Problem with an item arriving DOA

Antheus

Gawd
Hey all, I've just recently bought a video card for a new computer that I've determined to be non-working. I e-mailed the trader who insists he tested the card on a 24 hour loop of 3Dmark before sending it with no problems, but the card simply does not work for me (from the moment the comp starts artifacts all over) and I've spent all day trying to figure it out and aside from testing the card in another computer which I can't do there's nothing more I can do to test it (another card in the same system works fine).

Now I really want to give the trader the benefit of the doubt here, but I insist I did everything right on my end (video card literally went out of its package and into the computer) and he insists he did everything right (tested the card beforehand, was working).

Now at this point I really don't know what is proper to do. Anyone have some advice?

how was the packaging done?

was the video card well protected?

thats the main clue in determining what action to take

if he didnt protect it well, then he needs to refund you the money.

if he did put protection so that the card doesnt get damage. than the card most likely was bad already which also counts as a refund

card was packaged well, came in an anti-static bag. It was all well shipped, just doesn't work. I'll keep you guys updated, thanks for the advice so far.

Have you considered that it may be an inadaquete power supply or an overheating issue in your case?

Something else to consider, Was it advertised as, as is ,and was a return/refund statement in the initial post? Guaranteed no doa? Not to say you're stupid, but the the card have a place for a molex to plug in? Some cards need thier own power source.

Sorry to hear that hop it gets resolved. And "24 hour loop of 3Dmark"? Maybe thats what killed it. Thats a very long time to stress a card.

I would do what others have suggested. And no, a 24h loop won't kill the card :eek:. However, the seller claiming he ran it for 24 hours raises some eyebrows, since that's a bit overkill for testing a video card and seems unlikely to go to that extent.

It was not sold as is, the thread now just says "SOLD" in it so can't check. All the other threads he has up say guaranteed not DOA. The card is a 7600GT with an aftermarket cooler (zalman i believe) and if it were an overheating issue it shouldn't take place from the second the computer starts but rather after a few seconds for the card to heat up a bit. There is no molex connector for the card. I considered the possibility of the PSU, but I don't have a more powerful PSU to test, and it's very unlikely. It's running a 450W antec trupower 2.0, and the problem would occur with just video card, motherboard, processor, and ram. And the card isn't that powerhungry to begin with (hence no molex for the card). Also running a different PCI-e card (albeit a less power hungry one i'm sure, an x300) and 2 hard drives + 1 optical worked flawlessly.

Artifacting is caused by a hosed gpu or vid mem, rarely by inadequate power or heat.

It's very possible that either of you could have killed it with static too.

What's the RMA process like for those cards? If you can get an exchange, then send it back to the seller and get a refund. Or have the seller try to claim the insurance on the card. Either way, I think it almost always lies on the seller to fix these problems, the buyer should be responsible for the return shipping at most.

and what's the correct way to have an item returned or even to ask for it? Does he refund the money first and then i ship, do i ship first, or what...this guy hasn't responded to my e-mail yet and it took him a couple days to respond to my initial e-mail, at what point do I say screw it and attempt a claim via. paypal?

Well if it was me selling the card I'd like it back before I refunded the money just to verify serials and such.

Antheus said:
and what's the correct way to have an item returned or even to ask for it? Does he refund the money first and then i ship, do i ship first, or what...this guy hasn't responded to my e-mail yet and it took him a couple days to respond to my initial e-mail, at what point do I say screw it and attempt a claim via. paypal?

IIRC you only have 30 days to file a claim..don't let it go past that....proper procedure is you ship the card back, he refunds....But make sure you use tracking with signature conformation... so you can track the card back to him...if it looks like its getting close to the 30 days, and you cant reach him, do the chargeback, and hold the card until its resolved..if it goes in your favor, ship the card back then.

Approaching the 30 day mark now and he hasn't responded to e-mails...tomorrow morning if he hasn't yet responded I'm going to just make a claim. Not sure what the rules are but should I post the user's name here?

I would give the seller the benefit of the doubt, but also file a claim with Paypal within your 30 days. You should note that you have attempted to contact the seller multiple times.

You should also find someplace to test the card in another computer.

Hi, i am the seller that is being bad mouthed here, id like to state firstly, i am a computer technician of 8 years, i know how to properly diagnose failing hardware, and how to determine whether it is faulty. I had this EVGA reference 7600gt card in a gaming machine for 2 weeks, and never once had problems with it, it's standard procedure to run a 24hr stress test on any hardware(in my book) to make sure that the hardware is stable before its being sold.

With that being said, i have not received any of the emails that have been claimed sent to me, but i really wish i would have saw this thread earler before the buyer went apeshit with these "troll" claims, its a cheap video card ,and if refunding his money is what it takes to make him happy, so be it, ill bite the bullet, but id rather not. I am more than happy to work with the buyer, so please message me again and we'll get this straitened out.

Thanks
Tom

To be fair to the buyer, he didn't personally bad mouth you in any of his posts. He merely stated the fact that his card didn't work and he was concerned because he couldn't get in touch with you.

It looks like you're taking great steps to make sure the situation is resolved, and it looks like it will be to the satisfaction of both parties.

Thankfully this is a evga card. You "Should" have a awesome warranty with this card. Looks like time to rma the card and get a replacement most likely.

as was said, I specifically didn't mention any names. I made the thread not to "out a troll" because I did give you the benefit of the doubt but simply to find out what the right thing to do was and if I was overreacting. I didn't get responses to e-mails you never got, makes sense. Now that we are in contact I will be sending the card out today or tomorrow and refunding for the shipping and hopefully everything will be resolved shortly. Thanks for all the advice in the thread guys, may have been a bit premature but it can be a very scary thing when things go wrong =).

edit: and to his defense w00tmkay has been very cordial in this dealing

Hum, eVga has lifetime warrenty. Why not apply for an RMA on the card rather than have 4 way shipping costs?

Yes they allow it but it must have the stock cooler attached in order to be RMA'd.

Well in this case it sounds much cheaper to put up a WTB for a 7600gt stock cooler, and pay the $10 + shipping.

I don't think it's wrong to ask for the supposedly "bad" parts back before you refund anyones money. What's to keep a dishonest buyer from keeping your good parts, and getting his money back too? Look at this way, would ANY MFG send you a new part, without you returning the defective part first? Not very likely.

BIGDADDY51 said:
I don't think it's wrong to ask for the supposedly "bad" parts back before you refund anyones money. What's to keep a dishonest buyer from keeping your good parts, and getting his money back too? Look at this way, would ANY MFG send you a new part, without you returning the defective part first? Not very likely.
Actually some do...in fact, I just got a replacement battery from Dell without sending the old one back first.

And to the OP, did you ever think the Zalman cooler shifted during transport and just needed thermal compound reapplied and the cooler reinstalled properly? Artifacting can quite often be caused by excessive heat in my experience and a non seated cooler could cause the almost instant artifacting.

i got the card back today, it left my house in working order, after taking the vf700 off the card and taking a look at the core, looks like somewhere between leaving my doorstep and the buyer getting it, the core got cracked pretty good. I'm going to refund the sellers money and install the stock cooler and rma this card.Here's a picture of the cracked core , major bummer.......

http://tgeml.sytes.net/images/h/7600.jpg

Tom.

Sucks that the core chipped, but good to see you are making good on the refund. Hopefully this is all resolved now?

i got the card back today, it left my house in working order, after taking the vf700 off the card and taking a look at the core, looks like somewhere between leaving my doorstep and the buyer getting it, the core got cracked pretty good. I'm going to refund the sellers money and install the stock cooler and rma this card.Here's a picture of the cracked core , major bummer.......

http://tgeml.sytes.net/images/h/7600.jpg

Tom.

I can tell you that they'll send it back as is. EVGA checks every RMA for physical damage when it comes in just for that very reason so expect to get that card back. The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship not damages cause by poor packaging during shipping, the misuse of the owner, rough handling during shipping or damage caused by or during putting on an aftermarket cooling solution. Trying to make them eat your problem is tres uncool, you should've shipped it insured so that if it got damaged in transit (as seems to be the case) then the shipper pays for the damages.

I can tell you that they'll send it back as is. EVGA checks every RMA for physical damage when it comes in just for that very reason so expect to get that card back. The warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship not damages cause by poor packaging during shipping, the misuse of the owner, rough handling during shipping or damage caused by or during putting on an aftermarket cooling solution. Trying to make them eat your problem is tres uncool, you should've shipped it insured so that if it got damaged in transit (as seems to be the case) then the shipper pays for the damages.

I was gonna say that, but didn't really feel like typing it out...:)

Paypal rarely will help you if you actually received the item.

Back