Probably buying base MacBook Pro 14"

That's the nice thing about (service).
Need for service is usually non existent outside of user error!

That's the nice thing about (service).
Need for service is usually non existent outside of user error!
tl;dr below.

I haven't been using Mac's for that long, at least I wouldn't consider it that long. "Just" 2008. And even as much as I'd say I have no interest in moving back to Windows, I admit that there have been plenty of things that required over the years.

My 2008 Macbook Pro developed a strange bend that they would do nothing about (technically just aesthetics, but it was the entire case). It also had the nVidia GPU burnout issue. That was covered under Apple care and required entire replacement of the mainboard. It also had a speaker failure which I replaced myself.

2011 27" iMac had multiple DVD-burner failures. Optical continued to work, but burning did not. I think either there is a manufacturing fault or just optical slot drives just can't survive a long time. It also had speaker failures, which I replaced myself.
I still own this machine, but it's in an unworkable state because the PSU has burned out. The iMac's PSU however is user serviceable (if you don't mind removing the glass/LCD screen etc etc). I'll do it eventually, but because I don't need this computer to do any form of work, it's just not a priority. And it's total value anyway even if it did work is maybe $300.

2019 15" Macbook Pro had a swollen battery, which was repaired for free even though I didn't have Apple Care. They considered it a manufacturing fault, which I appreciated.

While not directly Mac related, I just had a pair of AirPod Pros with a crackling headphone and massive volume drop in one bud. There was no repair available and replacement just didn't make financial sense. They recommended I replace both as both were considered damaged by them, but considering each replacement is $89, even the service tech recommended I just buy new Airpods or Beats over spending $180 for two replacement ear buds.

This one kind of upset me, because I did purchase Apple Care, which I never used, but was now outside of that window. It does tell me that they look at the product as being disposable. I'm not as hardcore into right to repair as some, but here I can see a point. Either the cost of replacement needs to come down in certain circumstances (such as damage as opposed to loss) or they need to be serviceable so as to bring down cost. If "repair" would've been $40 each, I would've gladly paid $80 to repair both of my earbuds rather than buy a new set of AirPod Pro 2's. Though I have to admit the new AirPod Pro 2's are so much better than v1's, I still would rather have the $200 in my pocket.

tl;dr - The point is, I've owned quite a few different machines, and just the odds of eventually running into a hardware fault or failure is inevitable given enough time. I assume the Apple ARM machines will fair much better than those previous machines due to tighter integration, much better manufacturing technology, much higher quality of components, etc vs 15 years ago. However I still think that faults will continue to come. And whether or not each individual person is willing to put up with the headaches, cost, and downtime is kind of up to that person.

I know a few people where that was a turn off. They liked Mac's, the ecosystem, etc, but weren't willing to put up with the high cost of the machine and then the high cost of repair if a repair was necessary.

Fortunately mine were fixed under recalls - 2011 17" mbp nvidia chip, 2017 butterfly keyboard. Keyboard replacement was great because I got a new battery and mine had 330 cycles on it!

Certainly there were many issues for sure but overall I'd say I just like the hardware and "it just works" mentality in the workplace. I did have a high end 2017 mbp just die (shut off when editing video) and sent it in and it cost $900 for a new logic board. Fortunately it was purchased with AMEX and their "double warranty" covered it entirely. Too bad (AMEX) no longer offers the service.

For Dell laptops, so many issues and service was just criminal, ex. rejecting repairs due to water damage when the system never left a desk and the returned system had red stickers they attached and claimed were water damage indicators! Since we used to spend $150k a year with Dell we decided it would be easier to make that $0 then pursue legal action!

Lenovo laptops are much better anyhow (thinkpad x1 vs. xps or precision) and we get far better deals on similar hardware to boot.

Everyone has their experience and story to tell for sure. Just as you go on any car board you have folks defending their Dodges, Fords, or BMWs. ;-)

Does the power supply for the CalDigit Element Hub support universal voltage? Can I buy one from the US (110-120V) and use it where I am (220-230V)?

Does the power supply for the CalDigit Element Hub support universal voltage? Can I buy one from the US (110-120V) and use it where I am (220-230V)?
Not specified, you would have to call them.
Most switch mode supplies today will run on ac 50-60Hz and DC with input voltage range 85 to 270 volts however. It will be printed on the adapter.

Got my answer in the following YouTube review:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2wUAb1nKMg

1703786193666.png

Do you guys use Stage Manager?
No. I don't even think it works well on iPad Pro.
I 'get' what Apple was trying to do, but it's an ineffective task management system. I like that they 'try' new paradigms, but this isn't one that works.

I got the CalDigit Element Hub about a week ago.

I have a question regarding charging. When I didn't have the Element Hub yet, I had my original Apple charger connected to my MacBook (which is used on a desk 24/7 plugged in) and with Optimized Charging enabled. It would limit the max charge to 80% but every 6-7 days would drop a percent. So from 80% it would go down to 79% after 6 days and then 78% after another 6 days, etc. With both the Apple charger and Element Hub connected, the charge has been holding at 80%. "System Information" shows that the charger being used is the 70W Apple Charger and is not currently charging because of the Optimized Charging limit.

I wanted to know that is the Element Hub "topping up" the charge to 80% even thought System Information is stating that the 70W Apple Charger is the one being used? Can two chargers charge at the same time? Or is this all a coincidence that it started happening after I got the Element Hub and it is due to some other reason?

Also, with both the Element Hub and the 70W Apple charger connected, the Element Hub will periodically cool down by itself and then warm up by itself with nothing connected to it or me using the hub. Could this signify that it is "topping off" the charge to 80% or periodically being used to charge the MacBook? If it is "topping off" the charge to 80%, isn't this really bad for the battery since it keeps getting charged to 80% when it drops below that level?

I got the CalDigit Element Hub about a week ago.

I have a question regarding charging. When I didn't have the Element Hub yet, I had my original Apple charger connected to my MacBook (which is used on a desk 24/7 plugged in) and with Optimized Charging enabled. It would limit the max charge to 80% but every 6-7 days would drop a percent. So from 80% it would go down to 79% after 6 days and then 78% after another 6 days, etc. With both the Apple charger and Element Hub connected, the charge has been holding at 80%. "System Information" shows that the charger being used is the 70W Apple Charger and is not currently charging because of the Optimized Charging limit.

My work MacBook Pro is now showing 77% charge but this is after a few weeks of not rebooting the machine. The battery life is at 88%. This is after about a year and a half of service, mostly plugged in with the occasional off power brick computing.

My work MacBook Pro is now showing 77% charge but this is after a few weeks of not rebooting the machine. The battery life is at 88%. This is after about a year and a half of service, mostly plugged in with the occasional off power brick computing.
How are you charging the MacBook? MagSafe, Apple charger with USB-C, or powered USB-C hub that has the ability to charge? Do you have any powered USB-C hubs connected while charging?

How are you charging the MacBook? MagSafe, Apple charger with USB-C, or powered USB-C hub that has the ability to charge? Do you have any powered USB-C hubs connected while charging?

Apple power brick only (USB-C to MagSafe ending). I'm pretty old-school in that I have no other USB devices attached. HDMI to (usually) my wife's 49" TV is the only other connection.

Apple power brick only (USB-C to MagSafe ending). I'm pretty old-school in that I have no other USB devices attached. HDMI to (usually) my wife's 49" TV is the only other connection.
It's been 10 days since my last restart and the charge is still at 80%. I got the Element Hub 8 days ago. By this time, without the Element Hub connected, I would be down to 78-79%. Something is charging the MacBook to keep it at 80% even though System Information is saying only the 70W Apple charger (with MagSafe) is being used to charge the MacBook and is not currently charging.

It's been 10 days since my last restart and the charge is still at 80%. I got the Element Hub 8 days ago. By this time, without the Element Hub connected, I would be down to 78-79%. Something is charging the MacBook to keep it at 80% even though System Information is saying only the 70W Apple charger (with MagSafe) is being used to charge the MacBook and is not currently charging.
My M2 Air's battery typically stays at 78% - 80% while plugged in and on my desk. I use a Satechi 160W fast charger w/4 USB-C ports. The battery icon displays the little lightning bolt (charging), but I can't recall the last time the battery was 100%. I think this is just the way Apple's battery maintenance works.

Back