problem with memory install

FALCONSEYE

n00b
i just purchased an ASUS P5N-E SLI with
CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 (1GB x 4) PC26400 800MHZ MATCHED PAIR 5-5-5-12 240-PIN DDR2 DIMM

when i try to install all 4 of them, the pc won't start. if i remove two, then it starts/runs fine.

what do i need to do in order to install all 4 gig of rams?
thanks in advance...

What do you have your memory voltage/timings set to in bios? You might have to set them to a higher voltage with looser timings and then add the 2nd set.

I have the same board, and had mine OCed pretty heavily with one stick of Kingston Valueram, and when I went to add another, it wouldn't boot. I dropped the OC some, Re-added the second stick (2 X 1GB 5300, 5-5-5-15) got it to boot, then adjusted the Ram voltages and FSB/Ram timings and it is working like a champ now and is back to the original OCed speed.

There are other threads about 4gb not working. Run memtest86 with 2 sticks and then switch and see if you can get the other 2 pass. If you can get the pass as seperate tests with only 2gb then the problem isn't your mem.

I haven't found out why some of Asus boards are having trouble with 4gb. I was on the phone with tech for half an hour and the best I can figure is the board is very very picky about running dual channel with 4gb.

Also if you look in the manual there lots of ram that are recommend to use with 2 sticks but not with 4. Not sure about yours though.

Back