• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problems installing WD Raptor 74 GB 10k

Joined
Jan 12, 2005
Messages
31
A little background info: I recently had my WD 80 GB 72K hard drive crash on my irrepairably, and so I decided to buy a new hard drive, as well as get a new version of XP Pro. I went to New Egg as I have always had excellent experiences with them before. I ordered the WD 74 GB Raptor 10000 SATA. THe specs for my computer are:

P4 2.8 HT CPU
ABIT IS7 mobo
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
1 GB DDR Kingston RAM
Audigy 2 soundcard
Plextor DL DVD+R/DVD+-R/RW

I plugged in the HD to my computer, plugged in a power connector and then attached the SATA cable to the SATA1 port on my mobo. I bought the WIndows XP Pro OEM os from New Egg, and I put that in optical drive to try and install everything. Unfortunately, when i choose to run Windows Xp and install it, I receive a message that says
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program"

I only bought the OEM version of the drive, so it did not come with any cd. I know it is plugged in so thats not it. I went to ABIT's site and dl a driver for having a SATA HD and installed it by hitting f6 during the windows startup, before it goes to the setup menu. I am utterly clueless as to what to do. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Try this

If the board has a “RAID” controller sometimes you have to enable raid (in your CMOS) for the system to see the boot drive. Make sure you have the boot order in the bios set right and the raid controller enabled for the SATA channel your using. If you get that far then you should be able to access the controller from the post screen (what ever your commands are there). Select single RAID disk. Exit that screen then go to the next thing which is “boot order” from the post screen, select CD rom as the boot device.

When you go to do your win install don’t forget to hit F6 so it will ask you for the drivers. (you will need a floppy drive)

Sounds weird but it worked for me. Once the OS was installed I could disable “RAID” in the CMOS and all is well.

Not totally familiar with your board, but that's worked for me a number of times.

Lol, it’s late, hope that made sense.

Luck
__________________
 
I think you can set the Sata to be IDE Primary Master in the BIOS, then it will see the Sata as IDE 1 and then install the OS onto it, without the Sata drivers (worked in my IC7G)
 
Back
Top