Problems after a Virus

EchoMatrix

Gawd
Not sure where else to post this. I've tried all the Antivirus/Malware removal techniques in the Security section but this isn't covered nor fixed it.

Anyway here is the problem. I got my first Virus the other day, (damn you Sara Jean Underwood!) and installed a nasty Antivirus malware. I was able to remove it thanks to the [H]ardforum. Fast forward a week, another version pops up on my computer (not my fault I swear). Removed that one. I now have an version of Symantec for free from work and my computer hasn't been the same since.

1. I cant access my secondary hard drive with all my Steam stuff on it. See photo. But my Steam games still run. Odd. The MSConfig folder is empty but the Hard Drive still reads its normal fill rate in "my computer"

2. Every 20 min or so I get this problem (bottom) that the AV program pics up. Every time it does, I cannot connect to the internet. My iphone and laptop connect fine, but opening a browser just says "searching" for 5-10 min before reconnecting. Then it happens again. Steam doesn't work nor Origin.

3. My book time is 2-3x slower than it normally is.

I'm trying to get a windows 7 disk so I can do a reinstall, but that takes time. Anyone else experience something like this? whats going on?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It appears that the antivirus is causing more issues than it is fixing. 192.168.1.1 is your router address that it is blocking. I'm not sure if it is blocking it due to virus remnants or not. You may be able to change the behavior in the settings.

Fresh install is probably best. MS antivirus is better imo (does not act like a virus). Not sure if detection rates are as high though. I use it in conjunction with malware bytes free to scan dl files. (you have to manually update mb)

If you can burn a dvd and have a license key you may be able to download the iso and make a disk yourself.

Last edited:
ahh the Old ISO trick. haven't downloaded in a while so I forgot about that. Yeah the virus shredded the MS version. Needed something a little more industrial after that. Thanks!

any clue on the files disappearing?

Disable System Restore and run ccleaner with everything but the erase free space options checked, and malwarebytes antimalware at windows safe mode, then to gain access to your files, run "unhide.exe".

ahh the Old ISO trick. haven't downloaded in a while so I forgot about that. Yeah the virus shredded the MS version. Needed something a little more industrial after that. Thanks!

any clue on the files disappearing?

Run the command "Attrib -s -h e: /S /D" and see if the files show up. May take awhile depending on the number of files and folders on that drive.

I suggest you scan with a TDSS checker too. Hitman, Kaspersky TDSS Killer or Norton TDSS tool all are capable of finding TDSS where Malwarebytes doesn't seem to have as high a hit rate.

That goddamn rootkit loves to hide in the MBR, and when ya think ya finished it off, it comes back. Its a bastard and I wish the creator of that product had his genitals ran through a meat grinder

Back