Professional Driver Takes Gamers For A Real Ride

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is nothing funnier than seeing the look on someone’s face when they go from driving fast cars in a video game to the real thing. That is exactly what happened to a handful of gamers at the Dirt 2 launch and the results are comedy gold. Thanks to Brad Risch for the linkage on this one!

I particularly like the guy at the beginning whose helmet doesn't fit quite right and he winds up looking like a bobblehead :).

Great link :)

As a notice.

I'd be the only gamer there that didnt scream like a girl :p
I've been in a rally car, and im not telling you that i would not be pumped up, Rally goes over nascar ANYday. ( sorry fans)
I've been in a car in 300km/h.
I've been in a rally car at 180, and that feels 3 times as fast.... and frightening, its just mindblowing, those guys and girls are damn lucky to be with ken block, one of the best freestyle drivers, and actually not far behind loeb and scandinavian rally drivers!

rofl that one guy looked like he shat his pants many many times.

This video made me laugh so damn hard, each time I watched it!

I love to do this to my friends that ride in my car....NEVER thought of using a dashcam to capture the looks on their faces though.

Dashcam FTW!

:D

Heh that's funny. I'm a military instructor pilot and we have to be careful not to make our students do that early on in our training. We ease them into the business so they don't freak out. Funny video, complete sensory overload for most of the riders.

I'd love to try that. I'd probably be scared as well, but in a good way ^^

Eventhough I do race from time to time, I still can't feel at ease to be a passenger when someone else is driving eventhough the speed is no where near the speed that I normally do myself.

Eventhough I do race from time to time, I still can't feel at ease to be a passenger when someone else is driving eventhough the speed is no where near the speed that I normally do myself.

Agreed. It feels much different doing it yourself. I do the whole dirtbike thing and when you are riding by yourself, no matter how hard you push there is no fear until you realize something is going terribly wrong and you are in for a world of hurt. I haven't ridden on the back of one since I am straight but I imagine it would be very scary. The lack of control and not knowing what the other person is planning is what makes it scary.

Ken Block would have totally shit if one of those girls started navigating during the ride:

"hard right into a long straightaway, medium left over bump, hairpin right, caution right over crest..."

Reminds me of what's going on with Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

A friend's son is the local Guitar Hero champ, but I blew him away when I picked up a real guitar and played it. I looked at him square in the eye and said, "Imagine what you could do if you had spent all that time actually learning to play! Besides, I'll still be playing when the electricty goes off..."

rallyfreakoutwblock.jpg

<Amazingly funny pic>

You nailed it! That's the guy that looked like his heart was about to come out of his chest! LOL!

As a notice.

I'd be the only gamer there that didnt scream like a girl :p
I've been in a rally car, and im not telling you that i would not be pumped up, Rally goes over nascar ANYday. ( sorry fans)
I've been in a car in 300km/h.
I've been in a rally car at 180, and that feels 3 times as fast.... and frightening, its just mindblowing

QFT, I've been in a Suzuki GSX-R 1100 @ 140mph back when I was 13-14 or so and I was like OMFG!!!!!! :eek: SCARY AS F***! But I kept it together and I didn't screamed like a girl the whole way so that makes us 2 =D

That looks sick as hell. I bet the g forces in that car are pretty incredible. Good thing you're strapped in haha.

Cool find. Course when I was watching it, the thought that came to my head is : oh come on, even James May made it through a session with Ken Block without screaming... (and if he had screamed, you /know/ it would have been brought up during the Top Gear studio filming). I also see this film being brought up when Ken shows up at the Top Gear test track in November / December. I can almost hear Jeremy now: "So I hear you made a bunch of tweens scream at Silverston. Now, can you make somebody whose had their teeth whitened scream?"

Wasn't that the same rally driver from Top Gear Season 13? They had one of the top gear guys ride with him, and he freaked out too, and that guy drives high powered sports cars around a track very often.

Also, it's very serious when you bring a pretty girl into a real car with a real Rally driver.

Hehe.. loks like none of those people had ever riden in a fast car offroad before.... or on the road for that matter.

I used to give my friends "shell shock" as they called it when they rode with me in my '76 280z 2+2.

Crazy how good that car handled and how quick it went for being mostly "stock"

Can't wait to get my '77 280z 2-seater fixed up so I can have lotsa fun again.... and it is not going o be "stock". :D

I have been in one car that has enough power to seriuosly scare me though.... a friend of mine has an El Camino with a race-built 350 with a huge blower on it. They had to go with dual 4" exhaust cause the dual 3" exhaust was putting too much back pressure and blowing the gasket for the blower.

That car is super crazy fast.... at least 600hp to the wheels... and all that is required to up it to 800+ is to change the pully on the blower.

Hands down, that video is badass and a definite keeper.

I could feel my blood pressure elevate just watching it some of the stuff looked so intense.

Amen to that guy, that was awesome for the fans, and cool as hell to watch

They had to go with dual 4" exhaust cause the dual 3" exhaust was putting too much back pressure and blowing the gasket for the blower.

umm pressure.relief.valve

sounds like a catalog build instead of a professional flow design...

Lol 2:30 the nerd with the funny glasses!!!

Otherwise that looks like fun! Wish I was there...

umm pressure.relief.valve

sounds like a catalog build instead of a professional flow design...

I suppose they could have used a pressure relief valve.. but then they wouldn't have been able to run as much boost and it woun't have taken care of the underlying issue which was too much back pressure in the exhaust system.

Definitely not a catalog build at least not the block and the exaust... engine was built by a guy who builds stuff like that for a living.... has some crazy fast cars in his yard... one or two that are built specifically to drag race.

Reminds me of when I was at Bragg and MTV came out to do a documentary on us. Our company commander thought it'd be cool to take the reporters through the pre-Ranger obstacle course (which is designed to teach soldiers to control fear under pressure). ...after they called a quick end to their day, they didn't come back to film until they confirmed we were out in the field.

Back