Problem with door on CM WaveMaster

Xilikon

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2008
I have a CoolerMaster WaveMaster and i have also a L.I.S.2 BlueEye LCD display on a 5 1/4" bay (I know it's not the best LCD display). My problem is when i'm working with the computer, i like to keep the door open so i can check the display for my computer stats (temp, rpm, etc...). The door always swing to close too easily and the only way to make it stay open is to tilt the case to the right until the door stay there or swing open a little. This is not the most aesthetic solution so i'm asking anyone here to tell me a better way to keep the door remain in the wanted position.

Removing the door is not a option because it would be pointless to throw away a very nice door I paid for. What i wanted is to have a way which look like it is already build from the factory.

Having not seen the way the door works, in person, all I can say is to suggest that you try tightening any screws involved with the hinges.

You can also try applying a small amount of a very thick grease to the hinge, and work it in. That should make the hinge a little stiffer, and you can wipe off the excess and it will be pretty clean. If you can take the hinge apart and put the grease directly on the "axle" rod, that would be the best way to accomplish that.

I can think of a couple things you could make that might help it, but that would require cutting into your case, and I'm not sure if you want to do that.

Cooler Master's customer service people might have some ideas for you, if this is a common problem.

If you modded a tinted window into the door, then all you'd really see is the lit LCD display. The other bay devices would remain fairly hidden. Other than tightening the hinges and removing the door altogether, that's just about all you can do.

Thanks for the replies and i got a idea to solve this. If the aluminium top is not too thin where the hinge hole is placed, i will drill and tap so i can put a tightening screw there then adjust until the door can swing and stay in any position. Another idea is to try to cut a small plastic filler to be put in the bottom hinge hole then tighten all until it is crushed, thus making it working better.

Tightening the top or bottom supports is not a option because the hinges is shorter than the distance of the holes. Too bad CoolerMaster didn't come with a way to lock the door in the open position.

About adding a window on the door, it is not easily doable because i didn't want to break the curve but i'll see this if my ideas doesn't work well. Maybe that using a flexible plexiglas panel to follow the curve is a nice idea.

Xilikon said:
Maybe that using a flexible plexiglas panel to follow the curve is a nice idea.

That would be pretty sweet. Especially if you used a darlk smoked plexi.

Depending on how the hinge is made... you might be able to just put a small rubber o-ring on the hinge pin to tighten it up.

i played with the door on my wavemaster and i dont get how yours doesnt stay open... is it on a flat surface? if anything, the door wants to stay open once you open it more than half way due to the way it's weighted.

I had the same problem, I took off the hinge parts and put a small piece of rubber from a bike tube in there....

its a little firm now, stays open and closed or half way now, no problems

norky said:
i played with the door on my wavemaster and i dont get how yours doesnt stay open... is it on a flat surface? if anything, the door wants to stay open once you open it more than half way due to the way it's weighted.
Mine is put on a pretty flat surface but the hinge is turning so freely (like it was on ball bearings) it is really hard to keep it in a position i want unless i tilt the case. When the case is tilted to make the door keep stay in any position, it seems like a "Pise tower", too much inclined to the right.

I'll try dbwillis suggestion and put a rubber part. I might find a thicker rubber part from some spare ones i keep and cut a piece to fill the hinge holes then squeeze the hinges into it to make it more firmer.

i have a coolermaster wavemaster and the door stays open fine

u could try wedging a spring in between the hinge of the door and the area next to the drive bays... kinda hard to explain...

other than that... u might want to get out your favorite cutting tool :D

I put some rubber pieces in the holes where the hinges is placed and it worked fairly well, not swinging to close. This will be a temporary solution until i find a way to insert a window on the door while looking professionally made.

kool... sounds like a plan...

window modding will be tough tho... the case is metal (as is the door) and it has a curved design, so... get some bendable glass :D or plastic

Back