Processor Upgrade worth it?

JerryTheStampede

Weaksauce
Hey guys. With all the processor price cuts I'm wondering if I should upgrade.

Right now my system looks like this
Intel c2d E6300
EVGA 680i Mobo
Nvidia 7950gt 512mb
2gbs 4-4-4-12 ddr2 pc6400 ram corsair
2 Seagate 250gb in raid0
with optical drives... and the such.
My monitor is 1680by1050.

Right now Q6600s are around $250.
Will getting a q6600 increase performance enough to justify the cost?
I know I can overclock the e6300 but I have plans for it later so I don't mind upgrading and letting the 6300 sit out of a box for a while.

One more thing. Does anyone have experience switching from a dual core to a quad. Will I need to do anything special or will it just be like switching video cards?

of course there will be a performance increase but deciding whether to get or don't get it depends on what you do on your computer. if all you do is game and it runs well then I don't see a reason for you to upgrade. just overclock it and your good to go. but if you run programs like photoshop or any other editing programs then you should get the q6600. this processor will overclock nicely if you want it to. just stick on a zerotherm nirvana nv120 and your set to go. also if you have a microcenter near you, they have the q6600 for $200 plus tax unless that deal had ended.

If you are going to upgrade the processor to a quad then you might as well upgrade yr vid card to a 8800gt or gts. Your vid card will be slowing you down man.

Look at my specs I'm in the same situation, I'm an AMD fanboi and ready to make the switch to Intel because they game better. If I get a Intel quad my little 7900 gt will be choking!

If you have a Microcenter or Fry's near you, the upgrade should only cost $200. And at that pricepoint, its definitely worth it if you have plans for your current CPU.

I think I would rather upgrade your video card for now than that processor upgrade. It will show more of a difference if gaming is your main intent on the pc.

second on the video card. If you got a 8800 GT you performance would double vs like 20-30% maybe from the processor.

How about 45nm Intel Quads n Duo ?

Overpriced, for now anyway, and the 45nm quads are incompatible with your motherboard.

Now what will you be doing with this PC? If gaming, you'll see a larger performance increase with a better video card. If you're doing a lot of media (music, 3D, video, etc) editing and rendering, then yes you'll see a increase with the Q6600.

i have a similar setup and i went from the e6300 @ stock/7600gs sli to the e6300 @ 2.8/8800gt and it was a completely different comp. i've been comtemplating going quad but everything except crysis runs great at 1920x1200.

9600GT ?? best update if the op games a lot. perhaps even if he just does movies and stuff, onboard decode etc.

9600GT ?? best update if the op games a lot. perhaps even if he just does movies and stuff, onboard decode etc.

If the OP does a lot of gaming, then the 8800GT, for just a bit more, would perform better than the 9600GT. When you could buy the 8800GT for the same price AR as you would the 9600GT straight-out, then it's a pretty good deal (especially considering how much they were 3-4 months ago :eek:).

Alright guys thanks for the input.

I completely forgot to mention that I use this comp for gaming but most of you guessed that already.

I'm going to go with a video card upgrade. Right now I'm torn between the newer 8800gts and the 8800gt but I'll read into it.

Thank you all :)

Either choice you go with, you can't go wrong man. They both are great cards and you will benefit from either card.

Quad core for multi tasking and softwares specifically for those.But not very good for gaming.

Back