Problem with the Quadbox all of a sudden..

tedkj

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2008
Hmm.. seems two of my cards have dropped to putting out 3400'ish PpD now. When I examine the two cards in RivaTuner, I can't get up the customize driver setting sheet - or well, it's all blank, no info about clocks etc.

From what I gather, they seem to be running in low power 3D mode or 2D mode, and that will kick the shaders back to 800/600 which seems like a correct number for those PpD's I'm getting.

The displays for the two cards still come up correct in Windows and I can disable them, and re-enable without problem (extending desktop), however only 2 cards run at full speed, and only 2 cards is possible to modify from RivaTuner (except low-lvl fan setting I can select for all 4 cards).

I've tried all I can think of when it comes to troubleshooting this;

1. I reinstalled drivers.
2. Booted with only one card, then re-enabled the 3 other.
3. Verified dummy-plugs were working.
4. Tried another PSU on the two cards.
5. Removed them from Device Manager, and rebooted.
6. Core temps are fine, got 4 high-power 220v deltafans blasting them good (the two hottest cards are still working like they should).

Nothing has helped so far..

Very weird.. anyone have any clues? Searched around but couldn't find anything...

BTW, does anyone have a link to the 1.07 nV core? The link on Stanford's forum etc is broken.

EDIT; I used RivaTuner to check the actual clocks running in Hardware Monitor, and it seems I was right with my guess. 2 of the cards run at 400 Core / 800 Shaders, which is the default setting for low power 3d .. weird!

It's part of my plan, I'm stealing your cycles so I can get more :D
Really, I dunno... this is odd and should not be happening, I hope this will not set me back from my purchase as well.

Tried EVGA precision overclocking 1.2.0 ?

What are your low power 3d clock settings in Riva Tuner? On my card I have 2D and both 3D settings set at the same speed since I don't think 2d comes into play with Vista.

Edit: Just re-read that you couldn't access the clock settings, never mind then. :(

IcedEmotion, with the GTX 200 series, RivaTuner is acting weird and there is indeed 3 types : 2d, 3d and performance 3d with various clocks. The 2d is very low and that's what folding will run (shader clock maxed at 900). I guess the GTX 200 series implemented various power saving tricks to reduce power consumption during 2d operations or idle.

EVGA Precision works correctly.

Hmm.. I just noticed something. The insanely loud piezo-electric noise is gone.. must have happened when I was in the other room. Didn't think of it before now..

Maybe somethign has gone bust.. hehe.. oh well, now it's time to hit the sack. I promised myself I would go to bed 5 hours ago and be awake and well prepared for the trip. So much for that! :)

Atleast I'll have 6 cards running while I'm gone then. Will set this one up with 2 instead of 4 tomorrow and run it off my old and trusted 750W PSU just to be safe that the new PSU won't go down in flames with my house while I'm away ;)

Thanks and take care, talk to you guys soon!

EVGA precision works with non EVGA card.
You can download it from their site if you register (don't need a card you just register an email addy)

Here is the link.

You might also want to think in terms of ram. My machines with lower ram seem more apt to get sluggish then the machines with more ram.

I even swapped cards from box to box to verify this, but of course it could be somthing else. Folding wouldn't be fun if everything worked;)

I get the same thing. It is very sluggish when I am folding with the GPU2 client, I have 8 gigs of ram...

I run
Vista x64 Q6600 8800GT 8GB GPU2 + SMP no lag
Vista x86 Q6600 8800GT 4GB GPU2 + SMP no lag
XP LT T8100 8700M GT 3 GB GPU2 + SMP no lag.

Not sure what's causing some systems to lag, but I do CAD and watch videos on these systems and I can't tell folding is running. Hell, I expected the LT to lag, but I don't bother to shut down the folding clients when I do network drawings because I just can't tell any difference.

Can we start comparing notes and try to see what is similar about the "laggy" boxes to troubleshoot?

On that high pitched noise.... I have it too.

I hear it only when my one 8800GT is folding.

When the card isn't overclocked, I can barely hear it.

Then if I change the overclock of the card while its folding, I can hear the pitch change.
The higher the oveclock, the higher the pitch.

Try changing the overclocks while folding to see if it changes the pitch.

Back