Problems with posting after re-seating CPU Cooler

Hexus0

Gawd
Hi All,

My friend and I decided to reseat his CPU cooler (Corsair H60i) because we thought it wasn't having the best contact with the CPU due to the reported temps (80*C-90*C on load). After removing the CPU, cleaning the thermal paste from the heatsink and the CPU, we re-installed the heatsink following the instructions carefully, but we couldn't POST at all.

The components will all start, fans will spin, the pump runs on the heatsink, but after a few seconds everything just powers down. It sounds like power isn't getting to the components. My friend explained to me last night when he removed the CPU to clean the thermal paste he noticed that the pins on the motherboard socket seemed a little bit off. Here is a pic of the motherboard's CPU socket.

These are the specs on the computer:
GigateByte UD5H-Z97X-BK
Intel I7 4990K
16GB Corsair Ballistic DDR3
Nvidia GTX 970
Corsair HX650
Corsair MX100 512GB SSD
1TB WD HDDD

Is this due to the pins on the motherboard socket being off or could this be due to something else?

That socket is fucked. There is near zero tolerance for damaged pins in a socket, either the CPU makes correct contact or it doesn't. When contact us bad, it won't work and often fries the CPU. Don't put another CPU in there unless you plan to fry it. That needs a new motherboard, and your friend may need a new CPU too.

There is NO reason to remove the CPU from the socket when changing or cleaning the cooler. You can just clean it with alcohol and qtips. The pins were probaby damaged by a slipping finger while the CPU was coming in or out. Decent chance your friend tossed $400 in the trash by taking apart things that shouldn't be taken apart carelessly.

You can send the board back to the OEM and they may be able to repair the socket (at a cost).

Last edited:
Pretty much what ocellaris said: Bent pins = fucked system.

Yea, motherboard is pretty much fucked. Broken pins means your 100% fucked. You MIGHT be able to bend them back using a razer.

4990K, was it overclocked? The H60i isn't the greatest AiO around, that cpu is probably pushing that tiny radiator to it's limits. The few reviews I've read have them on a 3770k Oc'd max load between 80-90c

I had seen a socket 1155 with bent pins and I bent them back with 2 exact-o knives and some gentle care.
You can fix it as long as you don't break the pins, they are delicate but I was able to manipulate them to look almost exactly like factory.

From my attempts, bending back the pins on the socket (or chip) is damn near impossible. I've spent a couple hours to still have a machine dead in the water. If you value your time and sanity, just get a new board.

Back