• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problems with new build....

Peteman100

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
1,466
I just built a new computer for myself (specs below) and I'm having some strange issues. At first glance, all my hardware seemed to be functioning well after I put it all together. However, I started getting strange instability issues once I loaded Windows. A lot of my drivers didn't want to install properly or would give errors on reboots. Also, Vista would pop errors at startup as well, including one stating that Readyboost had failed to start properly (I didn't even have a USB drive in the computer). And the weirdest part was that Prime95 fails almost immediately on the blend test even though I am at completely stock settings in the BIOS! My first guess would be that the memory is bad but I have them running at the proper voltage and each DIMM individually passed 8 hours of Memtest without a hiccup. And while my CPU temps are funky, with the hottest core 10 degrees higher than the coolest at 60 degrees loaded, those temperatures shouldn't be high enough to be causing instability (And reseating my cooler doesn't seem to help my temps). Any other ideas on what the issue might be or how I can identify the problem??

Vista64
Intel Q9550
OCZ Vendetta 2 Cooler
Asus P5Q Deluxe
OCZ 2x2GB Reaper 800Mhz CAS4
MSI 4850 512
WD 6400AAKS (+ 1 other backup HD)
Samsung SH-S203B DVD Burner
 
tried reinstalling windows? Which drivers give you errors on reboot, specifically?
 
Sorry to ask this but i have looked everywhere and can`t find Memtest for Vista 64 bit, where did you get yours?
 
tried reinstalling windows? Which drivers give you errors on reboot, specifically?

I've reinstalled windows a couple times but that hasn't helped. The driver that gave me the most issues was Catalyst control center, but that certainly isn't the only problem. I've had a lot of windows errors too and hardware instability.
 
Sorry to ask this but i have looked everywhere and can`t find Memtest for Vista 64 bit, where did you get yours?

Memtest runs before the computer loads into windows, so I don't think it cares what version you have. Just burn the program onto a CD and boot from it. I got my version from here:

http://www.memtest.org/
 
Memtest runs before the computer loads into windows, so I don't think it cares what version you have. Just burn the program onto a CD and boot from it. I got my version from here:

http://www.memtest.org/

Correct.

Can try a different version of the driver. Or trying a spare video card? Or can you test this card in another machine?

What we're faced with is either driver related or hardware. I had a machine that worked fine until I installed the video driver. Than it was crash city. Turned out the video card was a dud.
 
Correct.

Can try a different version of the driver. Or trying a spare video card? Or can you test this card in another machine?

What we're faced with is either driver related or hardware. I had a machine that worked fine until I installed the video driver. Than it was crash city. Turned out the video card was a dud.

You really think its the videocard? Would that, or its drivers, really lead to windows instability and cause the computer to fail Prime95 immediately? Seems like it should be something for central like the memory, CPU or motherboard, right? I do have another card though so I guess I'll give that a shot.
 
Tell me about it! Personally I suspect just about every piece of hardware right down to your motherboard's bios! Motherboard is the next likely candidate, having a faulty chipset perhaps. These kinds of problems are always a bitch.

Good luck, let me know if I can be of any help. Dont hesitate to PM me.
 
Back
Top