Project... 1 TB WD Green Clock

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
for Xmas i like to either make gifts or buy something useful, funny and that applies to the gift receiver..... my friend is a nerd like me and i know that he would appreciate something such as a HDD clock.
thanks to Warrior for donating the broken hard drive and contacting me really quick about it! I was especially looking for a recent HDD to make it even more nerdy... i have several HDD clocks made out of 20 - 40gb drives.... but never a 1 TB drive! lol
the internals have stayed the same essentially. some of the metals have changed and I had initial issues with drilling through the core. so i had to buy a new drill bit... after that it was cake.
so heres the log with pics. this whole project can be achieved in about 1 - 2 hrs TOPS. i stretched over a 4 day period? just cuz i am lazy and had time :p

the HDD in question... to open it torx 10
IMG_2054-1.jpg

Lid off.. try to keep your fingers off the platters as much as possible :p
IMG_2055.jpg

Platters removed.... now take a hole punch or a nail and slam the middle of the spindle.... the center is a pin that allows you to take the spindle off the drive and drill easily.
IMG_2057.jpg

These are all the parts you should have once you take apart your HDD.

IMG_2064.jpg

once you start hitting it, a hit or 2 and the golden metal seal on the back will begin to crack... 4 - 5 hits and itll pop right out!
IMG_2058.jpg

now, get a drill bit that corresponds to the size of the quartz movement shaft that will go into the hole.... mine movement shaft was 3/8ths, so.....

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

as mentioned previously, i used a high end metal drilling bit that was able to penetrate a portion of the spindle, so off to home depot for another drill bit, and this chewed through it in a few seconds
tall one is the new bit that i bought, shorter is the one I had from my other HDD clock projects.

IMG_2065.jpg

Previously, I made stands for my HDD clocks out of plexi, but this time I had the lid in tact, so if you have a vice at home, tahts your best friend, I didnt :p so i placed it under my bed and bent it that way, works really well, the lid is really soft.

IMG_2067.jpg

I should have taken a picture of where i drilled the holes in the lid to attach it to the back of the HDD, but whoops :(

the motor is attached with some epoxy, really simple...

IMG_2075.jpg

clock hands attached and DONE.

IMG_2071.jpg

if you are going to do this... but the LONGEST shaft possible, the longest Ive ever found was 1.25 Inches long i believe. i its any shorter and you will run into issues.
http://www.bearwood.com/CLOCKMOVEMENT-MINI.HTML
the prices of movements fluctuate by 1 dollar here and there. i buy mine off ebay generally.

so thats it. enjoy, I hope someone turns a dead HDD into a clock... and if you are too lazy or whatever, they sell on etsy!

originally, i bought my first HDD clock off etsy, when it arrived, it looked super simple, so i took it apart and figured out how that person made it.... this was 4th HDD clock

Awesome write up my friend. Glad my drive went to good use. :)

R.I.P. WD Green

its funny I just came across this post but no more then a month ago I found some pics of another persons and decided to give it a try, havent done it yet but this is what I found.

crGBJ.jpg

21n1D.jpg

what website did you see the red and silver HD Clock on?
I have been opening old hard drive this year to destroy them. This is a great DIY project.

That taller bit is meant for masonry. The shaft is even designed for a hammer drill. How well did that work going through metal?

The OP's hard drive clock is very cool and it's "green" too. :D

So if you added different time zones with different hands for each zone, would you essentially be over-clocking the hard drive? :p

what website did you see the red and silver HD Clock on?
I have been opening old hard drive this year to destroy them. This is a great DIY project.

honestly dont know just felt the need to save it when I came across it :D

That's awesome! I'm totally going to try this to get me back in the garage tinkering with things!

That taller bit is meant for masonry. The shaft is even designed for a hammer drill. How well did that work going through metal?

worked like a charm, i popped it in, 1 min later i was DONEEEEEE

I finished this clock some time ago using hard drive arms as the clock hands. I used the arm from a laptop drive for the smaller hand. The smaller hand was placed on top so it wasn't always hidden beneath the big hand, however that made big arm the hour hand and the small arm the minute hand. I'm used to it now. Had to open up the clock mechanism to find a way to extend the movements in order to attach the hands. Works great.
p1010015_2.jpg

p1010013_2.jpg

p1010010_2.jpg

I finished this clock some time ago using hard drive arms as the clock hands. I used the arm from a laptop drive for the smaller hand. The smaller hand was placed on top so it wasn't always hidden beneath the big hand, however that made big arm the hour hand and the small arm the minute hand. I'm used to it now. Had to open up the clock mechanism to find a way to extend the movements in order to attach the hands. Works great.
http://www.betafx.com/images/clock/p1010015_2.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.betafx.com/images/clock/p1010013_2.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://www.betafx.com/images/clock/p1010010_2.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

great job, what movement did you use...also any writeup on how you did the hands the way you did?

Mine turned out great. Thanks for the how-to. I went to my local Hobby Lobby for the movement, which was for "3/4" thick clock faces" and also grabbed some nice black hands.

clock.JPG

Back