Product keys stickers...

itsGEE!

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to do a fresh installation of windows 7 to a relatives dell laptop computer. The hdd went bad so I had to pop a new one I there. The problem is, they recently moved and misplaced the recovery disks that came with the dell laptop. Would I be able to use an oem or boxed version of the same OS, and use the cd key that's under the laptop?

If it doesn't activate the first time (which it should), just call the activation hotline it gives you.

if the machine is under warranty, you can always call dell and ask them to ship you a new set of DVDs. Mine arrived in 2 days

Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it. :)

I'm going to make them search their new place up and down for any warranty documentation and recovery discs one more time. If not I'll see what dell or microsoft could do for me if worse comes to worst.

Even if it's out of warranty, and you haven't gotten a set before, they'll send you discs for cost of shipping. Otherwise they're like $18 shipped.

You can download a legit copy of windows here. The use the key on the sticker and then call the hotline to activate.

You can download a legit copy of windows here. The use the key on the sticker and then call the hotline to activate.

Wow! Nice find on this. Adding that link to my favorites. Also, anyone ever played around with replacing the default Windows Recovery Environment (winre.wim) with a custom-build winre.wim from a DaRT 6.5/7.0 bood cd? It works a helluva lot better than the default. Just make certain you have a valid Technet or MSDN subscription.

Yea I downloaded the disc and it worked great... but didn't fix my problem... I've given up! lol... great link though

Yea I downloaded the disc and it worked great... but didn't fix my problem... I've given up! lol... great link though

Call MS and state that you're having trouble activating. Provide the Product ID in the system properties window. 1-800-936-5700.

I have a better solution for you.

Does the original hard drive still boot into Windows (even safe mode is OK)?
What brand Dell?
What version and bit of Windows?

This is so easy.

Just borrow or buy a W7 of your choice.
Run the disc.
Don't fill in the product key and skip any updating, ie install the OS off line.

Now that the OS is loaded, install all the drivers.

Now go ahead and auto update the OS.

Now activate the OS manually. If you are prompted, just call MS. The automated system will activate you with no problem at all.:D Most of the time you will activate automatically.

Back