Processor Decisions

mercury529

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone.

Sorry if this is a rehash, but in my searches I did not really find anything recently that quite seemed to cover my situation. I am potentially looking to build a new machine and a few questions. My computer will primarily be used for gaming and programming. I am basically looking to find the components that will maximize value over the next 2 years (at which point, I envision building another value-centric machine).

These are the parts I am leaning towards for reference (and feel free to chime in if you have any strong opinions one way or another).

Hard Drives: 2 Raptors run as a Mirror (already own them)
Video Card: Leaning toward an HD 4850 (one in the ~$160 price range - seems like the best value in a card)
Monitor: 19 inch LCD (non-widescreen), maybe a 22 widescreen LCD if I splurge
Motherboard: Perhaps a P35 (along the lines of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337 )
CPU: Q6600, E8400, or E8500?

1.) Considering my two main focuses are on gaming and programming, what processor makes the most sense if I would want to do easily attainable overclocking? My inclination is toward a Q6600 to improve multitasking performance (especially during compiles) and to take advantage of when games start using multiple cores.

2.) If I decided I did not want to overclock, which processor would make the most sense?

3.) Is an OEM processor and an after market cooler the best option for easily attainable overclocking (If so, what is the after-market cooler of choice)? How far would I be able to push the CPU safely/reliably on the retail cooling?

4.) Is now a good time to purchase a CPU? It sounds like it will be more than a few months before the Nehalem will push down prices on the existing processors (due to more demand than supply in the early stages). I ideally do not want to wait more than 3 months unless it offers some big advantage. Should I expect prices to drop any more, or have they effectively bottomed out for the time being?

Thanks for any help you can give.

1) Definately go with a quad core for your uses. I've got one and I use it more than I ever though I would.

2) If you don't OC, I'd look at the Q9450 or Q9550

3) Yes. On retail cooling, I'd only OC as far as the default voltage would let me. I don't recommend over-volting on stock cooling.

4) No one knows for sure, but I can't see the Q6600 get much cheaper than it already is. What is more likely to happen is that the Q6600 will be phased out and one of the lower end 45nm quads will move into it's price bracket. IMO, unless you're going to buy Nehalem, it isn't worth waiting for it to be released to make your purchase.

My vote goes for the Q6600, best bang for the buck that there is right now. OCs well as you already know, but even at 2.4 I've still been able to run all of my games maxed out just fine.

1) Definitely the Q6600 for your situation

2) I concur with RamonGTP about the Q9450 and Q9950. The Q9450 can be had for $280:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 CPU - $280

3) In terms of price and warranty: no. OEM CPUs only come with a 90 day warranty whereas retail CPUs come with a 3 year warranty. If the price difference between an OEM and retail CPU is about $20 and below, go retail. Higher than $20, than go OEM. An OEM and retail CPU will overclock about the same.

On stock cooling, it depends on whether you got a good CPU that doesn't require too much voltage, airflow inside your case, whether or not you replace the stock thermal paste,etc. But I've seen people hit 3Ghz with the Q6600 with stock cooling. However temperatures were often pretty high in those cases (around 70C to 80C). Right now there are four after-market HSF of choice now:
OCZ OCZTVEND2 Vendetta 2 120 Rifle HSF - $35
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle HSF - $37 & Retention Bracket - $7
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm HSF - $50
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme HSF - $57 & Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 120MM Case Fan - $14

I'd go for the Nirvana NV120. Has a nice $10 MIR that knocks the price down to $40. It also comes with a mounting bracket by default, unlike the two HSF before it. The mounting bracket will make it easier to install the HSF.

4) The Q6600 pricing has pretty much bottomed out. Highly doubt there will be a price cut on that CPU anytime soon.

Thank you very much for all the info. I appreciate it. It was good to get reinforcement on the Q6600. I would rather overclock it than shell out for the Q9450.

I found an OEM Q6600 through LiveSearch at TigerDirect for 166+7 shipped. I live in CA, and it appears TD does not charge sales tax in Cali. The site also says the warranty is for 1 year on the OEM CPU. It seems to me like that is a pretty solid deal. Would everyone tend to agree?

I found an OEM Q6600 through LiveSearch at TigerDirect for 166+7 shipped. I live in CA, and it appears TD does not charge sales tax in Cali. The site also says the warranty is for 1 year on the OEM CPU. It seems to me like that is a pretty solid deal. Would everyone tend to agree?

Be aware that you will need to purchase an aftermarket heatsink with an OEM CPU. It's a decent deal though.

Back