Printing over VPN

Hello.

I just installed a new wireless router from TP-Link. The router software has a VPN server built in and I'm able to connect to my home network using OpenVPN. Once connected, it gives me a local network IP, 10.0.0.X. My home network gives out 192.168.0.X addresses. Is there any way I can access the home printer through VPN? I assume I can't find it because I'm on two different networks? I tried to change the range that the VPN server gives to client machines, but it says it conflicts with the other pool and won't let me change it. Any idea's?

Thank you!

You may have to modify a routing table to force requests from the remote PC to the 192.168.0.x range to go though the 10.0.0.x gateway address. If the router docs are any good, should be an example somewhere. Be sure to make a mirror entry so the printer can talk back to the remote PC.

You may have to modify a routing table to force requests from the remote PC to the 192.168.0.x range to go though the 10.0.0.x gateway address. If the router docs are any good, should be an example somewhere. Be sure to make a mirror entry so the printer can talk back to the remote PC.
Yup you need to create a routing rule that allows VPN to talk to internal 192 network.

Thanks for the reply! This is the advanced routing page. Can I use *’s? I’m not sure what to add here.... the local network is 192.168.0.x and the VPN network is 10.8.0.x

Attachments

• C28F2C7F-D1BD-41D4-9FC0-F402D0DF3125.png
    C28F2C7F-D1BD-41D4-9FC0-F402D0DF3125.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 0
Or another route -- is it possible to get both the internal network and the VPN into the same subnet, using the same DHCP server?

There are some NAT settings and the advanced routing page like I posted above.. that’s all I see.

Its been a while since I have dealt with VPNs but I think you need to add a route ON THE REMOTE side something along the lines of 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 with a gateway of 10.8.0.2 -- interface tun0.
You will need a similar route on the HOME side of 10.0.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.8.0.? (depends on what the HOME side lists as the gateway) -- interface tun0.

Why would you need to create a route if the router OP is connecting to for VPN is directly attached to both the VPN user and the printer? The VPN default gateway should already be the router VPN tunnel.

Back