Problems upgrading to Windows 7

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone. I'm frustrated. After using Windows XP for 10 years straight, I finally upgraded to Windows 7. I love it overall, but some odd things are happening. For example I've been playing Unreal Tournament 2004 since the day it came out so naturally I installed it on my new OS, Windows 7.

However when I navigate to the UT2004 directory none of the files I used in UT2004 using Windows XP, are present. Files like user.ini and ut2004.ini are simply not there. But I did notice some files called Configuration Files look like they may possibly be the missing files but since the name of the file is wrong and there are no .ini file extensions I don't know what is what.

I did a search from the start menu for "user.ini" but it yielded nothing. Does Win7 change file names when you install it?

Oh well, thanks for any help you can provide.

control Folder option , appearance personalisation, folder options, show system files

Hey everyone. I'm frustrated. After using Windows XP for 10 years straight, I finally upgraded to Windows 7. I love it overall, but some odd things are happening. For example I've been playing Unreal Tournament 2004 since the day it came out so naturally I installed it on my new OS, Windows 7.

However when I navigate to the UT2004 directory none of the files I used in UT2004 using Windows XP, are present. Files like user.ini and ut2004.ini are simply not there. But I did notice some files called Configuration Files look like they may possibly be the missing files but since the name of the file is wrong and there are no .ini file extensions I don't know what is what.

I did a search from the start menu for "user.ini" but it yielded nothing. Does Win7 change file names when you install it?

Oh well, thanks for any help you can provide.

It sounds like UAC redirection. Programs in Windows 7, by default, do not run with administrator permissions and thus are unable to write to the program files directory. UAC will intercept attempts by these programs to write to those directories and redirect it to a hidden folder where you do have write permissions. You should be able to view that folder by clicking the "View Compatibility Files" button in explorer when you are in the UT2004 folder.

It also may have the data moved to the appdata folder.
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming

btw, in vista and 7 you have to run the program as admin otherwise your save games don't work......ie the next time you come in, progress is lost, Same for UT as well.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to go try some of your ideas and see if I can find these files. Also, I thought I was automatically running all programs as admin since I'm the only user on this pc.

Back