• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Problem with external hard disc

aljosaka

n00b
Joined
Jul 26, 2010
Messages
10
One day my external disc didn't work anymore so I get off his plastic around and connect it direct on the motherboard but there comes the problem. When I boot up computer it finds in the begining this disc but in the middle of loading OS everything stops. So I can't go in the OS.

I tried one other thig. I disconect disc and boot up OS and then connect disc but no luck.

Have onyone some good advice?
 
Use a linux livecd. Like ubuntu. Boot with the drive removed. Plug it in later.
 
Boot to a Seatools disc and see if the drive even shows up, and if it does test it for errors. Probably have a dead hard drive.
 
I don't use Linux..only XP and 7 so this solution is not ok for me.

The linux livecd will give you access to your files which you can can easily copy them to a working hard drive. That is it will give you access as long as the drive is readable..
 
Probably have a dead hard drive.

It may be partially readable. I have seen this a few times at work. I have seen disks where the beginning and end of the drive was readable with a 50GB area of the disk that any access to that portion knocked the disk offline..
 
Will this Seatools program found my disc? Because main problem is that operating system don't find it.
 
It will find the disk if the disk is readable. If the disk is truly bad it can not fix that. No software can. That was the point of using Seatools. Juts to test if the disk was working outside of the os.
 
I don't use Linux..only XP and 7 so this solution is not ok for me.

Yes it is.. the Live CD will not harm anything you currently have.. it will basically be loading a running OS off of the CD into a self created ramdisk to allow you to work.. & when your done take the CD out & reboot & your back to normal.
 
I've installed this Seagate DiscWizard software but I don't know what to do with it? This program is for making image and copies...I really don't know how to use it for my problem.
 
Oh, told you to download the wrong software. My bad. The right advice:

Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

Oh BTW: you voided your warranty when you took apart the external hard drive.
 
How exactly did you connect this disk to the motherboard?
Did you keep the primary OS disk and just added the external disk as secondary?
Since you mentioned the OS started loading with the disk connected, and stopped (which is a weird symptom), there are also 2 things you can try easily:
- Immediately after booting, press the Del key or whatever key calls the BIOS menu on your system. Check out the disk menu to confirm that your disk is visible. There may also be tools in the BIOS to analyze that disk. Make sure not to use any testing tool or feature that performs write or format operations.
- Boot Windows in Safe Mode: Press the F8 key after booting, before Windows starts, to select Safe Mode boot. It will create a log file %SystemRoot%\Ntbtlog.txt that may help debugging your problem, and may even complete the boot successfully.

In any case, you'd better order a new disk or borrow an old one now to have one ready to transfer your data. Is your disk SATA?
 
I connected it in two ways: before turning on the computer and after OS was loaded. Non of this things didn't work. And no it's not SATA disk.

I'll try your two ways now and Danny Buis advice with Data Lifeguard Tools.
 
Hm...I left computer for about 20 mins and it boot up. Now I have some of the data ;).
 
Back
Top