Processor Averaging 80 Degrees Celcius!

adamadekat

Gawd
Recently my computer has been randomly shutting off. Sometimes when I turn it back on, the BIOS gives me a CPU Overheat Error! or a CPU Voltage Error! I used REALtemp and my cpu temp is average 80 degrees Celcius, which I know is way too hot. I tried remounting the cpu and I get the same problem. Any ideas?

Sounds like a motherboard issue. Its putting to much voltage on the cpu like your bios said.

What voltage is reported and what cooler are you using?

I am using the stock cooler. These are the voltage readings I got in my BIOS:

VCORE Voltage: 1.136
3.3V: 3.264
5V: 5.068
12V: 12.196

Load Optimized Default in bios, dust out your stuff if it's clogged.

It looks like either your case airflow is bad or the heatsink paste has gone off.

Is the heatsink hot when the CPU registers 80C?

can you tell if your cpu is actually running very hot? is the hs hot to the touch? or the motherboard around the socket? do you have another hs/f, even an intel stock that you can swap in?

Um yeah so I remounted it in a different position and now it's back to a good temp. Man, do I feel like an idiot. Sorry guys - and thanks for all of the input.

Reapply thermal paste. I had the same thing happen yesterday, remounted an X2 heatsink, only to have it 60c idle.

If the fan is running, press the pushpins again. one or more has popped loose or is not fully seated.

UIing a screwdriver trun the pins in the direction of the arrow printed on the top of each pin. This will unlock them. Gently wiggle and make sure all are loose. If you pull the heatsink all the way off you will need to reapply thermal grease, so just trun the pins and see that they are loose. Turn the pins back the way they were (opposite of the arrow0 and press them back down into the board in an X pattern. Do not go around in a circle. Do one then the one across from it. Press like hell and make sure they click. The last one will be a pain. When finished the heatsink should be solid as a rock, no wiggle etc.

Back