Problem with Remote Desktop feature in Win XP Pro

jeffbax

Weaksauce
I'm trying to set up my computer to allow remote desktop, but everytime someone connects to me and types in the login information, they pause a bit and then are ejected.

I have Terminal Services running, and have set up accounts to use (have even tried admin account) and all the same thing.

Has anyone had this issue?

I'm also running IIS web server software too for MySQL and PHP if that is a conflict.

I'm quite lost, does it require anything besides Terminal? I tried activating mroe services but no dice yet. I'd rather not have to reformat to try an get this working either as I've gotten my box running just how I want it to.

if you are behind a NAT, that will probably block the port(s) needed for the connection. in that case, the pause on their end is the connection timing out, as they will not be able to connect. just set up the needed ports to forward to your ip in your router configuration.

I have 3389 open for TCP And UDP... I don't think my router has an option for RDP ?

Originally posted by cloaked
if you are behind a NAT, that will probably block the port(s) needed for the connection. in that case, the pause on their end is the connection timing out, as they will not be able to connect. just set up the needed ports to forward to your ip in your router configuration.
They can connect and log in, but after that they are booted.

I have 3389 TCP And UDP forwarded right, is there a way to forward RDP separatly?

There is no RDP port. That's like "remote desktop protocol" or something. From what you say it should be working properly... Make sure they are using an account that has access, and i believe that only one of them can be signed on a t a time. Perhaps that is your problem. Everyone signing on together and booting each other off.... Just a thought...

Is someone else logged on physically to the computer at the same time?

where did you set up the remote desktop? Did you only start the terminal server service? Or did you set it up and assign users allowed to remote in via the Remote tab under the My Computer properties?

Hmmm... No, I didn't have people trying to login while I was at the computer, its only me using it anyway, I want to get this working for laptop purposes.

But, as for services, I use the blackviper xp services guide every time I reformat (usually the same) but I made sure I kept the ones that I thought were critical to IIS and now Remote Desktop running.

I'm at school now, so I'll get a list of disabled services when I get home.

The strange thing is people can connect, and then login, but after that they hang at a blue background (not BSOD :p) and then they are dropped.

As for the users, I created a user and set him up access to use remote desktop in the configuration utility for it, and like the admin account it logs in but then is booted.

But its not from multiple people trying to get in at once because its only me who knows anything about it :p

No logs that I know of, I haven't seen any error messages (though error reporting is off)

Disabled Services
---------------------------
Alerter
Application Layer Gateway Service
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Clipbook
Com+ Event System
Com+ System Application
DHCP Client
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
DNS Client
Error Reporting Service
Faster User Switching Compatibility
Human Interface Device Access
Indexing Service
Internet Connection Firewall
IPSEC Services
Logical Disk Manager
Logical Disk Manager Administrative...
Messenger
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (oops?)
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
NT LM Security Support Provider
Perforamnce Logs and Alerts
Portable Media Serial Number
Protected Storage
QoS RSVP
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Removable Storage
Routing and Remote Access
Secondary Logon
Shell Hardware Detection
Smart Card
Smart Card Helper
SSDP Discovery Service
System Event Notification
Task Scheduler
TCP/IP NetBIOS helper
Telnet
Themes
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Upload Manager
Volume Shadow Copy
WebClient
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Windows Time
Wireless Zero Configuration
WMI Performance Adapter

Automatic Services
----------------------------
AVG6 Service
Computer Browser
Event Log
IIS Admin
MySQL
Nvidia Display Driver Service
Plug and Play
Print Spooler
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Remote Registry
Security Accounts Manager
Server
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
System Restore Service
Terminal Services
Windows Audio
Windows Management Instrumentation
Workstation
World Wide Web Publishing

Manual Services
---------------------------
Application Management
Cryptographic Services
Help and Support
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Net Logon
Network Connections
Office Source Engine
Telephony
Windows Installer
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions

Are any of the services required disabled, or any services set to automatic unnecessary?

How bout you set the services back to XP gold, and maybe just maybe everything will work.

QUACK Viper strikes again!

Yet another example of that liar and know-nothing piece of garbage ruining the performance of many.

Originally posted by GreNME
QUACK Viper strikes again!

Yet another example of that liar and know-nothing piece of garbage ruining the performance of many.

I hate flaming people, but I'm with you GrenMe. My roomate does the same sh*t every time he builds a PC and he wonders why he can't browse my network, why his IE loads slow, all kinds of crap.

The things people will do to get 2 seconds shaved off their boot time :rolleyes:

Back