DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
x850XT
Raptor 74G SATA
WD 160G SATA
Fortron Bluestorm 500W
OCZ 512 VX Gold clocked at 2-2-6-2

We went into the BIOS to overclock the CPU:
Voltage was 1.55
The FSB wont go higher than 230 at 9x and still load windows.
This doesnt make sense to me. :confused:
I found this wierd because generally if a board wont accept an overclock it just wont boot, wont get through HD check, nothing. But his will go through the HD check, backing up CMOS then nothing. No windows, it just freezes. I've heard that this problem can be traced to the SATA HDs. Is this true.

i don't think the nf4 has the sata locking issues the nf3 did. even so, try the sata drives are in the slot nearest to the cpu anyhow.

and, are you dropping your ram divider? or upping the voltage? VX needs a fairly unhealthy amount of voltage to really get anywhere.
and did you lock the pci-e bus?
drop the ht multi to 4x?

there's a lot of unknowns here ;)

the ram voltage is 3.5 which is quite a bit and I have tried reducing the RAM multiplier, still the same result. We were wanting to know if we could keep trying different things or to just say "its the CPU, were done."

it would be terrible if a winchester is topping out at 2070 :(
did you try dropping the cpu multi too and seeing how high the htt (aka 'fsb') goes?

we have dropped the FSB and still cant get it any higher, in comparison, than it is now.
we have not tried a different BIOS. But this week, being spring break, my friend is going to be out of town so I cant really try anything until he gets back

What's the stepping? Bought mine a couple of weeks ago from ZZF with CBBID 0503 stepping. Best I can do so far is about 2.2Ghz. Does 9x247 and 8x275 fine but no higher so far.

Back