Problem with 5700 XT black screen

mrpickem

n00b
I built a new pc in Dec with parts bought around BF. 3600X / MSI 570 Gaming Edge WiFi / 32 GB OLO 3200 / Gigabit Gaming OC 5700 XT / NVMe 1TB / EVGA 650 Gold

When I first put it together I used a GTX 1070 for a few months while deciding which gpu to buy and looking for a deal. System ran great, temps good and never crashed for at least 3 months. Fan noise is loud but that's another story. Fast forward a little over a week ago and I seen a sale on the 5700XT for 369 at newegg so I jumped on it. Removed drivers, switched out cards and installed latest AMD drivers(20.2.2). Now after anywhere from 39 minutes to a few hours the screen goes black. It doesn't matter if I'm gaming or just browsing the web. Crazy thing is if I power the monitor off and back on, video comes right up and works fine until it happens again. I'm using a Lenovo 32Q-20 monitor(75Hz at 1440) which I was also using with the 1070 without issues. I have other cables and will likely try them next although the one I'm using is the best quality one I have and the one I been using. Really love the system if I could only correct this issue...and then get a quieter cooler/fans.

TIA for any suggestions

Wow, I am running the same mobo and RAM almost with a 5700xt. Here is how I avoided the blackscreens.

-Set the PCI-e Link speed to 3.0 in BIOS

-Use Driver 19.12.1

I only had the blackscreen issues when connecting my VR headset causing me to restart the system. Try this method and let me know if it solves it. I believe it will. i have been going 3 weeks without a single black screen. All of the 2020 drivers are garbage IMO. They need to go back to the old control panel as something is clearly conflicting with the new software with its excessive use and polling in the background.

i only had problems with the 20.2.* versions. i'd ddu and install to the newest 20.4.1 and if that still black screens the do that ^^^

I would reset the cmos as the mother board may still be married to the 1070GTX .. it's the only way to start from the beginning of a new install and you can also turn off FreeSync in your display to see if that helps .

So I was running a 5700xt on my media box in the living room with a 2500k @ 5ghz and it blackscreened roughly 5x per day. Tried every driver, every setting/fix/tweak/registry ect and never got better. It was worse when running videos or surfing the web (videos loading on every page nowadays). I think it had to due with the powerstate and the ramp up from idle. Running vlc was the WORST. Black lock at virtually every other use.

I switched that pc out to a 3600 @ 4.5 all core and have seen 3 black screens in 1 month. Where did I see the black screen you ask? VLC media player.

I think it's really hardware combinations, and that's why AMD is having such a rough time replicating, and then fixing the issue. It could be stable on 9/10 configs, but that one mix, devastating.

At this point, either switch out hardware if you can't fix it, or start playing the driver lottery. The second January drivers, or the september 19 drivers were the best of all that I tested. I wasn't able to test the April drivers as I had already switched out to the 3600 alleviating the issues.

Had one game that would not load and would go to a black screen AC Oddessy . Was pulling my hair out. Thought it was the video card. For some reason I just looked at notifications and found out that a application was blocking it.MSI afterburner turned off app. and no futher problems I hope.

My 5700xt would give me freezes and black screens. I still get a black screen once in a long while (weeks) but usually if i unplug my monitor or power it off and then on, it brings the desktop back up. What seemed to help stability for me was to auto undervolt.

I believe there are two problems with this card model: The driver situation and the overheating situation. This is the stuff of nightmares for system builders. I pushed through it even though there were times I had my hand on the RMA button.

Are these drivers trying to do too much? Are they trying to be too intelligent and micro manage everything? It seems like there is a lot of metrics going on. Shave off the excess and give us a basic stable driver option, then when AMD fixes everything, we can adopt certain features.

I found out I can just install the driver only and all problems disappear but the features no longer work. MSI AFB works but can’t have it both ways for everything I use.

Right now, I just have this feeling. What I'm going to say I have no evidence for, but I has a sneaking suspicion that they created "intelligent " software and by intelligent I mean in the worst way possible: Telemetry, hand holding, nanny state, big brother.

Even if you opt out of sending data to them, has anybody found packets leaving their computers and heading to AMD? Data collection is big money and isn't used just to spy on people, but to create better products. Are Radeon customers being made the guinea pigs in some next level telemetry and micro managing scheme?

I am just going to throw stuff out here it might be meaningless or who knows i might hit a bulls eye while blindfolded. What if AMD was preparing software for their video cards because the next gen cards are going to be massive power consumers... so much so that they would fail EPA standards and the only way around it would to be aggressively throttle cards, which seemed to be one of the main concerns with the 5700 series. Throttling and ramping up.

Right now, I just have this feeling. What I'm going to say I have no evidence for, but I has a sneaking suspicion that they created "intelligent " software and by intelligent I mean in the worst way possible: Telemetry, hand holding, nanny state, big brother.

Even if you opt out of sending data to them, has anybody found packets leaving their computers and heading to AMD? Data collection is big money and isn't used just to spy on people, but to create better products. Are Radeon customers being made the guinea pigs in some next level telemetry and micro managing scheme?

I am just going to throw stuff out here it might be meaningless or who knows i might hit a bulls eye while blindfolded. What if AMD was preparing software for their video cards because the next gen cards are going to be massive power consumers... so much so that they would fail EPA standards and the only way around it would to be aggressively throttle cards, which seemed to be one of the main concerns with the 5700 series. Throttling and ramping up.

get this guy a titanic sized tinfoil hat, lol.. if you're going to try to push a conspiracy, don't be like all the others and actually do your research before spewing that stuff. none of what you said has remotely anything to do with whats going on with navi cards.

if that shit was even remotely the case the issues would effect all radeon cards, as of right now it seems to be tied to just navi cards. i'd lean more to agree with what oldmanbal said with it probably being tied to the idle to 3d clock ramp up and maybe the voltage isn't increasing fast enough or it's over volting and causing some kind of over voltage protection issue within the card it's self.

Reactions: amenx
like this
"Set the PCI-e Link speed to 3.0 in BIOS"

This. 100%. I'm even on the latest drivers on my 5700XT rig and doing this has solved this problem for me.

Any OC or undervolt? Because this is exactly what you would expect from unstable clocks/voltage.

I have the MSI Evoke 5700 OC flashed to 5700 XT with an undervolt to 1.15v. Only time I've gotten black screens was from overclocking/undervolting too far. Running on X470 Taichi Ultimate BIOS 3.94 and 3950X, absolutely no issues with triple monitor.

Like others have said force link speed to PCIe 3.0 in BIOS (this will not bottleneck a 5700 XT in the slightest). I would also run DDU in safe mode and install 20.2.2 or 20.4.1.

Back