• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Pro Audio amp for a subwoofer?

killernoodle

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
2,634
I have an older model HTD level 3 12" subwoofer and the plate amp on the back tends to blow out fuses a lot. Just today, it blew out a fuse as soon as I put one in, so I'm thinking the amp is going bad somehow. I'm thinking about converting it to a passive woofer and just buying a pro audio style mono amplifier and hooking it up to the LFE channel on my receiver, is there any problem with going with a setup like this?
 
Why don't just take it to a technician and have him fix it for you? :confused:
 
Good point. I'm probably going to upgrade soon, just wish I had some $$ to spend or some tools available to put the driver in a sonosub enclosure of some kind.
 
Fryguy8 said:
this is what I do, it works well.

What amp do you use? Or rather, got any recommendations for the OP? I'm looking to do the same thing with a Klipsch SW-12 II whose amp costs just as much to fix as a new amp (that can be used with other subwoofers as well!). Sorry for the hijack, but at least it's still on topic. :(
 
If it costs more than $150 to fix it.. then you might try getting a new plate amp from partsexpress. I used one on my 15" tempest. make sure you check dimensions of the amp.
 
vexeus said:
What amp do you use? Or rather, got any recommendations for the OP? I'm looking to do the same thing with a Klipsch SW-12 II whose amp costs just as much to fix as a new amp (that can be used with other subwoofers as well!). Sorry for the hijack, but at least it's still on topic. :(
Isn't this something like the Klipsch SW-12 sub amp?: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-752

edit: or perhaps the 300w model: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-750
 
Try the Crown XTI series amps. The highest end model, which sells for a modest $999, can be bridged to 3200 watts at 4 ohms.

Of course, this amp will blow most any driver right off the enclosure, so this may not be viable. Crown makes several other professional amps that should fit the bill, however.
 
Problem is I'd have to cut the enclosure up to make it fit, and thats something that I dont have tools for here at school.

I think I'm better off getting a new one anyways. Whats a good sub for < $250 for about 50% music and 50% HT?
 
killernoodle said:
Problem is I'd have to cut the enclosure up to make it fit, and thats something that I dont have tools for here at school.

I think I'm better off getting a new one anyways. Whats a good sub for < $250 for about 50% music and 50% HT?
The Bic H-100 is currently the $220~$250 favorite over at the AVS forums. It's mentioned in nearly every other thread in their subwoofer forum.

This ebay seller is accepting "best offers" of $190, $195 & $200 (depending on his mood apparently?). He is an authorized Bic dealer to boot.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up getting a Behringer A500 (500W @ 8 ohms bridged mono) for my Klipsch SW-12II made passive. It seems to be pretty good from reviews and recommendations and such for the moderate price of $179.95 with free shipping. Bought today shipped today from here:

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--s-behringer-a500.html

Here's a fun little article relating to this particular amp:

http://www.matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm

Of course I can't REALLY recommend it as I don't have it yet, but those were the things that helped make the decision for me.

Also, if you're looking into getting a new active sub, here's a few recommendations made for me over at the AVS forums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722913
 
Back
Top