• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Processor okay for gaming?

msbbc833

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
320
I am doing some slight upgrading on my current PC to make it more compatible with the new batman game that I wanna play. Here is what I am planing to buy

MSI P35 board
4870 1GB Card
LG 22" LCD

I will be reusing my current E2200 clocked at 3ghz. Will that be sufficient for gaming at 1680x1050?
 
i don't think so, why don't you get a Core 2 Duo at least?
 
wait, you are running the proc at 3 ghz now?


if so why change the mobo? do you not have a pci-express board?

should be okay, That's not a high res. I will admit I know nothing about this batman game though, so it may be a machine crippler
 
reason is i am running an old ecs board...i might just fork over the $$ and get one of those Q9550s from microcenter
 
reason is i am running an old ecs board...i might just fork over the $$ and get one of those Q9550s from microcenter

totally worth it if you are getting everything else for cheap. see how good of a Phenom II system you can build with the same amount of money.
 
I just don't see swapping a motherboard as an upgrade usually.

performance difference is minimal, maybe spend the money on a nicer LCD instead.

or honestly, I would consider switching to a phenom 2, you can reuse your ram and the performance difference would be pretty substantial.
 
The E2200 might limit you in certain games, but at that resolution your overall performance should be good enough for most cases. I suggest that you try out your current CPU with the new parts, see if your system performs well enough for you, and based on those results decide whether or not you want to upgrade to something better.
 
You might want to upgrade that CPU.. Right now for gaming the best you can go with would be a Q9550 with a good OC on it.. Alot of games now use Multi Core.. TF2, L4D, MW:2.. I am running a C2D at 3GHz and I am not having any bottlenecking at all.. But the HD 4870 1GB is a monster card.. I am running one right now, and it will play everything on its highest settings with 4x AA 16X AF @ 1920X1200 with no prob.. I am upgrading to a Q9550 in a few weeks due to the fact, Quads are running games better then C2D now.. Im not saying you going to get a whole lot more FPS but I will say you will see the difference in the smoothness of the game and load times.. and if you keep windows open and do stuff in the backround while you game it will make a huge difference.. as far as Video you are set but I would say you might want at least a Core 2 Duo 8400 or a Core 2 Quad 9550 if you are going to be MultiTasking or just running newer games that will use the cores.. Right now I am set tho, I really dont need to upgrade but I would like my games to run a bit smoother.. But good choice on the video card.. There is nothing it will not play at the highest settings.. It beasts the GTX 260 by about 15-20%.. and is only $150 bucks.. HD 4870 1GB FTW!!
 
Back
Top