Product Suggestion? Point to Point 750 Feet

tedo2007

n00b
Building A gets the internet, will house the pfsense box, and has about 8 clients using the network (very little outside connectivity, they have a nas with cad drawings and other important files

The hardware in building A goes Modem, pfsense, which then goes to WRT54g with a directional antenna on the roof

Building B, gets connection via an antenna on the roof, into a WAP54g. At that point about 4 people use the connection here. Pull files off nas, and internet for looking things up.

Id like to replace the WRT54G, and the WAP54g with 802.11ac if possible, if not possible yet than 802.11n would be fine.

Ideally it would be one of the simple network POE bridge deals where the network cable goes to the bridge antenna on both ends and they get plugged into a switch from there. I keep seeing all over the internet.

Any suggestions would be helpful, as our current setup is too slow.

I dont know much about it so really need some guidance. Looking to spend less than 600 if possible.

Anything any quicker? Guess I don't understand it very well figure something quicker than 150mbps has to be available?

Ive got about 600 to spend. Line of sight, about 750 feet or so.

I seen one that Ubiquiti offered that was near 300 mpbs. But not sure if that was actually quicker.

Anything any quicker? Guess I don't understand it very well figure something quicker than 150mbps has to be available?

I seen one that Ubiquiti offered that was near 300 mpbs. But not sure if that was actually quicker.

If you have 2 or 3 grand, they have AirFiber which will get you 700-800 Mbps real speed.

Right now you are using 54g, so you have a max throughpout of 54mbp, so, going to 150 is nearly 3x faster, and the fact that you are not using cobbled together bullshit is going to also improve.

Use these, you will be happy. I have 3 users and a server on the other side and have transferred linux isos and the contents of my nas over this all during business hours for days and no complaints from the peanut gallery.

If bandwidth is an ultimate concern you could always just bury some cat6a or fiber, but that'd probably blow your budget.

Cant go that route, other building is across the road.

3x faster I think ill just go this route, The cad files and such are pretty big to move back and forth.

But - it wont be cobbled together anymore, so sure itll be just fine. Just looking for something thatll be good for a few years.

Heh, nope, not that kind of cash, dont have the 2-3 grand

What about two of these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA0CD6581

Slightly harder to aim and overkill....and might actually create problems at default settings due to the signal being too strong.

The both recommendations should connect perfectly at 144Mbps with about 88Mbps (10MB/s) of usable total bandwidth.

I've posted and corrected numerous threads on wireless here as there is a significant amount of misleading opinions out there. Wireless G on 2.4Ghz running WPA-PSK with a perfect connection rate of 54Mbps gives you a usable data rate of 22Mbps or 3.4MB/s with a perfect connection. But many wireless G client do not support MIMO so the data rate ends up being even lower than that.

Back