you ever decide to sell, let me know.
Thanks cmadki4!

great work, love art deco style and your work just speaks to me.
Thanks. Apparently some of us art deco people haven't been replaced by mid century modern people yet. :)

Looks like Honduran mahogany, yes?
Maybe. It is labeled Swietenia Mahogany.

Worth pointing out that this processor + graphics combination is a HECKUVA lot more powerful than I think some people expect. (The HD3000 is in the i3-2105 is twice as powerful as the HD2000 in the i3-2100...and, well, most of the other Sandy Bridge parts, actually)

I recently put together a system using that processor and using the integrated GPU...no problem playing Skyrim on it at 720p on our TV. 'Medium' quality, even - and that's before the whole 'Skyrim acceleration layer' DLL update (although, practically, I'd probably just leave it at 'medium' and let the DLL smooth out some of the framerate dips).

Still, you are getting something in the ballpark of Xbox360-levels of performance and graphics out of it, and that you'd be able to fix one of those mini-ITX systems into a case as badass as what you are showing, here?

Hot damn!
Thanks. I wanted to put the best graphics in the smallest space possible. Haven't had much time to play with it but it seems to be better than any other "small" solution I've tried before.

That is just all kinds of sexy. Awesome job!
Thanks!

Awesome craftsmanship! Hats off to you sir.
Thank you Ultima99. I appreciate your comment.

Looks amazing. Couldn't help but think the airflow must be amazing .
And there is the first mention of cooling and airflow from anyone, anywhere. Odd...I think. Form follows function but function rarely gets its due in my projects. Thank you very much for noticing!

That looks absolutely awesome. Love the 1950s art deco style. You could patent that case and sell it. Seriously.
Thanks. I'm afraid I would be the computer Nazi. "No computer for you!". I would have to sell them as art and ignore the fact they have a functioning computer in them. The first 3AM tech support call would find me driving to their house and taking it away from them. "No computer for you!"

I want one and so does the wife.
Amazing craftsmanship and your creativity is inspiring.

Not sure how I missed this thread! Love it, as usual Skip. The logo reminds me of a locomotive, and love the streamlined grill. I like the organic curves of this over Level 11 when seen side by side. Congrats on yet another amazing hand crafted masterpiece!

look sgreat..

out of curiosity have you ever thought of doing a wooden IO plate?

Wow... that just looks great! Where do I click to order one ;)
Thanks. Order one by going to my website and click on a few Google ads. lol

I want one and so does the wife.
Amazing craftsmanship and your creativity is inspiring.
Thank you.

You sure you don't want to sell? :D j/k
Thanks but I wouldn't ever sell a prototype.

Not sure how I missed this thread! Love it, as usual Skip. The logo reminds me of a locomotive, and love the streamlined grill. I like the organic curves of this over Level 11 when seen side by side. Congrats on yet another amazing hand crafted masterpiece!
Thanks! Missed ya buddy! Glad you showed up though. Better than L11? Not so sure about that but I'm a lousy judge of my work.

That's really quite fantastic.
Thank you baldrik. Loved your work on Black Adder.

look sgreat..

out of curiosity have you ever thought of doing a wooden IO plate?
Thanks. I have done I/O shields in aluminum because I had to. I prefer to have an upgrade path. I have already tried out 4 different mini-ITX boards. You would think I designed this thing for production. Hmmm

250px-SimCity_Classic_cover_art.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...r_art.jpg/250px-SimCity_Classic_cover_art.jpg

This is my seventh time on Engadget and I have gotten use to the abuse. :) I wear it as a badge of honor. The best douchebaggery by far is on Boing Boing. There is some discussion on how ugly the back of my computer is. It bothered me at first until I realized that these people didn't know what an I/O shield was. I'm guessing Apple doesn't use them because there is no reason to.

I built Aerodyne to accept most any available mini-ITX board and that means dealing with I/O shields of various ugliness. To me, they have a certain functional beauty because they add so much flexibility to an enclosure. I can see painting one black to match a black case but anything other than that seems like a waste of time.

This is my seventh time on Engadget and I have gotten use to the abuse. :) I wear it as a badge of honor. The best douchebaggery by far is on Boing Boing. There is some discussion on how ugly the back of my computer is. It bothered me at first until I realized that these people didn't know what an I/O shield was. I'm guessing Apple doesn't use them because there is no reason to.

I built Aerodyne to accept most any available mini-ITX board and that means dealing with I/O shields of various ugliness. To me, they have a certain functional beauty because they add so much flexibility to an enclosure. I can see painting one black to match a black case but anything other than that seems like a waste of time.

Okay, reading that part about Boing Boing makes me laugh.

Dude, I wouldnt listen to them anway, the case is fantastic ;)

Your new case is a work of art. How much looking at the back of a case do many people do on a normal basis? I/O shields are what they are. Mac uses have to just use what they are forced to use while your case has the ability to upgrade while still looking like the one off piece of art that it is. The probable fact is they are just jealous they don have that talent to begin with.

Yeah ... read boing boing :( was frowning all the way. If i had a htpc , i'd want a case like yours.
Makes we want to take a powertool to some wood and do my own case. :D
Would probably look like a crappy bird house ... :p

I love the case, I love the wood work... I really like everything about it... Dont even care about the i/o plate. However, I do see where they are coming from.... Beautiful mahogany, great looking alu accents... Bright fucking chrome o/i plate.... not trying to hate, just saying that the i/o plate dose look a tad out of place.

I know it means more work but how hard would it be to replicate the i/o plate from the same mesh used to make the the side panel?

Barring that, making it look like the rest of the alu. a quick scuff with a abrasive wheel and a shot of paint.

As is said... its not like you see it while the machine is in its functional position. just wanted to put the ideas out there, if you wanted to take the extra time... I honestly dont know that I would do it my self... lol

The I/O plate in my current photos is the VIA piece. I currently have a Foxconn I/O plate installed and in a few days I'll be trying out an Intel part. We seem to be on a different page with this topic.

To me the back plate thing is moot , since it'll facing the rear , hence won't be visible.

Heck you could argue that there'd be tons of wires coming out the back once its pluged.

Well as long as the wires aren't hanging and tipping the thing backwards or sideways ... i think it's all good :p

FWIW, the Ivy Bridge chips that should be appearing soon (?next month?) should see lower power consumption than the Sandy Bridge part you are currently working with, and also a considerably more powerful integrated GPU.

Should be (assuming Foxconn keeps up with their BIOS updates) drop-in compatible to your current chip, too. If thinking of producing a number of these, I'd imagine that'd be the part you'd want to use.

FWIW, the Ivy Bridge chips that should be appearing soon (?next month?) should see lower power consumption than the Sandy Bridge part you are currently working with, and also a considerably more powerful integrated GPU.

Should be (assuming Foxconn keeps up with their BIOS updates) drop-in compatible to your current chip, too. If thinking of producing a number of these, I'd imagine that'd be the part you'd want to use.

Might even happen at CES next week. ;) Who knows?

Loved the design and the execution. I'm encouraged to try something like this.
I have two questions:
1. How did you create the aluminum pieces?
2. I read that you bend the veneer around the edges? How did you cover both sides
that way?

I just realized the similarities of the bent-aluminum-looking grill to my Western Digital USB hard drive. I like yours better :)

Shield your eyes from the ugliness...

148.jpg

See, now I like that a whole ton better than the chrome piece, granted, its a plastic face, but the plastic fits better with the alu look, at least in the pictures it dose.

Back