• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Programming, heavy multitasking and some gaming "sweet spot"

zenblu

n00b
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
41
Hi and thank you for taking the time to visit and/or leave a comment!
I'd very much appreciate your comments on my new build. I am aiming at the sweet spot, but I don't want to skimp and I am ready to put more money where it would count. I'd appreciate ides both where to beef up this build more, as well as where to find some savings.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Main system: Linux 64bit. Windows 7 64bit for gaming only.

Mainly for: programming, very heavy multitasking (e.g. huge number of tabs in browsers, multiple programs in the background, multi-core compliations of large programs, disk-heavy large code repositories, etc.), some gaming, multimedia and some graphics design (both 2d and 3d), TV.


No more than 20% of the time will be spent for gaming, but when I game, I still want it to be smooth.


What counts the most is CPU power, memory and disk throughtput. Graphics are not the main focus here, but are have to be reasonably good nevertheless.

​
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Up to about $2k, with tax. Would be nice if I could make it less than that, but I don't want to skimp too much.
​
3) Where do you live?
California
​
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
Everything but a sound card (I have a Xonar D2X) and a display (24'' 1920x1200).

I.e.: CPU, memory, motherboard, graphics card, disk(s), optical drive, case, power supply, speakers, mouse, keyboard, TV tuner card (I have Comcast).

Hopefully not forgetting anything (am I?).

​
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
As mentioned above, sound card and display.
​
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
​
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24'' 1920x1200. Will maybe get a second one in the future.
​
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a week.
​
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Want hardware RAID 1. Firewire not required, no need for SLI/Crossfire, USB 3.0 would be nice, same for SATA 6Gb/s. I'd really like dual LAN. A COM port would be very welcome.
​
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. Main system Linux 64bit, Windows 7 64bit for gaming.


​
Right now my lineup is as follows:


- Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7870 $279.99
Probably the sweetest spot, was thinking of something even higher, but I don't think I can do much better without spending much more. Was considering socket 1366-based CPUs for a while though...
​
- ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $179.99
I am not entirely happy with this choice. I see no need of having LSI-ready mobo. I'd really like dual LAN and some COM port(s). Hardware RAID needed. USB3 and SATA 6Gb/s very welcome. Now I think that even P7P55D-E LX would cover most of thouse, as would P7P55D-E. Not any of them have everything I want though. I tried looking for a Gigabyte mobo, but their website is just horrible... Would appreciate suggestions here.
​
- Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996826 $114.99
This was a tough choice. Still not sure about it. I want GOOD memory and I am ready to invest a bit more into it. I thought that the timings on these were pretty good (6-8-6-24) though. Any other suggestions please?
Also, I'm thinking of throwing in more memory, maybe 6-8GB? The mobo has 4 slots, so maybe 3/4x2GB? Will 3x2GB even work?

​
- EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $259.99
Was considering a 460 FTW as well, still thinking about it actually. Choosing 470 for now, since even though 460FTW is almost as good, that $20 will fetch me a better card still. I want this card to last and I don't want SLI.
I'd prefer a Radeon (6870) for its superior energy efficiency, which is quite important for me, but it has worse Linux support. 460's main advantage over 470 is power as well, but at least in idle their power consumption is almost the same.

​
- Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $134.99
The best performing SSD, at least out of those that go for a reasonable price. Was considering Vertex 2 as well.
​
- 2x (RAID 1) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $179.98 ($89.99 each)
Need well-performing and reliable storage for pictures, private data, etc.
​
- LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $99.99
Considered CM690 II Advanced and HAF 922 as well. I prefer more subdued designs, don't need a side window, but of course most valued are: functionality, easy access/installation, cable management and good cooling.
​
- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC $89.99
Not sure if 650W will be enough, but it should be...
​
- Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black) $149.99
Also considering M-AUDIO AV 40 for their superior music quality. A tough choice, but this build will be used mostly for movies, TV and games as well, so...
​
- Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Gaming Mouse $44.99
I don't want anything fancy, I don't really need a gaming mouse. I want a comfortable, reliable mouse for a reasonable price. I am already thinking that $45 might be a bit more than enough.
​
- Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 $41.99


Total: $1,574.89


Still no idea for:

- Optical drive.
Most probably a DVD burner. Not convinced I need a blu ray burner yet.
​
- TV tuner card.
Has to be compatible with Comcast cable and work well on Linux.
​
I'll be most probably buying from Amazon, to avoid Newegg's tax for CA.

Any comments and suggestion greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
 
Last edited:
For your multitasking needs, pick up 8GB (a 2x4GB kit or two 4GB DIMMs) of DDR3 1333 CL9 memory. Since you're not overclocking, don't pay more for lower latency (e.g., CL7) or faster (DDR3 1600) memory; outside of synthetic benchmarks, you wouldn't notice the performance difference.

Since you're unwilling to go the SLI route, the GTX 470 is probably the best option for you. I can't tell you whether or not ATI improved the Linux drivers on the Radeon cards to justify choosing one of them instead.

Out of your speaker options, I'd choose the M-Audio AV40 over the Klipsch Promedia 2.1.

The Corsair TX650 is more than enough power for your immediate needs, but there are other good power supplies available for the same price. I'll try to find one later, when I have time to look around Amazon.
 
Go with this CPU+ mobo combo:
$410 - Intel Core i7 860 CPU + Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo

The only difference between the -E version and the -E Pro version is SLI support. That's it. So since SLI is not something worth paying extra for you, then get the above mobo combo. Also note that not a single consumer grade motherboard will have a true hardware RAID controller. With that said, the software RAID or fakeRAID controller on most consumer motherboards will be more than enough for RAID 1.

Following up on tiraides' RAM recommendation, go with this RAM set:
$125 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

$10 more as your current choice but you get twice as much RAM. You're not overclocking so no need for DDR3 1600 RAM nor will the higher speed RAM or lower latency affect performance that much.

Stick with Nvidia for the GPU: Apparently AMD's Linux drivers broke something in the last update.

Ditch those hard drives as well: These Samsung drives are significantly faster:
$75 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
 
Thanks for your responses!

For your multitasking needs, pick up 8GB (a 2x4GB kit or two 4GB DIMMs) of DDR3 1333 CL9 memory. Since you're not overclocking, don't pay more for lower latency (e.g., CL7) or faster (DDR3 1600) memory; outside of synthetic benchmarks, you wouldn't notice the performance difference.

Hm... I admit I don't know much about timings and speeds, but I feel kind of uncomfortable getting the cheapest memory, I don't want it to be a bottleneck. Found this article on Tom's Hardware. They recommend getting at least CL8...

Since you're unwilling to go the SLI route, the GTX 470 is probably the best option for you. I can't tell you whether or not ATI improved the Linux drivers on the Radeon cards to justify choosing one of them instead.

Power consumption of SLI systems just seems ridiculous to me.

Out of your speaker options, I'd choose the M-Audio AV40 over the Klipsch Promedia 2.1.

I originally wanted to get M-Audios. I prefer monitors and don't listen to "heavier" music, bass is not that important to me. That said, I do watch movies and play games and my concern is that M-Audios might come out too weak in this, not having a sub...

The Corsair TX650 is more than enough power for your immediate needs, but there are other good power supplies available for the same price. I'll try to find one later, when I have time to look around Amazon.

Thanks.

Go with this CPU+ mobo combo:
$410 - Intel Core i7 860 CPU + Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 ATX Motherboard Combo

The only difference between the -E version and the -E Pro version is SLI support. That's it. So since SLI is not something worth paying extra for you, then get the above mobo combo. Also note that not a single consumer grade motherboard will have a true hardware RAID controller. With that said, the software RAID or fakeRAID controller on most consumer motherboards will be more than enough for RAID 1.

Yeah, I agree. I was wondering if there was something interesting from Gigabyte, I'd really like to have dual LAN, but they lost me after 2 minutes on their unusable website.

Following up on tiraides' RAM recommendation, go with this RAM set:
$125 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

$10 more as your current choice but you get twice as much RAM. You're not overclocking so no need for DDR3 1600 RAM nor will the higher speed RAM or lower latency affect performance that much.

Found these Mushkins with the same parameters as those GSkills you recommended for the same price. I see most people opting for GSkills though, are they better?

I'm considering these 7-7-7-21 GSkills as well.

Ditch those hard drives as well: These Samsung drives are significantly faster:
$75 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I never really trusted Samsung's quality, especially with such crucial parts as hard drives. But maybe it's time to give them a chance...



Any recommendations for an optical drive please?

As for the tuner card, I'll probably go with this Hauppage 1600. Seems like the one best supported under Linux.
What I really need actually is a way to connect my Comcast box to either my PC or even just directly to my LCD display. The Comcast box has a coaxial and composite video outputs, LCD has standard VGA, DVI, HDMI and component inputs.


By the way, do you have any comments for my SSD choice? I see that Vertex 2 is widely recommended here, but C300 is better I think, isn't it? How would they compare to this Intel X25-M?

And finally, should I consider a non-stock heatsink+fan?
 
Last edited:
Get a new cable box -- I know Comcast offers boxes with HDMI and component outputs. Then you can avoid the tuner card entirely and just connect the box via HDMI / component to your display. There's no reason to over-complicate things that much.
 
Again, ignore the CAS latency and other RAM timings; you won't notice the "performance" difference. CL9 RAM performs well enough for your needs.

Any inexpensive (under $30) optical drive will work for your needs. LG and Samsung are often recommended as they make good, inexpensive drives. Get a SATA DVD burner; there's no need to "downgrade" to a DVD-ROM or an IDE drive.

You should only consider a third-part CPU cooler if you're trying to obtain quieter performance or better cooling (especially while overclocking). For your needs, however, it's not necessary.

From what I've read, though I'm no expert on SSDs in general, the Intel X25-M and OCZ Vertex 2 are two of the best around. I don't know enough about the Corsair C300 to recommend it over the two aforementioned SSDs.

Go with silent-circuit's suggestion and call Comcast for a box with HDMI or component outputs if you don't have one already.
 
From what I've read, though I'm no expert on SSDs in general, the Intel X25-M and OCZ Vertex 2 are two of the best around. I don't know enough about the Corsair C300 to recommend it over the two aforementioned SSDs.

I think its Crucial C300s and Corsair F series.
 
Hm... I admit I don't know much about timings and speeds, but I feel kind of uncomfortable getting the cheapest memory, I don't want it to be a bottleneck. Found this article on Tom's Hardware. They recommend getting at least CL8...
It's a Tom's article. I wouldn't put much weight into it if I were you.

Yeah, I agree. I was wondering if there was something interesting from Gigabyte, I'd really like to have dual LAN, but they lost me after 2 minutes on their unusable website.

Yeah I just use Newegg's Advanced Search to look up motherboards. Anyway, for socket LGA 1156, Gigabyte is a bit of a bad choice if you want USB 3.0 and SATA 6.Gb/s without either canceling each other out or being disabled somehow. Basically, that's the main reason why I tend to avoid Gigabyte mobos for socket LGA 1156 if there's a requirement for USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s when I can. Gigabyte mobos for AMD AM3 and Intel 1336 are still pretty god though.

Anyway, most of the socket LGA 1156 motherboards with dual lan, SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 are overpriced. You're better off just getting a second NIC by yourself. Intel makese some of the best and fastest NICs out there:
$30 - Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/100/1000Mbps PRO/1000 GT PCI-E x1 NIC OEM w/ 1 x RJ45

Found these Mushkins with the same parameters as those GSkills you recommended for the same price. I see most people opting for GSkills though, are they better?

I'm considering these 7-7-7-21 GSkills as well.
As tirades has said, don't bother with lower latency RAM. They do not provide any sort of real world performance increase.

We tend to recommend G.Skill since they usually have the better price to performance ratio and personal experience with them: I've had nothing but good luck with the G.Skill sets I've used as well as recommended. Mushkin is not bad but no experience with them combined with their usually higher prices makes them not-so well recommended.
 
Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

I got rid of the PRO motherboard in favor of standard -E. There is also an LX version - P7P55D-E LX, which is $20 cheaper than regular -E and I think it only lacks (unless I'm missing something) Firewire and CrossFire support, both of which are not important for me.

I guess I'll listen to you and go with CL9 memory. It's a pity Amazon does not carry those 2x4GB G.Skills, I will have to buy them off Newegg.

I'll get the Spinpoint F3 as well.

Amazon begins to annoy me by the way, their search is appaling. It's hard to identify items. F3 for example, an extremely popular product is not sold by them, only by two third party vendors, who charge quite a bit for shipping. Unless this is actually an F3, although there is no mention of "F3" anywhere. Only the model number (HD103SJ) matches the one on Newegg, but the price is lower (66.50 vs 74.99 on Newegg), which is a big difference... No idea what to do with this... EDIT: Oh, so now I noticed in the "Customers who viewed this item also viewed" section a mention of another F3, here, which didn't show up when I searched for spinpoint f3. But it doesn't say what it size is! The only indicator is the product image, which says 1TB. No comment...
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think both are the same drives, I'll go with the one you linked to though, looks more trustworthy.
 
Back
Top