Pro-7800gtx and beyond ported to AGP Petition Nvidia plz read

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Please sign the petition if you too believe the AGP port is not dead and you too desire the latest 7800gtx to be ported (no pun intended) to it.

I know i do.

Rest in peace AGP. You were good to me since 1999 with my First AGP card, the Voodoo 3 3000.

I hate to break it to you, but NVIDIA is probably not going to read this. However, we don't know for a fact (yet) that they won't release an AGP 7800.

I have a agp system works great in games and now they are forcing everyone to spend another 300 bucks on a new system. They should just make both agp and pci-e. Where is this petition.

I agree, it's much too soon to dump the agp users. I am very happy with my NF7-SR2, it does anaything I need for now, and I am sure into the future. It's mostly a dam toy, a tool, and not in need of replacing, it works too well!

RIP AGP, you were good to me, but now your dead...

BTW: there not going to make a AGP 7800GTX, and there will be no further AGP...

You can buy your self a PCIe mobo cheap now, and you should allready have a new Pentium or AMD64 to put on it, if you dont then its time to upgrade that CPU as well.

Quick EDIT: if your on an older AGP platform like a Nforce2, then you CPU is too weak to feed a 7800GTX anyway.. the people really getting screwes are like Nfore3 useres where they might have a good 2500Mhz AMD 64 with AGP, that it very capable of running a 7800GTX. But anyone with AlthlonXP should not even bother with a 7800GTX untill theey upgrade that CPU and board

Conker said:
I have a agp system works great in games and now they are forcing everyone to spend another 300 bucks on a new system. They should just make both agp and pci-e. Where is this petition.

If you have an AMD 939 CPU and PC3200 Memory already like me, then the upgrade from AGP to PCI-E is as easy as a ~$100 motherboard. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me if you're already spending $600 on a graphics card. :)

|(illa Bee hit it right on the head too imho.

I(illa Bee said:

You can buy your self a PCIe mobo cheap now, and you should allready have a new Pentium or AMD64 to put on it, if you dont then its time to upgrade that CPU as well.

Quick EDIT: if your on an older AGP platform like a Nforce2, then you CPU is too weak to feed a 7800GTX anyway.. the people really getting screwes are like Nfore3 useres where they might have a good 2500Mhz AMD 64 with AGP, that it very capable of running a 7800GTX. But anyone with AlthlonXP should not even bother with a 7800GTX untill theey upgrade that CPU and board
My computer isnt even a year old. I am only 16 and I can't piss out money to spend on computers. Really I don't even care about the 7800 i just wanted to accomplish getting an agp version made, lol.

an agp version is possible since the 7800 uses less power than the 6800 series

but i doubt nvidia will do it since with even the fastest processor the graphics card is cpu bound.

dont fret though mid range 7800 series cards will be agp.

Yeah, just be patient... the 7800GTX is just out and there is more to come for sure in the coming weeks, including some agp parts.

I(illa Bee said:
I bet the guy around here who has is mobile 2500+ clocked at 3GHz would disagree with this statement. :D

I understand what you're saying, however. For most of us Socket A users, there's no point in upgrading to anything higher than a 6600GT. But you have to realize that there are some people who have heavily overclocked Mobile Bartons (that would perform as well as some A64's) and others who like to play games at 2048x1536; in which case a Socket A processor wouldn't bottleneck performance because even a 7800GTX would still struggle with most games at that resolution.

In general, however, (myself included) I think that most Socket A users should consider upgrading to a FCPGA939 or LGA775 motherboard before buying such a card.

If there is demand for the AGP parts third party manufacturers will use a bridge chip to make the AGP 7800GTX, nvidia doesn't have to release one, the third party board makers just have to make one.

GVX said:
I bet the guy around here who has is mobile 2500+ clocked at 3GHz would disagree with this statement. :D

I understand what you're saying, however. For most of us Socket A users, there's no point in upgrading to anything higher than a 6600GT. But you have to realize that there are some people who have heavily overclocked Mobile Bartons (that would perform as well as some A64's) and others who like to play games at 2048x1536; in which case a Socket A processor wouldn't bottleneck performance because even a 7800GTX would still struggle with most games at that resolution.

In general, however, (myself included) I think that most Socket A users should consider upgrading to a FCPGA939 or LGA775 motherboard before buying such a card.

a 3ghz AlthlonXP is rare, and even then, it will get out preformed by an althlon64 running 2.5+Ghz.... I went from a Moble Barton 2600+ clocked at a 100% stable 2800Mhz to a s754 3000+ that I overclcoked to 2.3-2.4..and well. the 3000+ was laods faster that the 2.8Ghz barton. then to a s939 3500+ (fried) then got hooked up from AMD with a 3800+ I overclcoked to 2.7 (current) at stock my 3800+ is aster than the 2.8 barton I had..

Guys, dotn get all but hurt over AGP its not worth it, everytime a major change happends some peeps that cant finically keep up get left in the dust, thats life.

Erasmus354 said:
If there is demand for the AGP parts third party manufacturers will use a bridge chip to make the AGP 7800GTX, nvidia doesn't have to release one, the third party board makers just have to make one.

Very ture, MSI has a 6800ultra that has both AGP and PCIe on the same card... you flip it over fore AGP (and im assumming swap the slot bracket around)

but it woudl be a bit waster of money to put a 7800GT on a althonXP rig..some Nf3 useres will like it though

oh well .. i bet if theres no AGP for Nvidia cards... here comes ATI for the win and they will get the sells... I like nvidia and thats what i have in my system but if no AGP card within two months or so and if ATI rls one with AGP .. im going with ATI ... :eek:

I(illa Bee said:

What a load of bullshit.
AGP is not dead; there is zero advantage to PCI-e right now.
I have a K8N-neo2, this boards life span is far from over.
Why should a spend $120 on top of $600 to buy a new gen when there is no performance advantage to PCI-e?
I’m all for progress and raising the bar of lower end machines, but the total move to PCI-e is too quick.
Further more it now makes my resale of my current motherboard harder and worth less money.
I believe at least this generation and perhaps the next should be available in AGP as well.

A AMD 64 3000+ s754 is still a good cpu, and even though the newest cards are CPU bound, that is just extra juice you can pump into higher resolutions and AA and AF. So what if you don't get the highest fps the card is capable of, your fps will be practically constant the more powerful the card gets. It will just hit a wall, but a sweet wall it will be.

JRT said:
What a load of bullshit.
Why should a spend $120 on top of $600 to buy a new gen when there is no performance advantage to PCI-e?

I guess the increased bandwidth which allows for discreet cards to share system memory isn't an advantage? It allows for cheaper cards since there's less ram on the card.

Also, PCI-e makes SLI possible. If you say that SLI doesn't have a performance boost, maybe you should read more. PCI-e is a great technology.

That said, I've no doubts they'll make a 7800 in AGP. DFI just released their nF3 ultra-d board, afterall.

JRT said:
What a load of bullshit.
I’m all for progress and raising the bar of lower end machines, but the total move to PCI-e is too quick.
Further more it now makes my resale of my current motherboard harder and worth less money.
I believe at least this generation and perhaps the next should be available in AGP as well.

What do you mean there's zero advantage to PCI-E right now? If you want the kickass new video card, you need a PCI-E board to be able to use it. Seems like a convincing enough advantage to me.

Also, the idea of PCI-E has to with more than just video cards. The sooner the standard is widely adopted, the sooner we get cool new toys that have nothing to do with video cards, but DO offer a performance advantage.

JRT said:
What a load of bullshit.
That is not the point... when I was a kid some years ago, If this was then, I would have been with you. But I can think logically now after some expirance.

Advantage right now isnt what we are concerned with. AGP has run its course and was good, lived a long time. Now, something new is here PCIe and at its Birth, its equal to AGP... but its still young, it has room to grow and evolve. AGP has already been their done that.

Do you get my point. One architecture is over now, not because it sucks, but because something new has come along.

robberbaron said:
I guess the increased bandwidth which allows for discreet cards to share system memory isn't an advantage? It allows for cheaper cards since there's less ram on the card.

Also, PCI-e makes SLI possible. If you say that SLI doesn't have a performance boost, maybe you should read more. PCI-e is a great technology.

That said, I've no doubts they'll make a 7800 in AGP. DFI just released their nF3 ultra-d board, afterall.

Oh you mean like $600...Yeah, super cheap. SLI is awesome, but it's the price of a system wide computer upgrade, which is "dumb money spent".

Siciliano said:
A AMD 64 3000+ s754 is still a good cpu, and even though the newest cards are CPU bound, that is just extra juice you can pump into higher resolutions and AA and AF. So what if you don't get the highest fps the card is capable of, your fps will be practically constant the more powerful the card gets. It will just hit a wall, but a sweet wall it will be.

And the point of high end graphics cards is to some to get the best image quality possible at a playable framerate, anyways the AGP slot should die...

USMC2Hard4U said:
That is not the point... when I was a kid some years ago, If this was then, I would have been with you. But I can think logically now after some expirance.

Advantage right now isnt what we are concerned with. AGP has run its course and was good, lived a long time. Now, something new is here PCIe and at its Birth, its equal to AGP... but its still young, it has room to grow and evolve. AGP has already been their done that.

Do you get my point. One architecture is over now, not because it sucks, but because something new has come along.

Yeah, I see PCI-E not going anywhere with it's 16x speeds in the next 1 1/2 years. Games haven't even hit the wall for 4x (or is it 8x?).

sculelos said:
And the point of high end graphics cards is to some to get the best image quality possible at a playable framerate, anyways the AGP slot should die...

It would be playable, rofl, are you gonna say, having a X850 XT PE, and then going higher won't make things better, even with a cpu wall? Lets say I get a fluctuating 70 fps in a game at 1600x1200 with full AA and AF, if I got a AGP 7800, it would problably fluctuate much less, if not at all.

Siciliano said:
Oh you mean like $600...Yeah, super cheap. SLI is awesome, but it's the price of a system wide computer upgrade, which is "dumb money spent".

I don't know about you, but I think $50 is pretty reasonable for the performance you get with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121194

And TurboCache NEEDS pci-e in order to have enough bandwidth to use the system memory. You clearly need to read more about PCIe before you can discredit it like this.

Siciliano said:
Yeah, I see PCI-E not going anywhere with it's 16x speeds in the next 1 1/2 years. Games haven't even hit the wall for 4x (or is it 8x?).

TurboCache/HyperMemory cards max out the 16x bus.

robberbaron said:
I don't know about you, but I think $50 is pretty reasonable for the performance you get with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121194

And TurboCache NEEDS pci-e in order to have enough bandwidth to use the system memory. You clearly need to read more about PCIe before you can discredit it like this.

TurboCache/HyperMemory cards max out the 16x bus.

And the performance is pretty sub par. I ofcourse mean using the 16x bus in a game with a real card.

Siciliano said:
And the performance is pretty sub par.

Arguing with you is useless because you deliberately miss my point.

I'm not saying the $50 card will compete with $300 cards. But, the PCI-E allows for a card that can share system ram but still compete with $100-200 AGP cards.

Siciliano said:
Why are you noobs so hell bent on the subject of speed. What about the efficancy and protocols they use, how about that. Tell me which architecture is better. AGP or PCIe.

You cant argue whats faster. Sure, no card uses all the bandwidth AGP 8x gives, but thats not what we are arguingg here. the Question is, which architecture is better.

Some noobs never learn. And as I said before. You also shouldnt be putting your fininical situation into this, this is about what technology is more advanced, not about how you cannot afford a PCIe system.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Why are you noobs so hell bent on the subject of speed. What about the efficancy and protocols they use, how about that. Tell me which architecture is better. AGP or PCIe.

You cant argue whats faster. Sure, no card uses all the bandwidth AGP 8x gives, but thats not what we are arguingg here. the Question is, which architecture is better.

Some noobs never learn. And as I said before. You also shouldnt be putting your fininical situation into this, this is about what technology is more advanced, not about how you cannot afford a PCIe system.

Also, there's the fact that a PCI-E 16x slot provides about 30W more power than an AGP slot. This is important as it makes midrange (X800XL and such) cards not require external power connectors.

robberbaron said:
Arguing with you is useless because you deliberately miss my point.

I'm not saying the $50 card will compete with $300 cards. But, the PCI-E allows for a card that can share system ram but still compete with $100-200 AGP cards.

It's a retarded point you are trying to make, what so if it can max out the 16x bus in a stupid way, and barely have anywhere near decent performance, how is that a reason to phase out AGP, I mean real game performance and actually needing the kind of bandwidth, not switching out memory on the card to make it cheaper. It runs like crap, how is that a reason to phase out AGP. They are practically the same thing as of now and the near future unless game devs ALL OF A SUDDEN need all that wonderous bandwidth, and ofcourse the respectable SLI, are exactly the same.

Siciliano said:
It's a retarded point you are trying to make, what so if it can max out the 16x bus in a stupid way, and barely have anywhere near decent performance, how is that a reason to phase out AGP, I mean real game performance and actually needing the kind of bandwidth, not switching out memory on the card to make it cheaper. It runs like crap, how is that a reason to phase out AGP. They are practically the same thing as of now and the near future unless game devs ALL OF A SUDDEN need all that wonderous bandwidth, and ofcourse the respectable SLI, are exactly the same.
I dont know how long you have been dealing wiith computers, but its not just about the bandwidth.... sigh. Thats not the reason AGP should die, get that thru your skull please.

USMC2Hard4U said:

I can afford, but I am not a bumblefuck who throws his money at something, when his current system still has much room for improvement. I of course mean REALISTIC improvement, so don't go throwing out shit like "OH WELL WE SHOULD STILL BE IMPROVING socket A" I am sorry for being smart with my money instead of just buying all new components for a better architetcture no one is using yet (sans SLI and ok not having to plug in a power connecter)

USMC2Hard4U said:
I dont know how long you have been dealing wiith computers, but its not just about the bandwidth.... sigh. Thats not the reason AGP should die, get that thru your skull please.

AGP hasn't even hit near it's peak yet, and neither have the motherboards that use it, I am all for new technology, but not when it doesn't serve a realistic purpose to me yet.

USMC2Hard4U said:

Give it up. Us people who are actually willing to understand the technology are dummy heads and those who judge the usefulness of something on its cost and nothing else are totally smart and cool.

robberbaron said:
Give it up. Us people who are actually willing to understand the technology are dummy heads and those who judge the usefulness of something on its cost and nothing else are totally smart and cool.

Besides SLI, and not having to plug in 1 power cord, oh and using shitty shared memory cards that make performance worse, what does PCI-E offer right now, that fucking destroys AGP in cost-performance ratio and making it useless. Oh...

robberbaron said:
I guess people just dont understand. I really hope ATi and NVidia dont put out AGP cards so people are forced to eventually switch to PCIe. It will be the new standard, now is a good of time as any to do it.

For all you who love AGP so much, keep loving it. I never said you have to upgrade to PCIe, you still have your last gen cards to keep you busy for a while.

Siciliano said:
Besides SLI, and not having to plug in 1 power cord, oh and using shitty shared memory cards that make performance worse, what does PCI-E offer right now, that fucking destroys AGP in cost-performance ratio. Oh...

I'm not saying AGP is bad. I think it's pretty cool not only for its time, but also now. But PCI-e does everything AGP does and more at a lower cost. So why again should we stick to AGP forever?

No, sign my petition instead! PCI classic forever!

AGP is dead.

Back