processor core locations

Gabriel5

n00b
question:

My i7 920 D0 is cooling unevenly, which I've heard is normal. I've got the NB, CPU, and a 4870x2 in a single loop, and at idle at just a little over stock voltage I get 39, 33, 38, 33 or within one degree of that all the time. It seems like core 0 and core 3 mirror each other when I've been watching. Same case under load, btw. I figure my heat sink (heatkiller 3) might be uneven.

Does anyone know where on the actual die each core is located?

Last edited:
I would say your temps are fine. It's not uncommon for core temperatures to be uneven. The hotter ones may limit your maximum overclock though. Check the max temperature difference when running IntelBurnTest. Thats where it really matters.

It looks like the cores are spread out horizontally across the chip as seen here so I guess I would have though that tightening one side more than the other would make certain cores cooler than others, but I am only guessing...

Uneven core temperatures can be caused by a number of reasons that have nothing to do with contact with the heatsink or with the position of the cores in the die. However, it's really not something that you have to be concerned with.

Back