Problems w/ router

Nahid

Limp Gawd
I'm having some difficulties figuring out why my router will not work. Recently I purchased a brand new modem and router. Modem is a linksys CM100 and a brand new router in wrt54gl.

I have been having some connectivity issues w/ my old modem and router (I'm not even sure if they're bad, I was sick and tired of it and decided to get new ones). My modem is working perfectly, however, my router is not when I connect it.

Any ideas that you may have that will help me resolve this?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, help, etc..

Regards..

Mac[X-D];1033218492 said:
if anyone is going to be able to you we need way more info.

Ok, tell me what kind of information you will need and I will supply it.

Old modem - BEFCMU10

Old router - WRT54G

Cable provider - Comcast (current provider as well)

Did you call up Comcast and have them "provision" your new modem? You will only be able to get on their intranet site until you do so. Once they provision it, you'll be online after with a proper public IP address.

To provision it...write down the "MAC address" on your new modem. Call them up, tell support you just purchased a new modem..and you need to have it provisioned. They'll put you on with a tech..you read them the MAC address..he uploads a config file to the modem...the modem reboots, and that part is done. I've done this several times for people, takes about 10-15 minutes overall.

Next..once cable modem is properly setup, power it off for a few minutes. Plug the ethernet cable into your new routers WAN/Internet port. Power up the router, power up the cable modem..give it a few minutes to synch up. Then power cycle your router again. Now..boot up a PC connected to the router..or just release/renew a PC..and you should be online.

Now change the admin password on your router, and lock down the wireless.

Optional performance/stability boost...flash router with DD-WRT or Tomoto 3rd party firmware.

***edit*** Now that I see you say the new modem is working perfectly.....it probably has the MAC of your prior device memorized..and you plug in your router, and it doens't recognize the MAC of your router. So power it off for a while...and do the power cycle sequence I mentioned above.

What was your old modem?

Go into your router and see what your public IP address is... if it's something like 192.168.100.2 then your cable modem is not obtaining a IP from your ISP's DHCP servers. I would just call your ISP like StoneCat suggested.

You can also check your cable modems diagnostics page at http://192.168.100.1 and see what is going on.

EDIT: I see you have the CM100, that means that your diagnostic page will not work after the modem has been on for a few minutes. It's a bug and it sucks and Linksys does nothing about it. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20954447-CM100-status-page

Personally, after owning the CM100 myself for the past few months, I wish I would have chosen the Motorola Surfboard that was sitting on the shelf right next to it.

Nahid,

All you've told us so far is that you had a problem with your old modem/router, bought new ones, and now your new modem works but not your router. You have not told us what is not working, or how you identified that it is your router that is not working, rather than your modem. I think that if you tell us what troubleshooting you have performed already, and what the results are from that troubleshooting, then we will be able to provide more specific help that better relates to your problem.

just like mryerse said, along with telling us what isn't working correctly.

we can't help if we don't know what's wrong :confused:

Thank you all for your help, I managed to fix the problem after hours of long work. Thanks for the advices from both YeOlde and Met :)

Back