Programs to stop Win 10 version updates

vortexware

Weaksauce
Can anybody recommend me some programs that will let you stop Win 10 versions updates, lets say from 1709 to 1803 to 1809 etc, Win 7 had this amazing options to let you choose if you wanted to download any update or even install them, Win 10 seems to love pushing updates if you want it or not, currently trying to make sure none of my rigs update to 1909 since there are a pissload of issues, thank you in advance

That's so weird I waited for 1909 to even bother with W10. Glad I did as it's been flawless for me.

My main gaming rig has no issue with 1909 but my secondary rig absolutely hates 1909 as it constant BSOD, i am running version 1803 and no issues at all

I am thinking of doing this, what are the ups and downs of using a metered connection, will it affect my download speeds in Steam, BNET etc?

"
Prevent Automatic Downloading of Updates on a Specific Connection

RELATED: What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10

When you set a connection as “metered,” Windows 10 won’t automatically download updates on it. Windows 10 will automatically set certain types of connections — cellular data connections, for example — as metered. However, you can set any connection like as a metered connection.

So, if you don’t want Windows 10 automatically downloading updates on your home network connection, just set it as a metered connection. Windows 10 will automatically download updates when you connect your device to an unmetered network, or when you set the network it’s connected to as unmetered again. And yes, Windows will remember this setting for each individual network, so you can disconnect from that network and reconnect all you like.

I just want to have control over updates

I have already read most of those, they are good, but i want to know about metered connections, if all it does it give me an option to manually download and install updates, im all in, please read above

I smell anger in them dar hills, so please relax, the tool works but after testing a pissload of stuff today, setting the ethernet and wifi to "metered" has given me the option to see what updates are pending and hide them with the tool you posted, so this is working out great since i have full control over updates now, like in Win 7, hip hip huuuray

I smell anger in them dar hills, so please relax, the tool works but after testing a pissload of stuff today, setting the ethernet and wifi to "metered" has given me the option to see what updates are pending and hide them with the tool you posted, so this is working out great since i have full control over updates now, like in Win 7, hip hip huuuray

Go in your bios on that rig and add a a little voltage to the ram. See if that helps.

Actually no I've seen this before on my own machines going back decades literally. For instance on ram with rated voltage of 1.5v ... 1.55 or 1.6 could be the difference in stability. Could also be vdroop but probably not. Did u build this machine in question ? Have you tested the components ?

At this point it seems all your posts are trollish

I built ALL my machines and severely tested all of them, this issue with one of my rigs ONLY happensin version 1909, i am running 1803 atm with no issues at all, i am going to wait till 2004 releases to see if that fixes the bsod issues, but i have a saying: dont fix something that dont need fixing, i loved Win 7, never have i ever had an issue running it

well, if you are on windows 10 pro you can just disable automatic updates in the group policy management, (hit windowskey + R on your keyboard and type gpedit.msc, or search for it in start menu)

once inside, computer configuration -> administrative templates -> windows components -> windows update -> doubleclick "configure automatic updates" and select "disabled" out of the 3 options ( disabled / not configured / enabled )
then reboot and its done,

gpedit-windows-update-settings.jpg

and thats it, doesn't brick windows update and you can still update manually if you ever want to, and no need for third party tools or registry tweaks or whatever,
its also a nice thing when you want to run 1709 or other older builds.

I open the windows update service in services.msc and then tell it to logon as guest (with guest disabled) when it fails. Then I tell it to restart the service and boom, solved.

All of this is just temporary until Microsoft patches it. It might be a good idea to troubleshoot the issues you are having instead of dancing around them. Your BSOD is extremely likely to be a driver issue. I'd start there, especially for things you don't think about like keyboard software, microphone drivers, or webcam drivers.

All of this is just temporary until Microsoft patches it. It might be a good idea to troubleshoot the issues you are having instead of dancing around them. Your BSOD is extremely likely to be a driver issue. I'd start there, especially for things you don't think about like keyboard software, microphone drivers, or webcam drivers.

My suggestion above is not one that Microsoft can circumvent. It has been working since the 2nd release, years ago. Some suggestions, like the policy editor have been known to automatically enable or change settings reference to the Windows Update service, but since my suggestion doesn't disable it, MS doesn't try and change its settings. It is technically there and able to have a start command sent, it just fails.

I wouldn't pull my hair out looking for a driver. Especially on todays pc's with a thousand peripherals all with their own drivers. Who knows where to even look. My Windows 10 install had a similar issue and I just followed the above advice and happy sailing. To give a reference, my install is older than when they added gpu utilization to the task manager.

Back