Problems with my nF4 and primary IDE, any ideas?

ScotteusMaximus

Limp Gawd
ok, so i've got some issues with the rig that's in my signature. occasionally the system will hang on POST, right when it says "detecting IDE drives." the only way to get around this is to power down and then back on. other times it'll POST and boot into windows, but the hard drive that's connected to the primary IDE channel won't be detected. still other times, it'll boot into windows, the drive will be detected, and all will be right with the world. if i disable the primary IDE channel, i can boot into windows 100% of the time.

any ideas about what my problem might be? it's getting frustrating having to restart my computer every time i need something off of my IDE drive.

a little background that might be useful. i built this machine around august. it was working perfectly, then like an idiot, i decided to install the nF4 6.70 drivers, even though i wasn't having any issues with the 6.66 set. i wasn't really paying attention during the installation, just clicking away, and i accidentally installed the IDE SW drivers.

nothing bad happened for a few weeks, my machine didn't catch fire, the mysterious blue smoke wasn't released, none of that. then one day, i noticed that movies that i had stored on my primary IDE drive were taking a while to access. then while accessing that drive, i got a machine check exception, and from then on, i would continue to get BSODs before even booting into windows, or whenever i tried to access the drive in safe mode. i disabled the primary IDE channel, which got me into windows just fine. i uninstalled the NVIDIA IDE drivers, the blue screens went away, and i could access anything on that drive without any problems.

i've tried completely uninstalling the motherboard drivers and reinstalling with (a) no NVIDIA storage drivers whatsoever, (b) only the NVIDIA SATA drivers, and (c) the NVIDIA SATA and IDE drivers, and none of those have solved my problem.

the fact that everything works fine when the primary IDE channel is disabled makes me think that it's either a problem with my motherboard or my hard drive, but the drive is brand new, and when the drive is detected, i can work with it with no problems, nothing is corruped, and SMART doesn't find any problems with it.

oh, btw, i set my CPU back to its default speed, just to be safe, and i'm still getting the same problem.

I'd try plugging your CD-ROMs into the primary channel just to see if it still freezes on you. If you have the same HDD problems on the secondary channel, then at least you know it's not the board.

kirbyrj said:
I'd try plugging your CD-ROMs into the primary channel just to see if it still freezes on you. If you have the same HDD problems on the secondary channel, then at least you know it's not the board.

i just tried plugging switching the IDE channels, and i get the same problem with the HDD on the secondary channel, so at this point, it's either a bum drive (which sucks since the drive is only 3 months old) or some issue with the chipset and my HDD. i might try swapping cables, just to see if that does anything.

I had similar problem with my MSI neo 4 plat sli. The problem turned out to be some USB bug. I think I fixed it with a bios update to motherboard. The problems was only happening when my X-45 was plugged in to the USB. But I may be wrong because it seems that it hung up right before IDE search. Just an Idea.

Back