Printer Suggestions?

idyll

n00b
What all-in-one inkjet printer do you guys recommend? Looking to stay under $200, closer to $100 would be better.

IIRC Brother inkjet printers are best at accepting (cheap) third party ink cartridges?

Laser printer suggestions are welcome as well, as long as the toners are cheap..

How often do you print pictures? How often do you print, period?

Do you need "special" features like auto-duplexing or wired-and-wireless Ethernet connections?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-printer/ - I came across this article because my parents are looking for a new laser printer. They mention Samsung and Brother. They also mention a Brother model with scanner. I don't know how valid the article is, but it started me off in my search for a <$150 printer.

Unfortunately my parents wanted a multi-function with fax, so they may go with the Brother 8910 for about $330-$340 at costco or amazon. No color, but probably a good printer. Samsung has an alternative (model 2885, I think. Supports NFC) at $300.

For inkjets, I know that some people with large printing demands use after-market inking systems (some of them are external multi-reservoir rigs). But that, or even just using aftermarket ink = too fragile for some people. My dad tends to break everything, so... this is not an option.

PCmagazine had some printer reviews.

I don't know much else other than to read the features and see what you want: wireless b/g/n, auto-duplex printing and scanning, available toner capacity upgrades and cost-per-page, included toner capacity, paper-tray capacity and monthly duty-cycle and reliability reports, claimed vs measured print-speed, print-quality, noise and power consumption, usb file printing, cloud-print or other features, memory + processing speed, print interface + drivers... etc

I'd go with laser over inkjet any day. If you need to print pictures, take them to Costco.

Brother makes good lasers, and I've had good luck with my little duplexing Samsung. A friend of mine bought an all-in-one laser from Costco for something like $200, and it was a laser. I can't remember, it was either Brother or Canon. He likes it.

I say Canon, and definitely not Epson or HP. I have a Canon Pixma MX922 that I like. As far as budget devices go I have heard Brother is decent, but I'll still go with Canon, myself.

Another laser printer vote here.
Have a Samsung multifunction black & white that's been serving me for quite a while. B&W, scanner, "copier" and fax. Can't speak about it's network as i've never used it but the rest has been fine. (yes i've had to send a few faxes...)
I think It's a SCX-4826FN. My only complaint was one of the feed rollers on the scanner wore out rather fast. Easy and cheap enough replacement though. One thing that I do like is the drum being on the cartridge. Drives up the cost a bit but is good for longevity. (drums in the printer are generally expensive little buggers)

edit: forgot to mention: the best benefit of lasers? they're perfect for those who only print once in a while as there's no ink to dry up and go to waste.

Back