Problem booting with XP

jcll2002

2[H]4U
Hi I've been having this problem where my system essentially hangs at the welcome screen for a bit then displays solely my background for a minute or two with no HDD activity, then loads normally.

I tried disconnecting all my USB crap to no avail. I've also run spyware/virus scans in safe mode with nothing coming up.

The thing is I can get into safe mode (with networking) really quickly without this delay, so does that say something? I'm starting to get irritated, but I would really like to not have to reformat.

Thanks

I checked the event log and got this:

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 service to connect." -- system error. I tried rebooting with this service disabled and then again with it automatic to no avail.

"Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0."

"Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired."

Disable any 3rd party app you have running at startup one by one and see what happens.

would it have something to do with the network connection because of what the errors say?

Back